StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping around, I couldn't find a reputable fuse block for my DL650 for less than $100. Knowing what it is composed of, I decided to give it a go myself to save some dough. It was really very simple and this setup cost me about $30 when all was said and done. It will cost less if I do another because I now have heat shrink and wire. All of the items used were purchased at Radio Shack or Advanced Auto Parts. I realize that it's way bigger than a commercial fuse block and I still need to find a way to cover it up a little better, but I couldn't be happier with the result. I may look around for a mini fuse holder which will significantly reduce the size.

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
I found an old wiring strip in a box in the garage from the old surplus store days. Ugly as hell, inline fuses etc, but it works. Yours has nice modern fuses. Looks good.
Your wiring seems as untidy as mine but it's a work in progress, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What did you connect the relay control wire to?

Glad that I found your post. I am doing something similar to my 2013 DL650.

Can you tell me what relay you are using and if you have a schematic for wiring it up?

It is my understanding that you can connect to a "hot" wire to activate the relay. Something that turns on and off with the ignition switch. I was thinking about using the hot wire to the rear tail light (not the brake light!). It looks like you ran your relay wire to the center fused relay just in front of the tray. I don't have a manual or schematic. What is that relay for?

thanks for your help in advance.

Dale

·
Registered
20 Posts
Found out the answer to one of my questions; The "center" fuse is for the ABS motor. As you are just looking for a hot source when the ignition is switched on, that makes perfect sense to use it as the draw for closing the relay circuit must be minimal. So one shouldn't have to been overly concerned with overloading that circuit. Duh!!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
According to the wiring diagram, the wiring to and from the ABS fuses are always hot. See #3 at Basic V-Strom Wiring 101 for good places to get switched power. Eastern Beaver makes adapters to connect to the stock wiring without altering it. VStrom

·
Registered
393 Posts
4x fuse block and a copper ground strip, drilled and tapped to a 1/4" pc of lexan and secured down with industrial velcro. Relay (in center by battery strap), beside signal relay, with inline 30amp fuse, also on with industrial velcro. Relay triggered from tail light wire under tank bracket. It was a fun little project and cost about $15
:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Be sure it has a sturdy insulating cover. You don't want the whole thing to get shorted if something conductive touches it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts