StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why have I not heard more about this before??? I don't particularly feel like I need a lower seat, but for all those who have inseam issues with the strom, and who want a higher quality seat without making those issues worse, this seems like a great option!

Anyone out there have this seat?

http://www.holeshot.com/dl650/dl_corbin.html

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Why have I not heard more about this before???
Because, I believe it's exactly the same seat height as a typical Corbin, which is to say approx 1" lower than oem.

What they don't say, which I have found with the 2 Corbins I have had on other bikes, is that they are wider, which spreads your legs apart, increasing the reach to the ground.

With a 1" lower seat height, which they advertise, perhaps it's very similar to stock.

I have a Suzuki gel seat, and love the fact that it's taller....makes for a nicer seat to peg distance, more comfy on longer rides....I'm not tall at 5'10".

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see....

I see what's going on here....

Corbin has redesigned the Canyon Dual Sport seat for the Strom. Did I miss the boat on this? Anyone else noticed already?

The Corbin seat I'm used to seeing-

And the new style looks like this-

Holeshot is just selling the new version with their logo tagged on the side above the Corbin logo. They're also advertising that they colaborated with Corbin on the design.

I couldn't figure out how to link the pic directly from the corbin site (their pics are all flash files), but here's the link. Check it out.

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/vstrom.shtml

You can tell the new version is much lower than the old. I wonder if their pan must be lower too, encroaching on under-seat storage space.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Review?

Chia-

Looks great! When did you purchase yours and how do you like it? I (and many others I'm sure) would love to see a review of your thoughts.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's not my seat, just a pic I found for an example.....I wish!!

I have the budget model....Suzuki gel seat, which frankly, is as comfy as my previous Corbin on my ZRX, which is to say, very comfy!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Corbins are like sitting on a brick,I don't like them, plus they are real heavy. Send you stock seat to Spencer and have him fix it about $75

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Corbins are like sitting on a brick,I don't like them, plus they are real heavy. Send you stock seat to Spencer and have him fix it about $75
Subjective at best. I loved both of my Corbins, all day comfort, just perfect.

My Dad got his Bandit seat done by Spencer, I find it brutal to sit on, he was happy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Holeshot-Corbin Seat

I have placed my order on the Holeshot-Corbin a few days ago.

This seat is not a re-badged version of the Corbin design. It is true that, just like the Corbin seat, the Holeshot unit is about 3/4" lower than the Wee OEM seat, but it is also narrower (at the front) than both the stock seat and the Corbin design. The end result is, folks that are short on inseam (like me) should be able to reach the ground a little easier without resorting to installing longer dog bones.

Yes, it is way more expensive getting a Holeshot seat versus a pair of dog bones but you can achieve the following benefits:
(1) A more comfortable seat for all day touring (I personally like a firm seat),
(2) You can reach the ground a little better,
(3) Underside and peg clearance should not be an issue.

However, if you just need that extra half an inch to reach the ground comfortably, you can try shaving the rubber pads at the bottom of the stock seat to (no more than) half their original height. This should lowering the stock seat height by about 1/2". It may be worth a try as it cost you nothing!

I would only resort to the dog bone option for lowering the seat only if the Holeshot seat could not give me the confidence level I want to feel firmly planted on the ground. That is, if my heels are still way off the ground with the Holeshot seat installed and rear pre-loading at its lowest (this is the setting for my 133-lb. frame). I will find out in a few weeks, 'cause there is still snow on the ground and everything is frozen solid in the Great White North! :headbang:

EOTS

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My Corbin seat is the Canyon Rider model and is identical to the picture posted by Canvas6st above...it's quite a bit different than the new Hole Shot shown in the same post, which appears much lower.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is an excerpt from the Holeshot Performance website regarding the development of the seat design and what a rider could expect from their design versus other that of other custom seats:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dale has teamed up with the legendary Mike Corbin to design his very own exclusive Holeshot V-Strom DL 650 / 1000 seat. Working with Corbin R & D team Dale spent over two months personally shaping and testing the DL-650 / 1000 Holeshot/Corbin seat, refining it to his personal taste. Dale's shape offers about a 3/4" to 1" lower seating position, with the bucket in just the right spot for added security, back support and comfort. The front section near the tank is shaped up hill just enough to keep you planted in the saddle in the proper place and the sides are tapered off just enough to eliminate any pressure points on the inner thighs.This shape also allows the more aggressive rider to still slide off nicely side to side in the twisties. The V-Strom Holeshot/Corbin offers a lower center of gravity for better handling, as well as a much easier ground reach for shorter riders."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all have different body shapes, it takes a certain amount of "leap of faith" to buy a custom seat without the opportunity to "test drive" it prior to departing with a significant number of green backs!

EOTS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts