StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I managed to put a hole in the bottom of my engine clutch cover, fell onto a rock on a recent Baja off road trip. Patched it with JB Weld, but I'd like to replace it. Can't find any on ebay. Anyone have one lying around? Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Loc-Weld, It more oil and gas resistant then J-B weld, I poked a hole in the crankcase on a kawasike 3 wheeler when it was brand new 1st day out and dealer suggested try Lock-Weld. The hole was about the size of a quarter and pushed in about a 1/4", I cleaned the oil residue with brake clean and spuzzed it up, 3 years later when I sold the 3 wheeler it was still holding. Who'd a thought an offroad machine wouldn't have a bash plate.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV has one for $64.91. Slightly more expensive than MAZ4ME's, but I've used Rocky Mountain ATV for almost all my OEM parts purchases, and they give really good service. I'm not saying Mr Cycle doesn't; only that I've had personal experience with Rocky Mountain.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/4

Look for "Crankcase Cover" in the pulldown menu under "Select a Parts Schematic".

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
That $63 part is a cover for the clutch area only. The major cover is $185 smackeroos. Gladius cover on fleabay may work.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Maybe a little more detail or a pic would have helped. The original post in this thread didnt differentiate as to exactly which part was damaged. "Fell onto a rock "put a pic in my mind of the bike on its side, outer cover smacking a rock.
I can see, and have seen that outer cover having a hole punched in it, and maybe someone "would have one lying around." That $189 piece, I'd really doubt doubt it. But again...who knows?

·
Registered
196 Posts
As long as the piece is clean of oil then the JB should hold. Have fixed i break in a transfer case with JB on my 4'b over 4 years ago and it still hasn't started leaking

·
Registered
472 Posts
I might have one from an SV in my shop. I used to put windows in them, but haven't had any orders for a few years.

·
Registered
351 Posts
1) Sand it flush.
2) paint it
3) forget it

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I've used Pratley steel for aluminium casing repair. Not sure if you stock it in your shops on that side.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
There's another compound out there that would be good for repairing metal. I ran across it years ago when I used to scratchbuild models. It's called Lab Metal, from Alvin Products. It's a putty, though you can actually thin it with a special solvent and spray it on a surface. Once it cures it's machinable (it can even be tapped for threads), and you can powdercoat over it. It can be sanded and buffed to a satin metal finish.

Ready-to-use Metal Repair and Patching Compound

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time for a quality skid plate?
No skid plates really cover the side of the engine. I had a skidplate on there. I replaced it with one from Happy Trails. Much better coverage but still doesn’t go all the way up the sides.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts