StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to ride as long as there is now ice or snow on the road. My biggest problem is that I hate thick fat gloves. They just don't work for me. I have heated grips and winter moto gloves. Still at 20 to mid 30 degee temps my hands turn into dead frozen digits.
I got my hippo hands and strapped them on. The fit is ok. I might do a little mod. work to make them a little better fitting but still good enough out of the box.
I rode this morning. 15 miles and 30 degrees. All I can really say is that they work really well! I really don't need gloves with these things. I can get my hands in and out ez. They are a little wierd , and odd looking at first. I don't care. My hands are as warm as a summers day.
If you ride in the real cold stuff and fight cold hands and don't like fat, thick glove. GET THEM! You won't be let down.:devil_16:

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
I had to google hippohands to see what in the world you were talking about. Funny too, I was thinking about just such a product today while riding. The temp was about 40F, but my gloves weren't up to the task. My fingertips were burning with cold. I don't have heated grips or gloves and the distraction took much of the joy out of the ride.

I have imagined a similar solution but with much less material. Something that would enclose the handguard (especially the open bottom) just enough to shroud my hands from moving air. My problem today was at freeway speed, not when I was below 55mph, so I think it's just wind chill effect.

I've seen other brands similar to the hippohands in the ATV sections of the dealerships I've visited.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My fingertips were burning with cold. I don't have heated grips or gloves and the distraction took much of the joy out of the ride.

Something that would enclose the handguard (especially the open bottom) just enough to shroud my hands from moving air. My problem today was at freeway speed, not when I was below 55mph, so I think it's just wind chill effect.
I posted this a couple days ago in the 650 forum..

"""I commute from Victoria to Sidney Airport (30-45 minutes). I have OEM handguards and recently installed Oxford heated grips.
I wear 3 seasons gloves (really just meant for summer) that are fully lined but not very thick. At similar temps as your riding I can make my palms pretty Hot but the wind deflecting from the guards onto my fingertips/nails makes them pretty cold. The back of my hands are cool but not too bad.

I'm not gonna make any changes now as the weather is getting better by the day.

Next fall I will add some sort of small plastic fairing, just an inch or so, to attach on the bottom of the handguard to keep the wind off my fingertips, and will get gloves that have a little better insulation on the back of the hands and fingers. There are lots of good wind resistant winter gloves out there and I was looking at some the other day in a snowboard equipment department.
I won't need to add heated gloves, but heated grips and heated gloves would likely be the most comfortable setup overall. But IMO, grips alone are better than gloves alone.

Those riding gauntlet/sock looking things a couple posts back look like they would work well too.."""

I, like you have more of a problem with windchill. Deflect more of the wind and you'll be OK. I'll remedy this before next fall. You should start with heated grips first although ATV hippo handwarmer things can be had pretty cheap.

Ken

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they are not that great to look at. But there is nothing worse than frozen hands and trying to ride a motorcycle.
I have heated grips and have the same issue with the well done on one side frozen on the other.
Hippo hands makes it all go away. Just ignore the looks and ride. You hands will fell like its July....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got the Hippo Hands a couple weeks ago. Rode for about 1.5 hours at 35 degrees with Olympia Cold Throttle gloves. My finger tips were beginning to get cold but they were a huge improvement. I am running OEM handguards as well. The construction of them is top notch. Not too hard to get used to. They install and remove in a minute. Good customer service as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heated grips. That plus the hippo hands is HOT ticket.
Its just amazing how much more comfortable your whole body is when your hands are nice and warm.
I used them in the pouring down rain the other day. They worked real nice for that too....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Old thread I know but I am wondering if anyone has used Hippo hands on a stock DL1000 and can get them over the hand guards??

Thanks
Andy

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Yikes. $80 for the model that fits with handguards. I was hoping to do something like this but that much isn't in the budget. Anybody know of other options that will work with the handguards?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Old thread I know but I am wondering if anyone has used Hippo hands on a stock DL1000 and can get them over the hand guards??

Thanks
Andy
I have a set for my DL1000. Yes, they fit easily ove the handguards. They are well worth the money if you ride in the cold. The only negative effect I have found is additional air buffeting. The buffeting is not bad enough to really bother me, but I do notice it. -Greg

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a set for my DL1000. Yes, they fit easily ove the handguards. They are well worth the money if you ride in the cold. The only negative effect I have found is additional air buffeting. The buffeting is not bad enough to really bother me, but I do notice it. -Greg
Thanks Greg. You wouldnt have to have a photo of that would you? I dug out my hippo hands last night and discovered they are in fact called "Sidewind" -same ugly shape but the end that ties around the switch looks to be too small to go over the hand guard or do you have yours going only over the grip/lever?

thanks
Andy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yikes. $80 for the model that fits with handguards. I was hoping to do something like this but that much isn't in the budget. Anybody know of other options that will work with the handguards?
I remember something similar being sold for ATVs -- don't know if they'll fit over handguards though. Cabela's? Bass Pro Shops?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I bought a set of ATV "hippo hands" from Bass Pro last year. I think they were made by API Outdoors. They would not fit over the OEM hand guards.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This may be a good option that is cheaper than the brand name Hippo Hands: Linky. These are made by Oxford, the same company that makes the "Heaterz" electric grips and are priced at $59.98.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have an old pair of Vetter Hippo Hands. I have had these on 3 bikes. They replaced a set of Polar Hand I had many years ago. I like that the new Hippo Hands are custom for a bike and easier to put on and take off. But their site says they are not water proof. They should be. Also I wonder if the large opening lets more cold in. Still the old pair I have won't fit the Wee unless I remove the hand guards. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Greg. You wouldnt have to have a photo of that would you? I dug out my hippo hands last night and discovered they are in fact called "Sidewind" -same ugly shape but the end that ties around the switch looks to be too small to go over the hand guard or do you have yours going only over the grip/lever?

thanks
Andy
This is not my picture, but mine are exactly like these.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone tried the cold weather gauntlets that are sold on a website called vstroma?, Hows the quality, fit, water resistance ect.?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts