StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work this morning I hit a surprise pothole at about 40 mph. After getting off the bike I noticed that the lip of the front rim is slightly bent. It only looks about 1/16 of an inch off, and the tire is still holding air. Balance still seems normal.

Is this something I can ignore, or will this cause me problems in the future?

I'm getting ready to leave on a 5k mile trip in late August, and I'm not sure my budget will allow me a new rim.

Any thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I actually get it repaired? It is holding air just fine, and is only bent on one side. Do things like this get worse over time?

I am assuming that since it seems to be OK now, that it will be in the future as well. Am I being naive?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It will probably be fine. It won't change with time. It's up to you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
On the way to work this morning I hit a surprise pothole at about 40 mph. After getting off the bike I noticed that the lip of the front rim is slightly bent. It only looks about 1/16 of an inch off, and the tire is still holding air. Balance still seems normal.

Is this something I can ignore, or will this cause me problems in the future?

I'm getting ready to leave on a 5k mile trip in late August, and I'm not sure my budget will allow me a new rim.

Any thoughts?

You got photos of the bent rim?

I had a similar experience with my rim.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As always, I appreciate the feedback. I'll post pictures of the rim. Today was a bad day for riding. On my way home I picked up a 3 inch screw in my rear tire. I plugged the hole, and for now it is holding, but I don't want to start my trip on a plugged tire, so there goes $120 toward a new battlewing.

Oh well. Sh*t happens.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I have a visible ding in my front rim as well. Been there at least 40,000km.

Mine had more style though, I was being chased by a 990 (and he totalled his rim on the washed out culvert we both hit), neither of us were going slow :) .

Should be fine, but it's easy to get the small ones out if you want to.

Cheers
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts