Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
You've got to be kidding! Motel rooms for 50 miles around will be $200 plus, the community is infested for days with posers on Harley.
Riding into town on the Strom you'd be as out of place as Mortimer Snerd at a Mensa convention

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's just crazy talk. closest hotel I checked into is a perfectly fine motel (best western gilroy, 15 miles away) has rooms over that holiday for $140 standard rate (without AAA etc). pretty much standard for southern bay area. and why are you afraid of harleys? Plus there's a bunch of exhibitor booths for bikes of all persuasions. Ever been to Sturgis, the mother of rallies? Tons of jap bikes, even a show for tricksters. Best you stay away, though if you'll have that deer in the headlights look.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I avoid the Thunder ride anywhere. I know the rates at Laughlin and Needles went sky hi for that run. Guys at work were crying about the rates.
Maybe it's the crowds that take the joy out of the event for me.
I'll take your advice and stay home or head in the other direction.
Oh, it's not the Harleys I find offensive, it's the riders attitude. Cookie cutter attire. Wanna be bad boys.
In case you are unaware of it, the citizens of Sturgis are not that enamored of the event. A lot of local real estate is owned by business that are only open the period of the rally. It doesn't benefit the community the rest of the year. Kinda like absentee slum lords.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just used Sturgis as the ultimate example, and can't comment on how the yocals cope with it compared to New Orleans and Mardi Gras etc. Indeed one of NatGeo channel or Discovery or similar gives entertaining docu-shows on the event, mostly following cops around. Nonetheless, that's a mother of a rally, Hollister is a backyard BBQ by comparison, not as cookie cutter as you think. Fact is that I have an unexpected wear spot on my Corbin seat, they'll be there so I'll stop by. Want to avoid crowds, then have to avoid Disneyland, baseball games, shopping malls, Hooters...

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
You got it , boss. I don't darken those doorways.
I sit in a mushroom like state in the dark when I'm not out enjoying a quiet time in the sun.
Good luck with Corbin.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't know....the pictures on the website look just like the rally I went to last weekend... :grin2:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I've been leading a group down there for years, mostly non HD's now, may even take my Honda Police bike this year. We get there 8-8:30 for the all you can eat pancake breakfast at the church and park right in front. Cruse the same old vendors selling the same old stuff then people and bike watch until it gets to hot and crowded. No traffic, parking problems, attitudes, heat, or drunks when going early. A large HD presence there but a multitude of other makes as well.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I'm probably just soooo wrong!:grin2:
I know of one other feller that is heading out tonight to do the Corbin thing. If you see Cyrus, say hi for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts