StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Holy Crap...what a diff the new mirrors make!!! PICS ADDED

I just installed my Tuono mirrors and went out for my normal 100 mile blast on Sunday. All I can say is..........Holy Crap", what a difference they make. No more booming in my helmet and zero buffeting. All I have presently is the stocker with the Madstad, which in itself made a huge difference. It was so much quieter that when I forgot to put my earplugs in that it almost didn't matter.....much quieter. The bike has been transformed!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tuono mirrors

I didn't think mirrors would impact buffering that much. I would love to see some photos if you got any.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yep! I switched to Tuono mirrors, and then bar end mirrors. The difference between the bar end mirrors and the Tuonos is even bigger than the difference between the Tuonos and the OEM mirrors. Everyone spending big bucks on windscreens is throwing their money in the wrong direction, IMO.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There are many factors involved so somebody else's experience can be entirely different. One way to find out if mirrors are causing a problem is to temporarily take them off. Of course, depending on where you try it, that could be dangerous and illegal so an abandoned airfield may be needed. :yikes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep! I switched to Tuono mirrors, and then bar end mirrors. The difference between the bar end mirrors and the Tuonos is even bigger than the difference between the Tuonos and the OEM mirrors. Everyone spending big bucks on windscreens is throwing their money in the wrong direction, IMO.
Hew Warhammer.....wanna unload those Tuono mirrors? :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mirrors

I didn't think mirrors would impact buffering that much. I would love to see some photos if you got any.
If you just take a look at how flat and large the stocker is ......vs the Tuono.... which is narrower and rounded....there just has to be an advantage aerodynamically....
I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Bar end mirrors must fair poorly in a tip-over. I know, I know, don't tip it over:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks a lot, I just ordered a set at my local Aprilia dealer. This forum is costing me money :argue: I don't have much of a problem with buffeting with my madstad and stocker screen, but those OEM mirrors gotta go, they look like big square sails.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good to know this.
How's the visibility on the Tuono or even any other after-market option?
The Tuono mirrors are not as big as the stock mirrors, about 80% the glass area as an estimate so visibility is reduced just slightly. They stand just a bit shorter but wider than the OEM's do on the bike if I recall correctly. But they do wonders as mentioned here with reducing the buffeting since they are a lot more aerodynamic. They look much nicer than the stock mirrors do on the bike. A little Italian style never hurt anything. They are actually nice quality mirrors for the price and they will bolt right to the Strom. I'm very happy with mine and I wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Bar end mirrors must fair poorly in a tip-over. I know, I know, don't tip it over:biggrinjester:
This is very true. But, at $18 a set, they're easy enough to replace if you take one out. They're also small enough to carry a spare in your tool kit.

Good to know this.
How's the visibility on the Tuono or even any other after-market option?
Here's a thread from a while back that has pics of both the Tuono and the bar end mirrors: http://stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=45457&highlight=mirror This soultion may not be for everyone, but I really like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mirrors

The buffeting was mainly handled by the Madstad........but the booming and wind noise in the helmet subsided by the new mirrors.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I have a single Bar end mirror on the left side of my Vincent..I can never see anything as its always at the wrong angle and I have replaced it 4 or 5 times because Vincents have poorly designed side stands...but it "looks" correct..lol

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a single Bar end mirror on the left side of my Vincent..I can never see anything as its always at the wrong angle and I have replaced it 4 or 5 times because Vincents have poorly designed side stands...but it "looks" correct..lol
I wanna see that Vincent! That's my lottery bike......

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are many factors involved so somebody else's experience can be entirely different. One way to find out if mirrors are causing a problem is to temporarily take them off. Of course, depending on where you try it, that could be dangerous and illegal so

"an abandoned airfield may be needed". :yikes:
I enjoy landing on abandoned airfields, it's like the flying version of Adventure riding.....if you are on one without mirrors and you hear a prop noise coming from behind, just accelerate, my stall speed is about 60. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
This is very true. But, at $18 a set, they're easy enough to replace if you take one out.
My Dad is got some from England, around $70 buck each. Bummer for him because some old fart backed over his R100 a month ago, had to order another one......

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Warhammer, the link appears to be obsolete. Could you provide me with the manufacturer's name & product number so I can google the mirrors?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Warhammer, the link appears to be obsolete. Could you provide me with the manufacturer's name & product number so I can google the mirrors?
Just search for "bar end mirrors" on E-bay. There are several sellers who offer them continually for around $18 with free shipping. The seller I bought mine from goes by "power.freaks".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts