StromTrooper banner

Hoisting my DL1000

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  vanislejay 
#1 ·
I'm putting together a method to measure the angular weight of lifting my VEE. I regularly workout with weights, and I'm curious what is the weight equivalent would be.

To figure this out I pickued up 20 M of static rope, four pulleys and two progress capture cams which I understand will give me a 9:1 mechanical advantage. I need to get a digital scale yet, but at 9:1 I should be able to get a cheap one (550 lbs / 9 < 60 lbs)

Any suggestions where I should attach the straps for lifting?

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Bicycle tire Art

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle fork

See less See more
#10 ·
I'm putting together a method to measure the angular weight of lifting my VEE. I regularly workout with weights, and I'm curious what is the weight equivalent would be.

To figure this out I pickued up 20 M of static rope, four pulleys and two progress capture cams which I understand will give me a 9:1 mechanical advantage. I need to get a digital scale yet, but at 9:1 I should be able to get a cheap one (550 lbs / 9 < 60 lbs)

Any suggestions where I should attach the straps for lifting?

View attachment 305607
View attachment 305608
View attachment 305609
View attachment 305610

#7 ·
Two bathroom scales is the easiest in my opinion. With bike on its side, stand with one foot on each scale, record your weight displayed on each scale. Lift the bike as described in Frame guard & lifting dropped bikes, while a helper video records the different weight readings on the scales during the lifting operation. Deduct your weight from the combined readings and you should have the answer that you are looking for.
Another alternative, you could make use of something like a MotoBikeJack on the scales to determine the weight of lifting your ride.

#9 · (Edited)
It’s easier than that.

Get a good scale. Lay the bike on its side with handle bars turned the direction you need to lift bike. Lift bike until the tires hit the ground and the bike is a few inches raised and slide scale under end of handle bar. A wood block between scale and handle bar to support the weight and measure it.

The force needed to raise the bike becomes less as the bike’s angle to the ground goes from horizontal toward vertical.

@Gert method would work also and might be slightly more accurate. He would be lifting from 2 points and I would be measuring only 1. But weight is weight.

#11 ·
My opinion...

You would only get angular weight at a specific angle. Wouldn't apply in a real world drop.

Learn several ways to pick up the bike. There isn't a best way it's situational.

#12 ·
I do agree with Spec that the lifting weight will be different depending on the location the bike took a nap, aka on level ground vs slightly up hill vs down hill vs with / without luggage, surface, etc.
I guess that most of us are aware that where possible, to first drag the bike so that wheels face downhill before attempting a lift a fallen bike on an incline. Brains over brawn.

#13 ·
This is probably all semantics. Weight is weight and acts vertically downward. When you lift at an angle, it takes more force, because the vertical component of the force you exert is all that counteracts the weight.

Lost yet? Now if the bike is leaning uphill, part of the lifting is done. If the bike is leaning downhill, you have even more force required, than if it was laying on flat ground. It is all geometry.

If possible, always drag the bike around 180 degrees so that the wheels are downhill of the bike. Then have your girlfriend lift it back up.

#14 · (Edited)
I got the hook scale and a helper to spot/handle the bike while I was on the rope and taking readings.

First image is the bike on the side, and showing the setup. Once the bike was on it's side I added the scale. Second image is the bike back up, which shows how I added the scale.
I took weight readings at different approximate heights while lifting. I did the lift twice, before my helper mutinied :

0-6”: 182 lbs
6-12”: 244 lbs
12-18”: 260 lbs
18-24”: 180 lbs

The last image is 32 lbs of free weights --a known quantity--to test the setup. This was showing as 29 lbs, so maybe I can blame a cheap scale, I guess.

Conclusions? The lift maxed out at 260 lbs at near 45 degrees. That's good, because with the bike higher off the ground it's easier to get under and lift with your legs. But from experience, that first 180 lbs is a hum-dinger.

Any suggestions to improve the experiment? A video would be great, but I have to think more about how to make the video look good.

[Edited: I posted the images and data, and then reedited to add more explanations]

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Tread Automotive tire

#16 ·
Curious, what did you weigh the 32 lbs of free weights with to arrive at the conclusion that the scale was wrong? ;)

#15 ·
I like to nerd out on stuff too, so no judgement here, but what exactly have you accomplished by learning this number?

If the bike falls over you pick it up; the specific number of pounds you are laboring under is irrelevant. The bike either gets picked up or it does not.

If you can't pick it up yourself are you going to flag someone down and say to them "I need someone that can pick up 260 pounds at a 45 degree angle, can you help me?"

I don't understand the need to have a number to understand concepts like "heavy" or "hot" or "fast". What is achieved by knowing the weight, please?

#17 ·
I don't understand the need to have a number to understand concepts like "heavy" or "hot" or "fast". What is achieved by knowing the weight, please?
Simple. Strength training. If you talk to someone who knows about strength training and you say, I need help to build up my strength, so I can pick up my motorcycle. They have no clue what the frack you’re talking about having never lifted a moto. But put a number on it and now it’s measured and can be a goal.

Peeps who have ridden, but only a Harley, and wanting to look pretty in their black T-shirt’s and boots with half pot helmets say, well, don’t drop the bike in the first place. Or, hurt your back like a man.

And yet other moto riders say you’re doing it wrong. You need to lift with your back, and start sending you videos of girls picking up BMWs or Harley’s which are already raked at 45 degrees.

Do you see? Maybe not. And then the numbers are just numbers and you can ignore them. Ok? I hope that answers your question.

#19 ·
I was skeptical while reading the first post, but after reading to this point I love that someone thought of this and tried it.
I took a single track for ADV bikes course with my DL1000 one time and it was the biggest strength training workout of my life haha.

Reactions: xtian
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.