StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Sunday on my way home at 3:30am, I got hit by a drunk wrong way cager at highway speed as I was merging.

Bottom line is I am done riding for good. Lost my right foot and good part of the lower calf. Broke two fingers on my right hand as well as lots rash.

I have received great care and have a great firm to take care of my family's interests.

I will continue to troll the threads but soon someone in Colorado will get a great deal in an 02 V.

More updates later if warranted, as well as a posting the sale as soon as I settle that issue.

Take care out there and keep the wheels down.

Dale - Arvada Colorado

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
:frown2::crying2:

Too many sad stories lately. There are amputees coming back from service who are riding. You never know the future for sure. Whatever happens, I hope you cope well and find renewed joy in life.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
Damn - lucky you are alive after that.

Don't give up on two wheels. Lot of riders with issues over on the Burgman forum.
Talk to them. I own both Wee and Burgman Exec and love them both.

Suzuki Burgman Forum

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It upsets me when people are careless and it is even worse when people choose to DUI.
What you are dealing with is not easy but at least your family still has you here.
I wish you the best in your recovery.

Reactions: sbeadg

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I worked with people, for 12 years, who had broken their necks and backs. Also went with them to international sporting events. At the moment no doubt everything looks pretty black. I can tell you that will pass with time. What can be done now days is amazing. You never known what you will be able to do till you try. I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for your future

·
Registered
561 Posts
I hope for your swift recovery and healing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whatever your final "final" decision is...it will be the right one for you. Keep your spirits high and you'll win every battle.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of this. I can somewhat relate because I'm missing about 1/3 of my right foot (lawn mower accident when I was a young child). Essentially no toes, etc. I have no memory of ever having a complete right foot, and I grew up with it as it is and have done just fine (I'm 55 YO). Most days pass with me not even thinking about it, and I only sometimes do even when I'm washing that foot. So, though things might look bleak at present, you might be surprised by how well you do a couple years down the road. I certainly hope you do well. I wish the best for you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, also makes my blood boil when I hear stuff like this. I know this is just my emotions talking but should have the person who hit you taken to the hospital and have their foot surgically removed, that is after they get out of jail.

I hope you are able to recover and glad to hear it wasn't worse.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I worked with people, for 12 years, who had broken their necks and backs. Also went with them to international sporting events. At the moment no doubt everything looks pretty black. I can tell you that will pass with time. What can be done now days is amazing. You never known what you will be able to do till you try. I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for your future
this....it's also very good to have a goal in mind and sounds like riding was very important...stick with it...

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I have to be honest, if something like this happened to me, I think my decision might be the same as rodentinaz's. One thing that keeps me on a bike is not dwelling on all the really horrible things that can happen to you when you ride. Most of the time, you can do that successfully, apart from the occasional "oh shit!" moment when you realize for a second just how quick things can go bad. We shake it off and keep riding. For rodentinaz, he has a lifetime reminder of how bad things can get that are outside your control, and of how much your life depends on someone else not doing something really, really stupid (or criminal, like drunk driving).

I'm sorry for what happened to you, rodentinaz, and I can sure understand your decision.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
This bunch would beg to disagree...

How to Ride a Motorcycle With Parts Missing (on you, not the bike)
Adaptive Modifications for Amputee Motorcycling

by Jeffrey J. Cain, MD
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
– Anonymous
inMotion: How to Ride a Motorcycle With Parts Missing (on you, not the bike) - Adaptive Modifications for Amputee Motorcycling
and he walks the walk.....

About the Author
Jeffrey Cain, MD, a bilateral BK amputee, is the chief of family medicine at The Children's Hospital in Denver, Colorado. Cain is a member of the Amputee Coalition Board of Directors. In his spare time, Cain is a pilot and enjoys swimming, biking, snow skiing and water skiing. He rides a Vespa scooter for urban commuting.
My personal take is it's easy to succumb to fear of what might happen....put it on ignore and enjoy.....get back on the horse.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sending you good energy from across the nation. I hope it finds you mending as best you can. Whatever your path is in the future, keep positive and moving forward.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Wow, that's terrible. Don't really know what else to say about it. A terrible piece of bad luck for you. I can't blame you if you feel like you're done with motorcycling.

Glad to hear that you're mostly intact and will live to fight another day, though. And I certainly don't mean to understate the severity of your injuries, which sound awful enough, in saying that.

Best wishes in dealing with the aftermath of this incident.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts