StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m debating buying some Klim Fusion gloves or buying Hippo Hands. I hate thick gloves (I would prefer to ride with the thinnest, tactile gloves), so I was thinking of getting Hippo Hands. I am currently wearing Revit Crater WP gloves and using Barkbuster Storms with Oxford heated grips on my DL650. Which is better? And if the answer is Hippo Hands-which style would you use?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Heated grips and hand muffs don't keep your hands warm at some point. Me that was in the mid 30's (F).

Get heated gloves before the muffs. They will keep your hands warmer than grips and muffs.

BTW check out Tusk Cold Pro hand mitts. I've got a pair and they work well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use a pair of Klim Fusion gloves for cold weather riding. No heated grips or gloves, no hippo hands. Factory hand guards. The gloves have an inner liner that you put on the back of your hands for better feel, or on your palm for more warmth. When talking about warmth a lot depends on you personal tolerances, but for me these are comfortable (using the warm side) to about -5C, and safe (as in, I still have full control of my fingers) to about -10C but definitely not comfortable at -10. They are a bit clumsy when using the warm side, that tends to show up when using signals or horn. The first few times you reach for either you're likely to hit both. I find I adapt fairly quickly though. If I were planning to ride below -5C with any regularity I'd be going with heated gloves.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I use a set of Leki world cup downhill ski gloves or swany mittens if it gets cold enough. More armor than most MC gloves and they are warmer than any MC gloves I've seen.

Reactions: theayn

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I have been using Five-Gloves WFX Tech gloves with Oxford heated grips and the OEM hand guards down to -9°C. Works well for commuting around 30 minutes, but doesn't feel like it gets any worse so could be good for longer stints as well (I just haven't tried it yet). When my fingertips get cold, I reposition my grip to get them in better contact with the grips. I probably should have ordered the next larger size for the gloves.

BTW check out Tusk Cold Pro hand mitts. I've got a pair and they work well.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give these a try next winter.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
I’m debating buying some Klim Fusion gloves or buying Hippo Hands. I hate thick gloves (I would prefer to ride with the thinnest, tactile gloves), so I was thinking of getting Hippo Hands. I am currently wearing Revit Crater WP gloves and using Barkbuster Storms with Oxford heated grips on my DL650. Which is better? And if the answer is Hippo Hands-which style would you use?
What conditions do you ride in? That is an important factor in your decision. I have goretex Klim Badlands gloves that I wear in the shoulder season here in the PNW (good gloves but bulky). But when it turns to winter, I use Gerbings heated gloves. I also have hippo hands which keep off the wind and the rain. I don't know what style they are but they velcro to your barkbusters and have a D loop band that wraps around the handlebar. Nothing fancy. They do make a big difference in the winter. I commute 365 days/year unless there's snow on the road and this works well. If I were to use only one of those options, it would be the heated gloves. But you need a heat controller to adjust the power and, if you don't want to go all in with that system, the hippo hands are a cheap investment.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Hippo's help keep things dry too.

Reactions: theayn

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,147 Posts
Handlebar muffs keep my hands reasonably warm in cold weather in normal gloves. I carry battery powered heated gloves as a backup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts