StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pouring down rain here in NC, so I decided to make a quickie one day project. I bought a piece of magnetic sheet from a surplus catalog about 6 months ago (I think it was American Science and Surplus, but I don't remember for sure); it's the kind of thing they make magnetic dry erase boards from. I found a photo on line of a commercial tank chap, and used editing software to stretch and manipulate it so it would fit on the V-Strom tank. I used this as a template to cut out the tank chap from the magnetic sheet; it cuts easily with scissors and an Xacto knife. I then roughed up the white dry erase surface of the tank chap, and sprayed it with truck bed liner. Once it dried, I wiped down the magnetic side thoroughly to make sure there was no grit that would scratch the paint, and put the chap on the tank. I like the texture of it, and think it looks pretty decent. The piece of dry erase board was 5 dollars; I think they sell the same sort of thing at office supply stores.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good work RC - looks terrific! Much better than something you can buy because you made it!

But I do have one question... What is a tank chap actually for? To protect the tank from abriations from a tank bag?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
To prevent scratches and scuffs, usually on sport bikes where you're leaned over the tank. Although I got a scratch in that area on my Strom and have no idea how.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like G-Dub says. The zipper on my jacket kept scraping over that part of the tank when I got on the bike, and eventually it was going to start leaving scratches. I figured this might head it off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts