StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, getting old is a bitch. Had a nice ride today to and from the cabin, 1 hour each way, and my hips were killing me. Could barely walk when I got home. Would lowering the foot pegs help out? If I can't get this fixed, I may need to say goodbye to my baby.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes, I know, getting old is a bitch. Had a nice ride today to and from the cabin, 1 hour each way, and my hips were killing me. Could barely walk when I got home. Would lowering the foot pegs help out? If I can't get this fixed, I may need to say goodbye to my baby.
You may need to lower the pegs, raise and bring back the bars, or change your seat. I had knee issues and my was cured by an increase in seat height compliment of a RDL seat.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Three words:

Russel Day Long

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
MSR atv highbars, Russell Day Long seat and Richland Ricks lowering pegs were the answer for me. I quit crossing my left ankle resting to my right knee too. I think it has helped. Took the pressure off my left hip.

·
Registered
522 Posts
might want to consider Highway Pegs also. Somewhere else to rest your feet for just a few minutes can make a big, big difference. It's hell on your joints getting old!!

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Russell day long & 1800 Gold Wing pegs

·
Registered
522 Posts
ST114ME: I have been considering changing egs on my DL for a while. How do Goldwing Pegs help with sore hips and other issues?

BTW: Assuming your handle refers to Honda, I am still sorry I sold my old ST1100 for an ST1300. I simply liked it better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
up and back risers, russell seat, w backrest, sw motech skidplate w happy trails hwy pegs.. LIFE IS GOOD.. goldwing pegs dont do much if anything unless yer gonna stand on em..

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
On stock seats after a while it would feel like my hips were being pulled out of their sockets. Same pain after sleeping on my side. Knee pillow helps the latter. Sargent seat (narrower nose) cured the former.

·
Registered
392 Posts
same problem

Might check out the guy on this forum, don't remember his company name, sorry, that sells skid plates and highway pegs that attach to the plate. Nice looking setup. While a seat helps some, being able to change leg positions helps more. I suffer from the same problem and this skid plate/highway peg combo is on my list.

Heck if you sit at your computer for an hour and don't change positions at all for that time your hips will bother you there too. It's not the bike or the seat, it's holding a constant seating position with no way to change it that causes the pain.

Bill H.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I've had hip problems since I was 30 something. Comfort comfort comfort.
I still do very long rides 12-14 hour days, 5000km over a week and the like - the trick is not putting up with things that don't work right on the bike.

Fix all the things that make you ride scrunched up.
Others have got the details pretty much right - none are expensive apart from the seat, but only you can tell what needs fixing .

Pete

·
Registered
392 Posts
hips

Btw, selling the bike and buying another won't fix anything at all. No bike stock is comfy for long on the hips. Generally all factory seats are the pits, they are cheap. And no other bike has multiple foot positions (except possibly for floorboards, usually though there are pedals in the way) so you still have to change things to make it work. Might as well fix the one you've got :)

Bill H.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input

Thanks all for the input. I have a Sargent seat which helps a bit and I mounted some pegs to my crash bars. The pegs help but they are very high.

If I install the up and back handlebar mounts, will they interfere with my steering stabilizer? Will I need to replace my brake lines and clutch line due to the increased height?

Lastly, do anyone make replacement shifter and rear brake pedal if I lower the pegs?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The best thing to do with a steering stabilizer is to change the handlebars. Rox style risers can work but they need to be over 2-1/2" high.

Mid back pain - change handlebars

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
You need to modify you

All the above is helpful but iI recommend a curative then maintenance dose of FISH OIL

For 6 weeks take a total of 4 per day 2 in the morning 2 in the evening.
After I recommend 2 per day.

You will just become more flexible. Your joints will work better and you will have improved circulation. The surprising thing is you will have increased visual acuity which is useful in riding

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are good too but the fish oil will make everything work better. If your over 60 look into resveratrol

Now say crack pot and ignore this

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are good too but the fish oil will make everything work better. If your over 60 look into resveratrol
And don't forget the ibuprofin. Will it be two or will it be four?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unfortunately, the whole glucosamine/chondroitin/fish oil thing has yet to be proven by any scientific study. Given my back issues, I wish it was a cure-all. A custom seat will help you, as will the lowering pegs. Richland Rick makes some nice ones. I bought the Happy Trail highway pegs 'cause they bolt to the skid plate and are a much more comfortable position than pegs on the engine guard.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I bought the Happy Trail highway pegs 'cause they bolt to the skid plate and are a much more comfortable position than pegs on the engine guard.
Don't forget about using the passenger pegs as an alternative.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts