StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering downsizing to a 2013-2014 Wee and I see a few former ST1300 owners here who have made that change, and I'd love to hear from a few... I just find that the ST1300, while great for trips like my 7000 miler out west last year, really doesn't like to be lugging along at 25-40 mph (most roads around here), and I'm getting tired out throwing around all that heft. I ride 98% solo and my wife hates the highway. This sounds like a great way to get out on more local roads, plus I have a place out in Arizona where this type of bike could open up more possibilities.

I've had my eye on a 2014 DL650 down in Baltimore for $6999 that I could easily fly & ride to get, but I haven't had the chance to ride a Wee or Vee yet. My local dealer only has older models on the floor and a 2014 Tenere. I like the sounds of the DL650 and all reviews I've read seem like it would fit my bill. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and have 1" lifts in my riding boots.

My concerns are 1) What's the difference between the 2013 & 2014 Wee? 2) How would the DL650 be loaded 2-up through the mountains? I'm used to riding a rocket when it comes to passing and acceleration, even weighing in at nearly 1200 pounds fully loaded up. 3) What "accessories" would be tops on the list? My guess (for me) is cases, center stand, skid plate, windshield, hand guards, 12V power, cruise control of some sort. So I'm prolly looking at $9000 when I'm done? My ST1300 is worth around $8500 as is.

That's all I have for now, but I am definitely interested in the "adventure bike" aspect and the Zooks seem to be a reliable, enjoyable bike. I look forward to any feedback ya'll can provide. Thanks!

HW

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I went down a similar path back in '06. Had a Concours, and was tired of the weight and heat.
Bought an '07 Wee and couldn't be happier.
You'll give up some passing power in the mountains, but I've never found it to be a problem. Just an extra downshift usually takes care of it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
You don't need the skid plate for on-road. Add a fork brace. 2013 had blue or white. 2014 offered red or white. That's it. If you're 2-up in the mountains, maybe put on a 14 tooth front sprocket instead of the 15. It only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am looking to get something like a st1300 or fjr for some longer trips, such as a trip out west. Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome. I see some st and fjr on craigslists and see many st1300 with over 50,000 miles. I don't want one with that high of mileage but that is a good sign. I will keep my 650 for weekend trips and what not.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the record, I have a 2008 ST1300 ABS that I bought new. It has 26,000 miles and runs like a top. These machines are notorious for running 150,000 miles EASILY, and we have 1 guy in our [forum] that has over 400,000 on his ST1100. It's a Honda V-4... what more can you say? I have a few farkles on it like Givi E-52 trunk w/Admorelighting, HID, cruise, Stebel, fuse block, Re-molded (Spencer) seat, 12V outlets, etc. It's cost me nothing but tires (PR3), fluids & filters (Rotella T6/Mobil-1) and has had 99% high-test since new. It is in near-mint condition (3/8" rub on left mirror from a van in a garage GRRRR) and worth around $8500 as is. It has a 7.7 gallon tank that I got 350 miles out of while in Yellowstone last year (275 locally and I always fill it up before it starts blinking). It's always on a Tender and gets Seafoam and Stabil in the winter. I have heated gear so I ride if it's not TOO cold to keep the gas fresh :) My longest day was 892 miles Kentucky to Mass. with no fatigue. The ST1300 was built for long distance touring and is a favorite of many Iron Butt riders along with the FJR. If I was to buy a brand new one, I would choose the FJR now since it comes with cruise, electronic suspension and heater grips stock.

I'd insert a pick of mine, but it only allows it from a link, not a file for some reason... even in Advanced mode.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds more than fair for a 2009... is it?

2009 Suzuki DL650 VStrom. 14,500 mile dealer service just completed including valve adjustment. Many extras (see photos) Acerbis hand guards, pyramid front fender extender, PIAA auxiliary lights, GIVI wind screen, GIVI side crash bars, Amotostuff skid plate (Adventure MotoStuff LLC), CRG brake lever, Pazzo clutch lever, Zeta aluminum handlebar & billet aluminum mount, Hepco & Becker aluminum top case, SW Motech aluminum side cases. Meticulously maintained. $5,500 or best offer. Bike currently has 15,500 miles.

Looks like about $1700 in accessories... Again, I can't add a pic for some reason but the bike looks very clean and well set up. I won't be able to go see it until 9/27 (300 miles south) if it's still available.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For the record, I have a 2008 ST1300 ABS that I bought new. It has 26,000 miles and runs like a top. These machines are notorious for running 150,000 miles EASILY, and we have 1 guy in our [forum] that has over 400,000 on his ST1100. It's a Honda V-4... what more can you say? I have a few farkles on it like Givi E-52 trunk w/Admorelighting, HID, cruise, Stebel, fuse block, Re-molded (Spencer) seat, 12V outlets, etc. It's cost me nothing but tires (PR3), fluids & filters (Rotella T6/Mobil-1) and has had 99% high-test since new. It is in near-mint condition (3/8" rub on left mirror from a van in a garage GRRRR) and worth around $8500 as is. It has a 7.7 gallon tank that I got 350 miles out of while in Yellowstone last year (275 locally and I always fill it up before it starts blinking). It's always on a Tender and gets Seafoam and Stabil in the winter. I have heated gear so I ride if it's not TOO cold to keep the gas fresh :) My longest day was 892 miles Kentucky to Mass. with no fatigue. The ST1300 was built for long distance touring and is a favorite of many Iron Butt riders along with the FJR. If I was to buy a brand new one, I would choose the FJR now since it comes with cruise, electronic suspension and heater grips stock.

I'd insert a pick of mine, but it only allows it from a link, not a file for some reason... even in Advanced mode.
I'm leaning towards the FJR because of those reasons. The ST does sounds like an awesome bike though!

As for the picture you have to get an account at something like photobucket, upload there and then link it to here.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This sounds more than fair for a 2009... is it?

2009 Suzuki DL650 VStrom. 14,500 mile dealer service just completed including valve adjustment. Many extras (see photos) Acerbis hand guards, pyramid front fender extender, PIAA auxiliary lights, GIVI wind screen, GIVI side crash bars, Amotostuff skid plate (Adventure MotoStuff LLC), CRG brake lever, Pazzo clutch lever, Zeta aluminum handlebar & billet aluminum mount, Hepco & Becker aluminum top case, SW Motech aluminum side cases. Meticulously maintained. $5,500 or best offer. Bike currently has 15,500 miles.

Looks like about $1700 in accessories... Again, I can't add a pic for some reason but the bike looks very clean and well set up. I won't be able to go see it until 9/27 (300 miles south) if it's still available.
That sounds like a descent deal. I do not know much about the pre 2012. Mine is a '13. I believe they are very similar, the '12 and up I believe have slightly more electrical output, and slightly better suspension. And of course the styling is different.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my local dealer is bringing in a 2104 Wee for Saturday so I can test ride it. Weather forecast is sunny and 75° so hopefully it will work out. I'm going to try and get it for $7500 out the door if I like it and then will sell my ST1300 in the spring for around $8000-$8500.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Get the new model wee. It is a great looking scoot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did the same thing myself so I'll share my experience. YMMV.

I sold my 2003 ST1300A about 2 years ago and replaced it with a DL650A.
I just sold the VStrom today and I'm looking to eventually get back onto a sport tourer again since the open highways are what I really enjoy most.

I couldn't fix the heat issues on the ST and that's the only reason I eventually sold it. I loved everything else about it. I really missed the smooth sewing machine engine and the instant torque and power of the ST. Passing was effortless and instantaneous on the ST. Lots of electrical power to run farkles and gear.
And I really missed the full fairing. I rode the ST in all types of weather and it never once gave me any trouble.

The vstrom was very different from the ST. It is a much more 'interactive' experience and I thoroughly enjoyed having to push it a little more because it was literally 1/2 the displacement. The upright posture is nice and it's easy to ride. It's nice to just 'putt around' sometimes without the bike always wanting to go faster faster faster. The extra wind on me was nice (I'm riding mostly in AZ), though I tended to let the weather keep me off the road at times because the wind and rain obviously affected me more without a full fairing to keep mother nature at bay. The fuel injection seemed a bit less 'refined' and was occasionally hard to start in very hot or freezing temperatures but never gave me problems.

I was really good at low speed maneuvers on the ST. These were harder for me on the vstrom and I think my budget choice of Shinko tires had something to do with that. I had intended to ride the VStrom on lots of dirt roads and mountain fire roads but I wasn't happy with the off-road performance so I rarely did.

My 2 cents. Hope that helps in some way.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I am looking to get something like a st1300 or fjr for some longer trips, such as a trip out west. Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome. I see some st and fjr on craigslists and see many st1300 with over 50,000 miles. I don't want one with that high of mileage but that is a good sign. I will keep my 650 for weekend trips and what not.
What is it that you don't like about the Wee for long trips?
Personally I prefer it, especially in the summer.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the same thing myself so I'll share my experience. YMMV.

I sold my 2003 ST1300A about 2 years ago and replaced it with a DL650A.
I just sold the VStrom today and I'm looking to eventually get back onto a sport tourer again since the open highways are what I really enjoy most.

I couldn't fix the heat issues on the ST and that's the only reason I eventually sold it. I loved everything else about it. I really missed the smooth sewing machine engine and the instant torque and power of the ST. Passing was effortless and instantaneous on the ST. Lots of electrical power to run farkles and gear.
And I really missed the full fairing. I rode the ST in all types of weather and it never once gave me any trouble.

The vstrom was very different from the ST. It is a much more 'interactive' experience and I thoroughly enjoyed having to push it a little more because it was literally 1/2 the displacement. The upright posture is nice and it's easy to ride. It's nice to just 'putt around' sometimes without the bike always wanting to go faster faster faster. The extra wind on me was nice (I'm riding mostly in AZ), though I tended to let the weather keep me off the road at times because the wind and rain obviously affected me more without a full fairing to keep mother nature at bay. The fuel injection seemed a bit less 'refined' and was occasionally hard to start in very hot or freezing temperatures but never gave me problems.

I was really good at low speed maneuvers on the ST. These were harder for me on the vstrom and I think my budget choice of Shinko tires had something to do with that. I had intended to ride the VStrom on lots of dirt roads and mountain fire roads but I wasn't happy with the off-road performance so I rarely did.

My 2 cents. Hope that helps in some way.
Steve, excellent feedback and I can relate on almost all levels. I don't mind slabbing it on the ST1300 and it cruises all day at 90mph. Yep, the heat from this beast sucks in summer and I think it would be terrible to manage out in AZ! I too have all sorts of electrics running with no power issues at all, and really like the 0-60 in 3.5" 2-up and fully loaded :)

BTW... I have a house in Gilbert and bought an old Honda CX500 to ride around out there. I'd love to ride around the dirt roads out in AZ and hope to trade that for a DL650 out there too. Maybe sell the ST1300 and get e 2fer :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
What is it that you don't like about the Wee for long trips?
Personally I prefer it, especially in the summer.
I don't mind it for trips solo but I want to do some long, 2 up trips with the wife. With that I want plenty of room and comfort for 2 up riding and storage capacity. I love my 2013 650 for solo and have no problem doing 400 mile days on it. But an extended 2 up long distance touring bike it is not.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just running the numbers on the 2014 DL650 and with farkles (bags, bars, windshield, etc.) this puppy will top out around $11,000... OUCH. If I like the ride I may be going used for that kind of cash...

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I don't mind it for trips solo but I want to do some long, 2 up trips with the wife. With that I want plenty of room and comfort for 2 up riding and storage capacity. I love my 2013 650 for solo and have no problem doing 400 mile days on it. But an extended 2 up long distance touring bike it is not.
Guess I don't quite agree. The Wee is physically a pretty large bike, at least as far as passenger and rider room go. And there's luggage available as large or larger than any of the big sport tourers have.
Done long 2-up tours with the wife on a Concours and the Wee, we both prefer the wee.
But, different strokes for different folks, and all that. :)

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Checked out the 2014 Wee today. Damn that's a tall bike for a 30" inseam! And I almost flipped it over taking it off the side stand because I'm used to hauling around 300 pounds more all the time and it righted itself a hell of a lot easier than the ST1300! They won't let me ride a brand new bike so it looks like they're bringing up a 2013 with 6000 miles on it so I can ride... maybe early next week I suspect. We'll see...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have both an 06 and 06 ST. I bought the ST new and have over 71K on it and we are still on a honey moon! She is a heavy girl but she can dance! I will admit I've dropped her a couple times cause once she starts to tip there is no bringing her back up. Great thing is there is never any damage not even a scratch! We are close to the same size, 5'9 and 31 inch inseam. I rode the ST running errands etc. before getting the Wee so I'm used to the slow stuff with it.
I like my Wee for riding and exploring country back rds that turn to gravel and commute with it often. About a month ago we took it camping. Two up loaded with camping gear it ran OK but is woefully under sprung! I have serviced the rear shock preload unit, had it cranked up and was still dragging the skid plate on sharp right and left handers. One time almost sending me into the opposite lane! I'm 180 and SO is 110 wet, our camping gear is light. On the plus side the Solo Box panniers and Givi topbox swallowed up all our stuff with ease and the Solo Box lids allowed for an good place to lash our soft sided coolers to. You can haul a bunch of groceries in those boxes! The Wee is a great bike one up with gear and will take you anywhere you want to go or two up if you are just piddling around on back roads exploring for the day. I've even taken it to the farm I deer hunt on and up some of the old logging roads there through head high weeds with little trouble! I won't be doing anymore two up camping trips on it unless we are going to somewhere close by set up camp and ride.
The ST eats miles like it's nothing and you can load her down and never know all that weight is there. (Until you stop in the wrong place) I've learned to pick my parking spots carefully when loaded with gear and pillion. We did several 500 mile days on our trip out West and it never blinked. The 60 mph to 90 or 100 mph roll on when needing to pass is always there even in 5th. You will have to get used to using the gears on the Wee to make quick passes.
I like them both and for me each has it's use and place where it shines. Hope this helps.
PS Electronic farkles are severely limited on the 06 Wee compared to the ST; not sure what the alternator output is on the new Wee.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts