StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering a series of history based rides. Gamble Mansion, Dade battlefeild, St Augustine, etc. The first would be a trip to Andersonville prision in Georgia in the next few weeks. Any one interested? PM me and Ill get the ball rolling. Curt

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey buddy. I've been to Andersonville and must say that it is a very humbling place. To think that 45,000 prisoners were there during the Civil War and over 13,000 died make Gitmo look like a spa. You could stop and see Jimmy Carter's place while you are in the area.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Went to Antietam and Gettysburg this summer.
My brother-in-law had told me that at G'burg he felt "presence" but I didn't. Perhaps too many monuments and tourists take that away. Perhaps a re-enactment event might improve the feeling.
Impressive just the same.

Till 04 I had been without a bike for 20+ years. Then till this year it had been just about the riding. More recently I realize that I've missed alot so have been "stopping to smell the roses" and experience the great stuff that's around.
We have much available to us.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Great Idea

Im considering a series of history based rides. Gamble Mansion, Dade battlefeild, St Augustine, etc. The first would be a trip to Andersonville prision in Georgia in the next few weeks.
Not up for a trip to Georgia but the underlying idea of rides to historic sites sounds great.
I'll keep an eye out for the next one. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Lets ride, the rest is History.

How about July 31st/ August 1 weekend? There is a KOA cabin available for that weekend 32.00 plus tax ( in Cordele, GA). I am more interested in the ride than anything else. There is also a cabin in Tifton for 45.00 per night.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
History Ride #1

Planning to meet at the Flying J at I 75 and State road 54 at 6:30 am Next Saturday morning and heading up to Andersonville. Clem has found Koa cabins in Cordele for the night. I should take us between 5 and 6 hours to make the run up to Andersonville. Curt

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok I reserved a cabin for July 31st in Cordele, GA, if my wife comes along I want my own cabin. Otherwise, I will share my cabin with you whomever wants one. It looks like the wife will not go though.

The plan, leaving Flying J on Saturday the 31st returning on Sunday the 1st. Now come one come all. This will be a fun event!

Clem

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dates

We ended up cutting down a tree that threatened 2 houses last evening an I was beat when I posted.The dates of jul 31 , Aug 1 are correct. meeting point one will be hr Flying J at I 75 and sr 54 at 6:30Am possibly a second point could be made further nortH. Possibly at SR 200 and I 75 or ???. Curt

·
Registered
776 Posts
options oh the options

Travelodge in Cordele is 45.00 for a double, that would provide another alternative...

or I know you love tenting, I saw the way you set yours up in Flamingo. You were able to swat and fling poles faster than anyone I have seen. In fact, I can't think of another finer example of " a happy camper."

·
Registered
603 Posts
Travelodge in Cordele is 45.00 for a double, that would provide another alternative...

or I know you love tenting, I saw the way you set yours up in Flamingo. You were able to swat and fling poles faster than anyone I have seen. In fact, I can't think of another finer example of " a happy camper."
Thanks for the laugh first thing in the morning. :thumbup:

Don't make any changes for me because I'm not sure if I'm making the trip yet.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Planning to meet at the Flying J at I 75 and State road 54 at 6:30 am Next Saturday morning and heading up to Andersonville. Clem has found Koa cabins in Cordele for the night. I should take us between 5 and 6 hours to make the run up to Andersonville. Curt

the flying J is on the corner of SR52, (NOT 54) just don't want confusion.

Who else is coming along? This will be a great trip taking the west backroads North and the East backroads South, how can you go wrong?

see you there at 6:30 AM Saturday

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well guys, I'm up for the ride if you'll have me. Clem, I'll take you up on the bottom bunk. I can see why you want the top. If I were on the top you'd spend the night like a miner waiting for the cave to collapse. :mrgreen:

Where should I meet you guys? Will you becoming through Hwy 44 in Wildwood? If so I can meet you at the Gate Gas Station. If not, let me know where and when.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well guys, I'm up for the ride if you'll have me. Clem, I'll take you up on the bottom bunk. I can see why you want the top. If I were on the top you'd spend the night like a miner waiting for the cave to collapse. :mrgreen:

Where should I meet you guys? Will you becoming through Hwy 44 in Wildwood? If so I can meet you at the Gate Gas Station. If not, let me know where and when.

Awesome that you can make it. Gate gas is no problem, give us about 45 minutes to get there from the 6:30 time at the flying J. Yes you are welcome to have a bottom bunk, no I am not sleeping beneath you. Ok Cabin is full. Who the hell is next? Hmmmmm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts