StromTrooper banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ill update my experience....on the ride back from Green Bay, WI to Boston it was typically 32-4F. I didnt take my Hippo hands in the end and they werent required. Hand guards were good enough when combined with Scott gore-tex winter gloves.

thanks for all the great info!

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Just to update this info a little. The only hippo hands (RTm) are made in Canada, cause it actually gets cold up here :green_lol: http://www.hippohands.com/Dual Purpose.htm They are made in St. Cath. On Ca. They are made to fit with or without hand guards. They are water proof because they are made with a layer of plastic between the inner and outer cloths.They are purpose built for specific bikes. eg. DL650 with or without hand guard.
They do work. I road 20 miles at 48 below zero at an average speed of 25 mph. back in the 70's on a Honda 125 dirt bike. Without the hippos you would not go 2 miles before parts started to break off :jawdrop:
There are other cheaper brands/nockoffs and you get what you pay for :yikes::headbang: Face it guys, a good pair of winter moto gloves are $90.ish

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I ordered a set of the Hippo Hands and the transaction went smoothly. Delivery was as planned and they seem to fit the bill. I havent been able to use them yet, but they look like they will work well. FWIW, I had a set of an older variation of these (unknown if Hippo Hands or some other brand) which appear nowhere near as effective as these.

Here are a couple of pics of the Hippo Hands installed on my 06 Wee.

Just setting on the handlebar (with handguards)...
[/IMG]

Closing them off now via 2 snaps and velcro...
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Now they are installed. Takes about 5 seconds per side.
[/IMG]

Note...I ordered mine with the optional front reflectorized tape.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got Mine 2 weeks ago

though they look horrible they actually work great... easy on easy off, so far lowest ride was 28 F and kept me toasty with heated grips and Held Steves.
Im glad i purchased them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the review guys, I just ordered them... Sounds like just what I need for the winter temps!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hippo Hands with SW Motech Barkbusters?

Old thread but I didn't want to start a new one unnecessarily.

Do Hippo Hands for handguards fit over SW Motech's barkbuster handguards?

thx.

pmk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this an old thread but check out the new Hippo Hands models, they are pretty slick.
Simple to mount them over your brush guards and the new designs are way better than the old ones.
Totally changed my attitude about commuting and long rides in cold weather, just way more fun to have warm hands...combine them with heated grips and it's like magic.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
consider these as well

price is right, waterproof, easy to put on tho might need a bit of fiddle to prevent pressing on the back of your hands at speed

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A local rider was cleaning out the closet and gave me these for free several years ago.

They got misplaced in my garage and I recently found them. As you can see in the picture above, there are no cut-outs for the mirrors to mount, so I put in some large grommets and now the mirrors mount perfectly. I have the steel Barkbuster brush guards inside them, so that when moving at speed, these won't press against the levers. They are super easy to get the hands in and out (even with gloves on), but I might do something to keep them a bit more upright. These things coupled with my heated gloves will take me to any temp I want to ride in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just tried the new Hippo Hands Alcan model for the first time today and they were better than expected. Left my house at 33 degrees this morning using only summer gloves. My hands were freezing by the time I got to work, but that is 28 miles/30 minutes later, mostly highway. But I felt no wind on my hands. On the way home it was 45 degrees and it was great. The best part is being able to use thinner gloves. I have heated gloves, and while they're good, I don't like the bulkiness and loss of finger dexterity. I suppose if it gets too cold I will try heated gloves and the Hippo Hands. But any winter ride with my summer gloves is a bonus.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Where I live it never gets that cold, so I don't know a lot about cold-weather gear. Looking at the Hippo Hands, my concern would be that, if you ever had a spontaneous unplanned dismount, your wrists could get broken because you'd be attached to the bike.
If you drop the bike or crash, is there any danger of not being able to get your hands free of the bike?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts