StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Acrylic/plexiglass shatters like that.

Lexan/polycarbonate bends and is better windscreen material. It is softer so has to be coated. It deteriorates faster in UV light so has to be replaced more often. It is a bit more expensive. My 2005 Wee endoed and had a huge scratched area on the MP polycarbonate windscreen and a dented tank top and top box lid. The screen did not break though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the question now is, what do I replace it with.

id like to find something that might reduce buffeting a bit more. I was thinking of a Parabellum.

·
38,103 Posts
Your old windscreen is an acrylic Cee Bailey, not a Cal-Sci as you stated in the video. If I was going to buy a windscreen today now that MP is out of business, I'd get a Cal-Sci. The relieved lower portion with the vent above it make the Cal-Sci easy to identify. It is modified acrylic, supposedly the best of both worlds, not shattering like acrylic or deteriorating like polycarbonate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I feel for ya. I hit a bird this year at around 55 mph with the right handguard. Much to my surprise it didn't do anything to it but I had guts and such on the side of the bike. Sure glad the handguard was there, even if it was the "flimsy Suzuki" model...:beatnik:

·
38,103 Posts
anyone know if the calsci will work with madstad bracket?
Sure it will. Any windscreen that will work with the stock bracket on a 2004 or later Vee or any Wee will work with the Madstad bracket. The Glee screen will not work on a Madstad.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Pat. Going to place order today once I figure out the height I need on the calsci.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Home of dumb clucks?

I think the Kaladar Flight School is turning out some unqualified fliers.

The only place I hit a bird was Highway 7, near Kaladar. I smacked a seagull with the engine of my CB77, back in 1966. A few bloody feathers remained on the engine casing, but I saw no other remains.

Like you, I had a second casualty on that ride. Near Peterborough (so that's before I hit the bird, eh?) I killed a skunk. I went over its back at about 80 MPH, and I believe I heard the spine crack. But I never got a whiff of the skunk's perfume, either at the impact or later sniffing the rear wheel.

The flight school is not doing all that well with bats either. Again on Highway 7, I saw an OPP Officer staring grimly at the front of her cruiser. Sure enough, the body of a bat was embedded in the grille, cold and dead. I removed her grilled bat for her and offered her the trophy, but she was disgusted, so I bagged it and canned it and accepted the officer's thanks.

Funny, isn't it? If I had been plastered on the front of a car, I bet she could have peeled me off it and done her best, but she could not stomach the idea of touching that poor little dead mammal.

I find that Ontario Stromtroopers have more ideas about windshields than any others. It seems no two bikes in Ontario have similar windshields and brackets after they are a year old. I have 73000 miles on my stock windshield, and it is scratched and glazed but I don't care.

Enjoy your ride. Ontario is having a wonderful summer!
Keith

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Acrylic/plexiglass shatters like that.

Lexan/polycarbonate bends and is better windscreen material. It is softer so has to be coated. It deteriorates faster in UV light so has to be replaced more often. It is a bit more expensive. My 2005 Wee endoed and had a huge scratched area on the MP polycarbonate windscreen and a dented tank top and top box lid. The screen did not break though.
Over the past three riding seasons, steel has worked fairly well for me, I have found it to be pretty tough stuff; bugs, branches, rocks, (but no birds) have pelted it, with not a problem. Fairly easy to maintain as well. Every once in awhile, I spray it with Rhinoliner to "freshen up" its looks.

-------------------

Nice video, Nic! Great testimonial for the full face helmet too! I agree with you 100%.

B.L.

·
38,103 Posts
I'm waiting for you to weld up a steel helmet for yourself. Has anybody ever asked you if your bike was a Ural? It looks like something the Russians would build. Strong like bull!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I'm waiting for you to weld up a steel helmet for yourself. Has anybody ever asked you if your bike was a Ural? It looks like something the Russians would build. Strong like bull!
The most often question I get asked is, "What kind of bike is that?" And, that is also coming from riders too!

The next question would be, "What model KTM is that? I didn't know that they made something like that."

The next question is, "Which BMW model is that?"

As you know, because you have followed the metamorphosis over the past several years, what work was done, was not done for looks! (An understatement?). It was done to get the bike down to a very practical piece of machinery that, I could work on along side a road if I had to. And, you have seen photos of me doing that as well!

Where I usually have my most fun is crossing the border into Canada, and back into the US. On both sides, after the "serious" questions have been asked, 99.9% of the time I get, "Okay, I have seen a lot of motorcycles come through here. What is this thing?"

My last trip into Québec, the Canadian border guard, was a jovial fellow, who had a hard time asking the "serious" questions because he wanted to get to the "good stuff"; learning about my bike! He also really liked my license plate too. He smiled broadly and laughed at it: "CHEZMOIS" "My Home"

On the same trip, when I crossed back into Maine, at the Jackman border crossing, (Much busier then my usual, Coburn Gore crossings.), the border guard was flat out dead serious asking his questions to me. And, there was another guard looking everything over with a keen eye. Finally, when the guard handed back my passport and was indicating that I was clear to pass through, he broke out in a big smile and through laughter asked; "You got to tell me what kind of bike this is! It's cool!"

To me, it just "is what it is". It's not unlike all of the woodworking equipment that I use daily on my job. It's a tool to help me get a job done; I need to get from "Point A" to "Point B", then back to "Point A" again.

There is no other motorcycle on the face of this Earth that can do that job as well as the DL-650 can. PERIOD!!!

B.L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a head-on collision last year with a sparrow. Hit me in the chest at 70mph. No damage to me except shock and exhilaration. No windshield on my DR650se.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
That video of the screens just shows what a tough neighbourhood it is where they live!

·
Registered
588 Posts
There is no other motorcycle on the face of this Earth that can do that job as well as the DL-650 can. PERIOD!!!

B.L.
AHEm.... DL1K. Just sayin' ;) (Or at least a close second!):yesnod:

(Sorry for the hi-jack. We now return you to your previously scheduled programming.)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
AHEm.... DL1K. Just sayin' ;) (Or at least a close second!):yesnod:

(Sorry for the hi-jack. We now return you to your previously scheduled programming.)
Your fuel costs are higher then the DL-650.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad you're OK. The last animal I hit on my motorcycle did a lot of damage too, hit a moose in Alaska. Moose was fine, bike...not so much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts