StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me star by saying I work nights 6pm to 6am. I live in the hill country (20 acres close to a place called Hamilton Pool ) and ride 30 miles each way into austin . I have to traval 14 of those miles down a 2 lane farm to market road (Hamlton pool rd . very twisty) . so the other morning I am heading home @ 5;30am driving 55mph and dodge all the deer on hamilton pool rd than turn onto the little road leading into my subdivision and crousing the posted speed limit of 40mph. come out a sharp s curve I see a doe by the side of the road and slow down a little as she starts to run away, I lean into the entrance of the second curve and just as I do she turnes and runs at me just as I reach even with her on the right side :jawdrop:. I lean back up and even lean a little the other way and brace for impact, she dives at the last min. and hits me in my right leg ,jolts the bike,, my passenger foot peg smacks her head . I look forward and slow to a near stop , my leg is numb but me and my wee are still up right. I turn around and find the deer staring at me wabling on her legs ( with that deer in the headlight look HAHA) for a min. then she disapears into the woods. I get home and check my self and the wee out , there is deer hair on the edge of the skidplate that made a few weeks ago, and on my passenger foot peg and bracket and also in my boot laces but no other damage. I go in the house drink a beer and thank the man upstairs for geting me through.:thumbup:

·
Registered
515 Posts
The deer are insane:thumbup: this time of year( rut) glad your ok.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Your lucky! Deer suck. I lived in the city all my life and never seen any on my commute. Well about a month ago, I moved to Granbury and commute into FW and I am seeing deer all the time, almost hit one the other day. I got pretty good at dodging mindless cagers, but deer are more unpredictable and quicker. Scary, to say the least. Does it get better after fall/winter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your lucky! Deer suck. I lived in the city all my life and never seen any on my commute. Well about a month ago, I moved to Granbury and commute into FW and I am seeing deer all the time, almost hit one the other day. Scary, to say the least. Does it get better after fall/winter?

Yes they do, I am from ft worth area( watauga) and lived near Granbury for a while (Tin TOP north of granbury and lived in glenrose while workin at the nuclear plant. good luck missing the little ^&$* on you commute.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Deer gang initiation - bite a motorcyclist on the ankle.

You're a lucky man. Glad to hear it.
You've got more nerve than I do, riding deer infested roads every commute.
A least I can see traffic coming.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes they do, I am from ft worth area( watauga) and lived near Granbury for a while (Tin TOP north of granbury and lived in glenrose while workin at the nuclear plant. good luck missing the little ^&$* on you commute.
Thanks, I'll need it. Funny I never seen any on my old commute, I35W between Keller and FW. LOL

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Glad you made it this time. Not sure how big your deer population is, but running 55 at 5:30 in the morn around here will get ya killed. Its never the other guy in the country, its the deer that pose the real hazard., particularly between dusk and dawn.
Have another deer and count your blessings.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Deer

I too live in the Texas Hil Country. No joke, about 5 years ago I was out for an early morning ride on my HD Ultra. Came around a blind corner and had a large doe turn and run straight at me. I braced for the impact just as the deer jumped and flew directly between me and the front fairing! She knocked my left hand off the controls, but somehow I maintained control and didn't go down. It happend so fast I could hardly recall what happened, but my buddy riding behind me saw the whole thing and said it was the most amazing thing he ever witnessed. All I remember is having to change my underwear afterwards.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Larry Grodsky, the guru of motorcycle safety, was killed in Texas about 5 years ago when he hit a deer. I believe the accident occured around dusk and he hit the deer at considerable speed. Speculation was that it shot out from the side of the road and it appeared so fast that he never even saw before he hit it and had no chance to avoid it.

Here in rural NJ they are all over the place. My garden is often full of them. I try to avoid riding after sunset whenever I can.

Idst - glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You're

Your = possessive pronoun.
You're contraction of You are.
You're lucky your primary school teachers aren't reading this.

Just had a hard day teaching grammar to 8 year olds.:headbang:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Dawn and dusk are the worst times, but anytime it's dark they are likely to be moving around. Oh, and during the day too -- on the last group ride I took out near Sisterdale, I saw one shoot across the road and barely miss the guy in front of me, just after lunch.

So I don't want to be the annoying ATGATT preacher, but given the huge population of deer in central TX, the fact that they're probably even crazier than usual now because of the drought, and the times of your commute, I do hope you're wearing the gear. A friend of mine has a big mass of scar tissue on each knee from when he hit a deer outside Killeen 25 years or so ago (he was wearing jeans). His leather jacket was shredded but it protected his skin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dawn and dusk are the worst times, but anytime it's dark they are likely to be moving around. Oh, and during the day too -- on the last group ride I took out near Sisterdale, I saw one shoot across the road and barely miss the guy in front of me, just after lunch.

So I don't want to be the annoying ATGATT preacher, but given the huge population of deer in central TX, the fact that they're probably even crazier than usual now because of the drought, and the times of your commute, I do hope you're wearing the gear. A friend of mine has a big mass of scar tissue on each knee from when he hit a deer outside Killeen 25 years or so ago (he was wearing jeans). His leather jacket was shredded but it protected his skin.
yes, I do wear proper gear at night and most days, have several sets of mesh Jackets and pants and a couple sets of textile pants and jackets, gloves and boots.

I usually see 10 to 50 deer on my way home and have had several close calls , Almost hit a coyote once , Hit a black lab in the daylight, and a couple rabits

·
Registered
435 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out ok. I also live out in the country but I'm in NC. We have TONS of deer in my area. One of them jumped out and hit the side of my front bumper on my truck one morning less than 100 yards from the end of my driveway. I've all but stopped riding my motorcycle to/from work around "deer season." It's normally still very dark when I leave in the morning to go to work. I still ride, but not around dawn or dusk or at night. I have a 31 mile one-way-commute to work and about half of that is country back roads where I see dead deer on the side of the road daily. I've seen HERDS of deer as large as 20 or more in the fields on the sides of the street I live on. Just not worth the risk to me anymore. Too many close calls. Around here it's not a question of whether or not you're going to have a close encounter with a deer. It's a question of when. And how many times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts