StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post up a review of my new helmet. I purchased it new for $150shipped from motorcyclegear.com and I've been very happy with it so I wanted to share. I should include a disclaimer that I've never had a high dollar helmet so I can't really compare this one to a SHOEI or Aria type helmet.

Positives:
Comfort-This one fits me much better than my previous helmet.
Noise-Much quieter than my previous helmet. It has a "chin curtain" which helps
Ventilation-The vents are easy to open with gloves and provide a good amount of air flow
Shield removal-shield is easy to remove and replace
Sun Shade-Includes a built in sun shade that helps with glare. It could be a darker tint but is still nice.
Speaker pockets-Nice speaker pockets built in

Negatives:
Cold Air-I don't think that this helmet keeps out quite as much cold air as my old one. Not a problem at the moment. We will see when it gets back down to freezing.
Fogging Up-visor is supposed to be anti-fog but it can still fog up. Pinlock shields are available. I may try one when it gets colder. Right now it's not a problem.
Not Snell certified-I've read plusses and minuses about the snell system. This one is DOT but not SNELL.

Overall, I am very pleased. It seems like a great buy for the money. Of course, a helmet fitting correctly is more important than any feature IMO. I recommend trying on this one if you are in the market.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have the same helmet. It fits my long oval head well. I added the pinlock visor after a couple of "riding blind" incidents in the rain in the Sierras. I use it at temps well below freezing and the Pinlock keeps the visor clear. It also flows more air than my Nolan 102(nice in summer, a little cool in winter!). The helmet is also ECE approved - they just can't put the stickers on those helmets sold outside Europe (I believe). One of the top vent cover rattles when it is in the closed positions but other than that I am happy with it. I got it from Newenough.com (now MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!) for $124.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know they aren't the most expensive, but HJC helmets are good quality and I feel if you find a helmet that fits your head, then you have dealt with one of the more important issues with helmet happiness. I have a different HJC and my only problem is that it doesn't let in enough air. The IS-16 looks like a good upgrade.

Another advantage of the HJC over a more expensive helmet is that when I park the bike I don't have to worry as much about helmet theft.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just wanted to post up a review of my new helmet. I purchased it new for $150shipped from motorcyclegear.com and I've been very happy with it so I wanted to share.
That's the helmet I presently have. I find it a bit noisy, but that could just be my Strom and air turbulence. It might be quieter on a GoldWing. I had to keep the shield just cracked open in a long (400 Km) cool and very wet ride recently, fogging up was a real problem. I love the tinted slide down shield. Fits my head and face quite well. Have not crash tested it yet. Shield comes adrift now and then, usually when I'm closing it; not a big deal.

I didn't pay a fortune either for the helmet, overall a good deal.

Marc

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a long oval big head as well and this helmet fits my head great. It is a little loud on my V Strom but on my Road King with the windshield it's quieter. Overall I love it. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts