StromTrooper banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Make sure to double or triple check the max tongue load on your vehicle. It's not uncommon to see that your vehicle is rated to tow 5,000 pounds and neglect to account of the downward force on the hitch.

As an aside, if you're towing on anything other than normal roads, I'd check out off-road specific hitch mounts. If, heaven forbid, the vehicle or trailer roll, they don't both roll.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been noodling the whole drive-it-there-and-ride approach for a while, too. I am now a septuagenarian (Latin for geezer), and would druther drive a comfy pickup a time zone away, ride some back country, then load up and drive home.
I am unclear on the concept here. I've had experience driving a flatbed truck empty with a side mount forklift dangling off the back, and I will not drive with that kind of weight distribution ever again. Tongue weight is not the same as suspended weight; there is no weight carried by another axle behind the receiver.
Isn't it possible to load the 'Strom in the box, along with other gear, and any excess in the super- or crew cab? A DL650 with a 61.4"/1560mm WB & 89.6"/2275mm OAL situated diagonally in the box should fit, even in a 61"/1549mm crew cab box, and an additional ~20"/510mm tailgate down, maybe a box extender; 72.8"/1849mm for a super cab plus 20" tailgate. I'm using 2017-20 DL650 and 2019-20 Ford Ranger dimensions.

View attachment 274899 This 3 piece foldable ramp is only $20USD more than the hitch carrier above and is sold by the same seller.* Stores easily in the box with plenty of room left for other gear.
For me, I may also consider renting an MC trailer to tow the bike, but as a septu, uh, geezer, I don't want to hassle with towing a trailer. I pulled them for a living, I don't want to pay to do it now.

*They show that it is currently out of stock

I hare having to load a bike that high, so I opt to tow. For one-day trips, U-haul has motorcycle trailers for $14.95 where I am. I used it three times and it's been a great experience.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts