StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to put some LED's under the red lens of my JC Whitney trunk. I went by auto zone and bought some for 21 bucks. They fit great behind the lens and wired up easily(wired them up to my brakes). I really like they way they look. If I want them to come on with turn signal and brake what do I need to do or can I do it. Will turnsignal over ride the brake. Thanks for the help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You'll need a solid state switching device. They are commonly sold to connect trailers with combined brake and stop lights to cars with separate lights.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
How do you plan to create the appropriate difference in brightness between tail lights and brake lights?

If you're using the same LEDs for both, you need more than a switching device; you will have to do some work with resistors and a soldering iron.

I built mine from scratch, modifying my original Givi incandescent lamps, and I spent quite a bit of time finding LEDs of the right brightness. I ended up buying LEDs that were bright enough for brakes, and then cutting their power back for tail light duty. I never got around to having them switch automatically; I just use them for tail lights. If I were motivated to follow Greywolf's advice above, I could get faintsy with 'em like you want to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Bestem top case and I've been thinking of adding some lights to it. Can you post some pictures of your install? I'd like to see what you bought and what your install looks like.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is the final product. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the trunk for the wires to go out. You can see it beside the left rear turn signal. I have it plugged in under the seat with disconnects so I can unplug it and remove the trunk. The strips attach with tape under the red lens. I used white lights for a brighter look coming through the lens.

Attachments

·
38,103 Posts
Red LEDs will put more light through a red lens than white LEDs will. White LEDs, unlike incandescents, do not have much red output and the red lens kills the other colors in the spectrum.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Greywolf. How much brighter do you think it could be. I have thought about adding other strips to stay on all the time or for turn signals. If they are a lot brighter I may add red for the brake lights and use the white ones to stay on all the time.

·
38,103 Posts
That's a good question. I don't have a good answer though. Maybe you could try it and let us know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts