StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
07DL1K
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share a short review of my fork rebuild completed by Adventure Powersports, previously known as Sasquatch Suspension.

I had the fork springs changed to my body weight, with a revalving and new seals etc. I disclosed the spring rate on my rear ohlins shock as well for balance reasons. I have about 1k miles on the forks now.

The work was done incredibly fast once the the parts arrived, very impressive turn around and good communication. I have to admit my forks were nearly (aka almost) damaged by inadequate packing for return shipping. The fork ends were barely poking through the cardboard as were the casted boss for the factory reflectors. Like I said nothing was damaged but it came really close to something happening. I assume packing is kept minimal for shipping cost reasons, but it was a bit below adequate IMO.

Now onto the forks. The spring change is great and appropriate for my body weight. On the rebuild form my main complaint of my factory forks was brake dive AND harsh high speed compression. The rebuild greatly improved the brake dive, which is excellent.

I do have to say though, I cannot really feel an improvement in the high speed compression. In my opinion hard bumps feel pretty dang harsh still. I was not expecting perfection given the antiquity of these machines, merely hoping for a sense of improvement.

If I was doing a fork rebuild again at some point, I would cough up the money for the compression gold valves as I have heard they can offer better compression control. Hope this experience helps other strommers with their future suspension changes. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I have no experience with the Squatch. I went with Jamie for both forks and shock 5 years and 40ish thousand miles ago...still happy. He put cartridge emulators 033.5mm in the forks along with new proper .95kg springs for my weight and riding style, but I have no idea of which ones. The rear was rebuilt using 750lb spring and a re-valve.

DMr Performance Suspension

·
Registered
2008 DL1000
49 Posts
On my 08DL1K I had the rear shock rebuilt by Sasquatch and the front forks worked by DMr Performance.
On the rear shock an Eibach spring part # 0800.225.700 (700 lbs/in rate) was installed. The turn around was not good but it was "Covid Winter" 2020 and I was not in a hurry. Customer service and communication was poor. The shock is now EXCELLENT, I loved it...night and day difference.
On the forks, DMr had excellent customer service, good turn around, a 0.95 kg/mm spring was installed. The new spring and revalving improved both brake diving and the harsh feeling (high speed compression). I ride with my forks raised about 5/16" and the preload adjusters completely out (no preload). Sometimes I think a 0.90 spring would work better. I am 185 lbs and ride solo with 36L side cases.
I think when it comes to suspension work there are different ways to achieve similar results and different suspension tuners have their own tricks and preferences. In my opinion the best option is to upgrade both suspensions (rear/front) at once, with the same shop and have a face to face appointment, which obviously is not always possible.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
For what it's worth:

I had my stock rear upgraded by Sasquatch, because that requires tools and skills that I don't have. For the front, though - once you've got the forks off the bike, 80% of the work is done. There's nothing left to pay someone else for. I dropped in the Cogent kit and reassembled, and it definitely fixed the brake dive and substantially reduced the harshness.

Paying someone else to do the front would have only made sense if I had lacked the means or will to get the forks off the bike.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
On the high speed compression. I did similar to the forks on my 650, same issue only I was expecting it.

It will mellow out some with time but what I cared about wash wash board dirt roads, fantastic there, also fantastic taking poor quality sealed roads.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What are your preload screws set to?

I had both ends rebuilt by APS. He'd set my preload to about the middle, and that was good for my sag settings. But I had the opposite issue: little bumps were very jarring, big bumps were smooth and amazing.

I wound out my (fork) preload all the way, and now those same little bumps are soaked up, and big bumps are too. Very satisfying.

So, just a suggestion: mess with your fork preload and see if that helps.

(Yes, I know preload is singularly used for ride height adjustment, but for some reason it completely helped my issue.)

·
Registered
07DL1K
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every fork diagram I've ever seen, and every how-to thread on fork rebuilds has never made me feel confident I could tackle rebuilding them myself. For the record, I'm not incompetent but when I can't even decipher what the h3ll people are talking about in forums/sites showing rebuilds it doesn't make me feel confident to try myself at all. Plus there are different designs entirely on different bikes, so I await the perfect rebuild thread to be made. Please don't suggest the search bar...

There's always seemingly steps missing (skipped) in threads etc where I'm left scratching my head. So I did the smart thing and left it to someone who understands (at least) the rebuild process.

The spring rates front to rear seem perfect btw, so there is no issue with the balance there. In terms of performance, it's only the high speed compression I'm unhappy with. If I discover a good enough how-to on these showa forks, I would certainly consider working on them myself.

·
Registered
07DL1K
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your preload screws set to?

I had both ends rebuilt by APS. He'd set my preload to about the middle, and that was good for my sag settings. But I had the opposite issue: little bumps were very jarring, big bumps were smooth and amazing.

I wound out my (fork) preload all the way, and now those same little bumps are soaked up, and big bumps are too. Very satisfying.

So, just a suggestion: mess with your fork preload and see if that helps.

(Yes, I know preload is singularly used for ride height adjustment, but for some reason it completely helped my issue.)
Yea I've backed out the preload, and it helped a little bit. I have it on its minimal setting. Any sudden bump (big or small) is a high speed compression issue, whereas more gradual bumps are low speed compression.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
Every fork diagram I've ever seen, and every how-to thread on fork rebuilds has never made me feel confident I could tackle rebuilding them myself.
Every kit is different, and I've only done two. On my '08, I just swapped the springs - easy. On my '21, I swapped the springs and dropped in Cogent's DDC - also very easy with their tool. Neither required any fork disassembly beyond removing the fork from the bike. If you can get the forks off, the rest really is easy, with the Cogent kit. I cannot comment on any other type of modification.

·
Registered
697 Posts
so I await the perfect rebuild thread to be made
Not a thread, but I did find the link to it on this site. Walked me through the whole process for removing, stripping down and rebuilding my front forks. And I am pretty close to incompetent. Used the Racetech site to figure out what stiffness of spring I should put in, disassembled and re-assembled according to this instructions set:

and am riding happily on a much improved ride. I'm not sure if the forks on the second gen wee are the same as the first gen vee, but that link is worth a look.

·
Registered
07DL1K
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every kit is different, and I've only done two. On my '08, I just swapped the springs - easy. On my '21, I swapped the springs and dropped in Cogent's DDC - also very easy with their tool. Neither required any fork disassembly beyond removing the fork from the bike. If you can get the forks off, the rest really is easy, with the Cogent kit. I cannot comment on any other type of modification.
You are the only strommer I've heard speak of Cogent for a dl1000, I know of Cogent from my klr days but I'm unaware of their offerings and/or install process.
Not a thread, but I did find the link to it on this site. Walked me through the whole process for removing, stripping down and rebuilding my front forks. And I am pretty close to incompetent. Used the Racetech site to figure out what stiffness of spring I should put in, disassembled and re-assembled according to this instructions set:

and am riding happily on a much improved ride. I'm not sure if the forks on the second gen wee are the same as the first gen vee, but that link is worth a look.
My understanding is that vee forks are quite different than wee forks, and parts don't interchange besides springs (I believe). That is a better thread, but I'm unaware how/if applicable it is to a vee.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit of a derail…but since we’re talking front suspension; Does preload affect brake dive?
I'll bite....brake dive is caused by both the valving and the spring rate. I do a ton of full threshold braking, so I need heavier valving and springs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts