StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from getting a leftover cow elk tag today, I see a van pulling out from my right. Old dude, looks right at me, then the other direction and then right at me AGAIN, then pulls right out in front of me! I am doing about 40 when I first spot him and slow to about 30 by the time he brain farts. I did what I never thought would be possible. I locked both brakes...and held them that way for about 10-12 feet and came to a perfect two foot plant once stopped. My front tire was about 2-3 feet from his driver side door. When he heard my tires squealing the dumb ass stopped dead in front of me! I looked right at him (hands were clamped to the bars like glue) and he slowly pulls away looking the other direction. Funny thing is, he works at the NAPA store he was pulling out of and rides a Harley. Seen him a hundred times. I think I may be doing some shopping in NAPA tomorrow! Strangely, I am more euphoric than angry! A) I am alive and B) I impressed myself with a huge panic stop. C) I did not damage my Wee....well the tires might have a couple of flat spots.

I am going to change my draws now! Ride safe...and aware...and PLAN on them pulling out in front of you!!!

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Glad you made it out safe. It's good to be aware of your surroundings. :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I just always figured that once you have both wheels locked up, you are most likely going down. I went back and looked at the skid marks and they are dead straight one on top of the other (looks like one skid mark). I know for sure they were both locked. I could feel it and I had gorilla grip on the front. scary, but cool in a confidence inspiring way.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I recommend soaking your shorts in Biz then add them to your wash. It got my shorts back to white after a soccer mom decided to share the lane with me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Glad you made it. That definitely raises the hair on my knuckles as I read that. I guess that's a Harley guy for ya ;)

·
Registered
980 Posts
He is probably suffering from deafness from the loud pipes, and a couple detached retinas from the vibration of the HD. After all, they do save lives :rolleyes:

Glad you came through unscathed!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I don't care about the other drivers' eyes. Them seeing you is not about visual acuity, it's about processing the information. Motorcycles are small. Cement trucks are big. Cement trucks are a threat. Motorcycles are not a threat. People can see you one second and totally forget about you the next. I try to always cover the brake at least if not slow down whenever there is a chance someone could get in front of me.

I usually watch the wheel. Spoke wheels are the best, spinners totally suck a$$. Sometimes I give a little wiggle in the lane if I think they're not seeing me. If they begin to lead off too early for my comfort, I play that one note my Stebel horn plays.

P.S. Good stop! Any time I hear "I had to lay it down", that translates directly into "I don't know how to ride well enough to brake hard".

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Half the drivers on the road don't know you're there. The other half are trying to kill you!

Glad you rode away from this one! Always assume that they either don't see you or don't care and you'll live a lot longer. Good job on the panic stop!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I don't know if it would have worked in your case, but I've stopped cagers in similar situations by weaving.

Good for you in keeping the bike upright!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I don't care about the other drivers' eyes. Them seeing you is not about visual acuity, it's about processing the information. Motorcycles are small. Cement trucks are big. Cement trucks are a threat. Motorcycles are not a threat. People can see you one second and totally forget about you the next. I try to always cover the brake at least if not slow down whenever there is a chance someone could get in front of me.

I usually watch the wheel. Spoke wheels are the best, spinners totally suck a$$. Sometimes I give a little wiggle in the lane if I think they're not seeing me. If they begin to lead off too early for my comfort, I play that one note my Stebel horn plays.

P.S. Good stop! Any time I hear "I had to lay it down", that translates directly into "I don't know how to ride well enough to brake hard".
At least spinners give you a false positive instead of a false negative. I'm a tire watcher too and I've slowed way down approaching a car with spinners pulling out.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Good job with the panic stop, not many folk can keep it up with the front wheel locked!

My only advice? When you go to NAPA walk in with a smile. :cool: He already knows what he did wrong.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do feel at times that you could be on a bike with every flashing light (LED and strobe) and some how they will not see you. Well they do "see" you, ah who am I kidding.. they dont, or they dont care.

I do try my best to say in peoples mirrors and out of their blind spot. At times during the day depending on the situation I will ride with my high beams on. I do find that if people get a bit too close to me, I will do a few swerves in my lane (like i'm warming up the tires) and that seems to keep them away from me. The flickering of the headlight I would hope, would let everyone know in front of me that I'm there, and the one guy coming towards me that might make a last second left turn in front of me, that I'm there.

Motorcycles have almost perfect motion camouflage at many angles.

Great Job on keeping the tires down and the bike up. I have not had any pucker moments .. yet.. I just hope that when (and it will happen) it does happen, I can report good news.

·
Registered
222 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS on a straight stop! But if you're gonna keep those Harley guys from pulling in front of you, you'll need to put some LOUD PIPES on your bike! :p

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I don't care about the other drivers' eyes. Them seeing you is not about visual acuity, it's about processing the information. Motorcycles are small. Cement trucks are big. Cement trucks are a threat. Motorcycles are not a threat.
Right on the button, sir. I have also read of a study that showed that motorcycle cops are "perceived" more reliably than ordinary bikes -- the cop is a threat that registers.

Use a modulator, add running lights if you can, and believe that they do not know you're there.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I am going to change my draws now! Ride safe...and aware...and PLAN on them pulling out in front of you!!!
Hats off to you, my friend, for planning ahead and getting some of that speed scrubbed off before things went bad. Thank you for not ending up like the Harley I saw embedded in the driver's seat of a truck not long ago in Tacoma -- exactly the position you describe, only it wasn't his brakes that stopped him; it was the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Sheesh, close encounter of the blind kind. Glad to hear you stopped in time and remained upright. Awesome riding. Go to Napa and tell the old guy you need a scraper for your tire rubber.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Yeah, good job.
As soon as you hear a tire squeel back off slightly until it stops squeeling as you will stop much faster.

I got to dodge a Dodge Durago on the way home from work today.

I was in the center lane of a two lanes and this chic pulls out into the center lane and then doesn't stop and she is on an intercept course for me and my KLR650. That amazes the hell out of me is not seeing the bike with it's two brighter than the sun headlights it has on that '08, and I'm a little guy too at 6' 7". I'm like a giraffe on that tall bike or so my riding buddy says :), but then again people don't even look. Or maybe it was that super dark/illegal tint she had on the SUV? I'm so glad I already scanned the right lane for an escape. As she pulled into my lane I threw the bike over and headed to the right lane. She kept coming because of course the inside lane wasn't enough she wanted the right lane too all in one non yielding maneuver. She drove me right off the road. I was glad I reacted in just enough to time to get the bike banked in a right turn. I was able to keep distance from her as she kept coming over and I kept heading off the road to avoid the collision. I'm glad I was alert for this crap and thankfully it was only 30 mph. And fortuantely I was on the KLR as it is the most flick-able bike I have. Having a bike that can go off roading and survive is a plus in any situation too. I don't know if I could have made that turn that fast on the Vee or my sport bike as it takes a moment to throw that much mass around. What makes a bike stable at speed makes it turn slow at low speed and vise versa. That KLR is really my best bike for the traffic and why it is my normal commuter bike. You want to be able to throw around a light front end in such situations.

I've learned to be very paranoid about cars pulling out especially on normally quiet roads. The cagers feel that the risk is low on these quiet roads so why bother even looking. A different lady did a similar maneuver about three months ago on me and had my 6' 7" frame and 270lbs flying off my sport bike and over their hood at about 20 mph. Talk about a lot of forces at play there. She pulled out without even stopping first from a parking lot. Rule of thumb there if you don't think you can avoid hitting the car aim for the front or rear fender. In this particular case it was station wagon so the front fender was much kinder than flying into the rear side supports would have been. Drive slow around cars (I do) so it hopefully won't hurt so bad when and if you God forbid get hit. Believe me, trust no one, they aren't looking. Your life is in their hands and many of them aren't taking their driving responsibilities very seriously. Drivers should face much stiffer fines for causing accidents as maybe this would adjust their priorities to what is really important.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah, good job.
As soon as you hear a tire squeel back off slightly until it stops squeeling as you will stop much faster.
I may be misunderstanding, but don't you want to be careful in that situation?

As long as the bike is upright and straight it should be fine to let off the brake. However, if the back end has started to come around the next step after letting off the brake is usually flight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Unfortunately, I've experienced the "euphoric" feeling after a very close call. During my trip to Canada and back, I had a close call on the 4 lane in Detroit. Stupid woman in a Jeep Cherokee slammed on her brakes and stopped b/c of a road scrubber truck cleaning the shoulder by the concrete barrier in the median...wtf? We were in the lane closest to the road scrubber but had plenty of room to safely travel. My back tire locked up on that one and started to come around to the right. Luckily I rode it out and passed on the shoulder before I got to the road scrubber.

Oddly, I never even had a feeling of being scared. Just that feeling of "That was close but I'm alive". Practicing emergency braking is a good habit, but when an actual emergency comes up its a different story IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts