StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably buy an engine guard this summer but before I make my mind I built this exhaust pipe guard and this oil cooler guard (I tought the OEM il cooler guard was a little bit on the delicate side).

The exhaust pipe guard is made with an stainless steel sheet metal and strips of stainless steel perforated sheet as straps arounf the pipe. I also used some high heat tape around the pipe to minimize the heat transfer.

The oil cooler guard is made of stainless steel preforated sheet using the OEM mounting clamps and threaded hole.

exhaust pipe guard | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
oil cooler guard | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
exhaust pipe guard | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
While I admire your ingenuity on the exhaust pipe guard, I don't really think it will protect against much more than rocks kicked up from vehicles in front of you... Looks kind of flimsy to be honest... Leaving it open for cooling would seem more prudent... The stock oil cooler already has a guard, but you did much better on the oil cooler protection, though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only purpose of the exhaust pipe guard is to stop it from being sandblasted. I will not do severe offroad with the Wee so any sand or little stone thrown by the fron tire will not wear the pipe.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
the only purpose of the exhaust pipe guard is to stop it from being sandblasted. I will not do severe offroad with the Wee so any sand or little stone thrown by the fron tire will not wear the pipe.
I didn't know "sandblasting" was a common problem for pipes off road... Cooling for me would be more important... Still, what you did was clever...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts