StromTrooper banner

HJC IS Max 2 compared to HJC I90

960 7
About time to retire my IS max 2
Anyone with any direct experience with the IS Max 2 going to the new I90
Is the I90 quieter etc. Any regrets with the I90 purchase?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I've have both. My old IS2 mechanism started to fail a couple years ago after many many miles. HJC fits my oblong head and I know the fit I'll get from their size L, so I went with the brand and I bought the I90. I care most about fit on my head and avoiding hot spots on my forehead which happens with other brands for "round heads". The I90 fits as expected. I never use the sun shield and could do without it. I prefer electrical tape or sun shield tape at the top of my visor. The I90 says it has grooves for eyeglasses, they don't work for me, I have to take my glasses off to put the helmet on and off which is irritating, where to put the glasses without knocking them off to the concrete or dirt, not huge, but my other HJC helmets had enough room to put on and take off leaving my glasses on my face. The I90 fits tighter. Good I guess, but unhandy. I don't notice much or any difference in noise or comfort outside of that. I've worn modular helmets for years and understand they are noisier than full face, but it's a compromise, and ear plugs should make up some difference. A few months after buying the I90 I found a new stock IS2 on ebay, it was missing the Cheek pads. Sweet ! I made a low offer to the seller, and got the helmet, then purchased cheek pads in a size I needed, and got a new IS max 2 in the box. Now that I have both in my garage gear cabinet, I'll say, the I90 hasn't been worn since I got the IS2. I'll probably start wearing the I90 to see if it wears in and gets more comfortable. I'm sure it will, I just go with what I had and am used to. I wouldn't hesitate getting another, but would recommend trying one on before you have one shipped to you. Good advice always, if you have a chance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answer Byron.
I thought someone on this site said HJC changed the way they fit in the last year.
I was hoping you would say the new one was quieter than the old one. But I think the original is worth it for the price.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have used two IS Max 2 helmets over a span of about 8 years. Went to look for a new helmet at shops and online. Tried the I90 but only shied away because all they had was black and I wanted something just a bit different.

Ended up with a Sedici Carbon modular helmet from cycle gear. Am pleased but it took a week to get the helmet to settle into my head shape. I use the sunshade always during the day.

Not much help here but I do miss the IS Max 2.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I've got the big brother 90s. the i90 is essentially the same but a little bit heavier and slightly different styling.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had 2 i90 helmets and love them. They are very comfy. I wear an XL but have to put 2xl cheek pads in the xl helmet to make it fit right since I have a rounder face. Look at FC Moto then have all the color options on their website. I found that the helmets end up being cheaper than buy in the states, even with the shipping cost. They have some super cool colors that are only sold in Europe. The i90 fits very true to size.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
241 Posts
I now own 2 of the I-90s and like them both. The basic helmet shape of the I-90 is Intermediate to Long Oval and so is perfect for me. Never owned the IS Max 2 so I can;t compare them but I'm learning a little from this thread.

The first of mine I am sending to HJC for warranty repair - the sun shield is stuck up inside the helmet and won;t come down. The second is in their "Stone Grey" color and I have yet to break it in as I'm waiting for an injury to heal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts