StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear in mind this is a street bike, if it was more dirt oriented, the guard would be a slightly finer mesh and wrap under the radiator.
So, as I found yet again, a radiator guard, which takes 30-45 minutes to make and install, costs between $50-180. I find this offensive, so once again I made my own.
Measure the outside dimensions of radiator, transfer to mesh. Cut 50mm (2") outside these marke and bend mesh to lines. Offer up to radiator, mark any areas that need trimming or bending. Trim and bend, final fit. Grind corners smooth, paint, apply rubber tape to radiator side tanks to prevent guard wearing through and fit with three cable ties and use fairings to hold the sides.
Materials required: scrap expanded mesh, cable ties, rubber tape, hammertone paint.
Tools required: angle grinder or wire cutters and a file, a vise or something to bend the mesh over (like a bench top), a pen and a tape measure.
The beauty of expanded mesh is that it's strong, yet easy to bend and work, plus if you look at it on an angle, it offers lots of protection from impact at angles, yet offers little restriction to air flow.
It's good enough for road debris and big bugs.:mrgreen:
Job's done:

Regards, Andrew.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
After I made mine today, I found this thread....

I picked up my radiator today after it was repaired following a stick being driven through it. I decided guard is essential. A new radiator is A$700.

My guard is expanded steel mesh cut from a length of GumLeaf gutter leaf guard I bought from a local hardware store (Bunnings for Aussie readers). It is much stronger than aluminium expanded mesh suggested elsewhere. The leaf guard was bent but it was a simple job to flatten it out again.

The flattened 1 metre length of mesh was exactly 200 mm wide and thus matched the Strom's radiator. I cut the mesh slightly longer than the width of the radiator core so that it would clip into place in the grooves in the header tank-fin junction. I'll add a couple of cable ties for security.

The sides of the metal have a strip of U-channel rubber run along them. I had a roll of it in the garage left over from a job.

Now my question is, do I have the mesh opening facing up or down? If it faces down, I think it will be better for air flow into the radiaotr but I reckon the screen will be more susceptible to penetration by sticks.

I'll post pix tomorrow after I make up a replacement oil cooler screen.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
At last, the pics!

Why do we need it? Well, this is the Strom radiator after being penetrated by, I think, a stick:

This is the starting point, a piece of expanded steel gutter leaf guard before flattening it:

After cutting to shape and fitting a rubber lip right around the mesh. The guard sits into the grooves in the header tank. Sorry I forgot to take a close up.

This is the rubber I used (the rule is marked in mm):

Inserted into the radiator - slightly overlength so it locks into place (it bows out) and ....

... and when pressed in the centre, it springs back and seats against the radiator:

and the finished job.

The mesh is orientated so that stick coming up from below will slide across the mesh rather than digging in. This may affect the airflow. I'll soon know as it's coming up for summer and we'll be in the high 30s/low 40s (Celsius) soon enough.

I'll add the oil cooler tomorrow.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
I made the oil cooler guard slightly larger than the original as I needed the original to sit inside the rubber surround. I also wanted a bit more protection at the sides. The corners aren't symmetrical owing to the way the mesh cuts when the corners are trimmed off.

The new guard is cable tied to the original guard and the original is remounted in the same way as it was before the mod. Yes, the rubber strip sits against the exhaust down pipe and melts.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
Well, it's been on for nearly a year....

I suppose I could put new cable ties on (I wonder if the guards are still there. :)

I had no overheating problems last summer with the mesh direction (see earlier post). Summer here is HOT.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
Zip ties do get brittle (dry out) and crack/break..........probably good to change them out every 6 months or so??
Hmm. I had better do that as the ties have been on for nearly 2 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My radiator guard

I search online and the cheapest I could find was about $80...way to much for my budget. So inspired by p38arover, I decided to make my own radiator guard.
Went to Walmart and got, disposable grill topper ($4), cable ties ($2), spray paint ($1), rubber pipe ($1,25). Took the measurements, and about an hour later this is the result...what do you guys think? I know the quality isnt the best, but I'm very happy with the results, a radiator guard for 9 dollares not bad...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I search online and the cheapest I could find was about $80...way to much for my budget. So inspired by p38arover, I decided to make my own radiator guard.
Went to Walmart and got, disposable grill topper ($4), cable ties ($2), spray paint ($1), rubber pipe ($1,25). Took the measurements, and about an hour later this is the result...what do you guys think? I know the quality isnt the best, but I'm very happy with the results, a radiator guard for 9 dollares not bad...
You've inspired me! Been wanting to make one myself. Might try it this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you please tell me how you've attached the guard you made to the radiator itself? It'd be much appreciated, buddy. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I made one too!

Inspired by p38arover, I thought I would give this a go and make my own. I could not justify the price of buying a radiator guard for my Strom, but I thought having one would be a pretty wise move for an upcoming road trip.
So I went and made one and the video below shows how I did it. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3DG-Btn6B4

·
Registered
21 Posts
@p38arover Just came across this post since parts for the new 2017 are still not out yet. Just curious whether you have had anymore sticks or substantial impacts on your home made grill. How did it hold up?

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
Sorry Jef, I can't help there. I sold the bike a couple of years back but never had an issue with the guard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts