StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm weighing aftermarket seat options for my '11 Wee and came across this:
Suzuki v-strom
Anyone have one? The promotional text says its lower than stock, which would be a plus for me. Plus, its got a leather seat and looks like a Corbin, which I am inclined toward, having had one on a previous bike.
I may just get one and will write it up if I do.
I would love to hear any feedback on the seat from long distance riders.
Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was looking at that one also, but think I've settled on Terry Adcoxs' custom seat....

He doesn't have a website, but google him... Nice seats, no bad reviews and significantly cheaper...

But just my 2 cents

·
Administrator
16,596 Posts
I looked at getting that seat before I found myself a used Corbin, and Dale Walker sells and makes some high quality stuff!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The silver Bandit 1200 on his site was mine. I used that seat for a couple years and loved it now one of my friends owns the bike and has liked the seat as well.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would highly suggest that before you buy anything from Corbin that you consider that they have absolutely NO policy of customer satisfaction beyond repairing workmanship flaws. So if you buy it and don't like it, you own it.
From his website: SADDLE WARRANTY: Basepan, foam and hardware of the Corbin saddle is warranted to the original owner for life. Cover materials and workmanship are warranted for one year. Product will only be authorized to be shipped back, freight pre-paid, for refining of shape or to replace/rectify defective parts. In cases where the rework requires a new cover, a recover charge will be applied. Cash or credit refunds are not available. All goods being handled for customer service consideration must be accompanied by a Corbin/ Holeshot Performance receipt and a Return Material Authorization Number (RMA). Due to shipping costs, Corbin seats and backrests sold and shipped out of the USA have no warranty.

Its nothing evil at all, just how they do business.
I would rather have the stocker reworked by one of the custom seat guys that does have a policy of satisfaction. The least expensive is probably Seth Laam, then Rick Mayer, Rich O'Connor, Bill Mayer and Russell.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for you thoughts on that, Joe. I'll think on that for sure.
I hate to be without my bike while a seat is being made for my pan. I know Seth uses the stock pan. Maybe he has one there....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Several of the custom guys have a core-exchange policy were they'll build you a new seat using a pan they already have and charge you a deposit. Then once you get the new seat you send them your stocker and they refund the core deposit...

I tell ya what, consider it lessons learned on my part. I should have saved myself the aggravation and gone with a Russell custom fit seat right from the get-go. Instead, I sold the stock seat on here, picked up a used Suzuki gel on here but hated it (not much better than stock IMO) so sold it here, picked up a used Corbin here, comfy seat, but fitment was horrible and it gapped and rattled around under the tank. So sold it on here, picked up a Sargent on here and it's the best for my ass so far. Fairly comfortable and excellent fit (just like stock) but still far from bliss. Should have spent the $700 on a Russell from the start and I would have been dollars ahead with a much happier hiney......

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thanks for you thoughts on that, Joe. I'll think on that for sure.
I hate to be without my bike while a seat is being made for my pan. I know Seth uses the stock pan. Maybe he has one there....
I doubt if he does, too small an operation at this time, but he's pretty darn fast on turnaround. If you give him a call he can quote you a turnaround time and I think you'll find its short.
I don't have any connection with him other than having had him make two seats, he's pretty obsessive about customer service.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had the dale walker corbin on my 1250 bandit. it was not as comfortable as all other corbins I've had. the seat pan had a different shape which did not fit my butt like the standard corbins.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have at least four Corbin seats in the Garage for different bikes. I love them but live only an hour away and have them custom fitted. Never would I order one from them, Holeshot or any other vendor. Corbin has a terrible reputation for customer service, phone and online. For drive ins, they have been excellent in regards to repairs, alterations, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a Laam seat for my Wee, great seat, fast turnaround, great customer satisfaction, great choice. Glad I went with him. Short inseam ruled out a Russell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have the holeshot corbin and have been quite happy with it,it is a little wider than a sargent but has doubled my seat time before any discomfort starts,have sat on it for about 10 hours and no problem,had about a 2hour limit with the sargent

·
Administrator
16,596 Posts
i have the holeshot corbin and have been quite happy with it,it is a little wider than a sargent but has doubled my seat time before any discomfort starts,have sat on it for about 10 hours and no problem,had about a 2hour limit with the sargent
I have a leather Corbin, and mine fits perfect contrary to what some say about their experience. I had a Sargent on my previous 1000, and to me the difference is night and day in comfort "Corbin is better".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ahhhhh!! This is driving me nuts!

I had pretty much decided to get the Holeshot Corbin. Then I read as much as I could on this forum and changed my mind... was ready to buy a Sargeant.

I'm a skinny guy with a narrow, bony ass.
Does that tip the scales one way or the other?

:confused:

·
Administrator
16,596 Posts
Ahhhhh!! This is driving me nuts!

I had pretty much decided to get the Holeshot Corbin. Then I read as much as I could on this forum and changed my mind... was ready to buy a Sargeant.

:confused:

I'm a skinny guy with a narrow, bony ass.
Does that tip the scales one way or the other?
Sargent has a softer foam than Corbin, but I prefer the firmer seat personally of the Corbin. The seat pans are both pretty similar, so it all comes down to what firmness you prefer. The Saddleman seats are getting pretty popular and might just be perfect for you, might be worth checking them out. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a 30" inseam and decided the Saddleman seats would be too tall.
I'm taking an 850 mile ride in a couple weeks and if that ride concludes for me that my Spencer seat and Alaskan pad don't cut it, I'm going to try the Holeshot/Corbin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the Holeshot Corbin. Great seat, especially for short inseam riders. I initially was worried that it was a bit hard, but found that the support it gives lends itself to a very comfortable ride. I have experienced no soreness whatsoever at distance. Took about 1000 miles to break in.
Only 2 issues: the weight of the seat is substantially more than stock, and the seat will also push you slightly more toward back of the bike than the stock seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts