StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m debating buying some Klim Fusion gloves or buying Hippo Hands. I hate thick gloves (I would prefer to ride with the thinnest, tactile gloves), so I was thinking of getting Hippo Hands. I am currently wearing Revit Crater WP gloves and using Barkbuster Storms with Oxford heated grips on my DL650. Which is better? And if the answer is Hippo Hands-which style would you use? Located in NC, so most of my riding would be at freezing or warmer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use them ,much better than thick gloves.I do a lot of cold riding & they work every time.That said mine are the old style & I think they are a little different now.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Last year I switched from heated gloves (rechargeable battery-powered) to heated Koso Apollo grips with old-style Hippo Hands. Overall, I'm happy with the transition.

Both set-ups have their positives and negatives, I think it simply boils down to personal choice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the dual sport version of Hippo Hands for my 650 and they have worked very well. They are about 4 years old so the newer ones may be different. You need to have bark busters on your bike (or another brand). They are easy to put on and take off and store in your top box as necessary.

Mine got wet....really really really wet on a two month trip and started to get a bit floppy. I took some coat hanger wire and heavy thread and reshaped them. Fixed the issue.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hippo Hands are great. I went with the Alcan. With those and heated grips, I can get by with summer gloves below 30*.

I made them work with my mirror extender brackets and remote/wireless heated gear controller.

They’re not quite level in the picture below (I hadn’t adjusted them yet).

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool,
Hippo Hands are great. I went with the Alcan. With those and heated grips, I can get by with summer gloves below 30*.

I made them work with my mirror extender brackets and remote/wireless heated gear controller.

They’re not quite level in the picture below (I hadn’t adjusted them yet).
Cool, thanks for the pics! Good info-I was looking at the Rogue, but I also thought the Alcans might be too big; your photo makes them look fine. Idk if there is such a thing as your hands being too hot in the border seasons/winter, so maybe the most protection, would be the best protection? :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cool,

Cool, thanks for the pics! Good info-I was looking at the Rogue, but I also thought the Alcans might be too big; your photo makes them look fine. Idk if there is such a thing as your hands being too hot in the border seasons/winter, so maybe the most protection, would be the best protection? :)
The other nice thing about them is that they keep your hands and gloves dry. I run up the interstate rain or shine. It’s nice finishing a rainy ride with dry gloves.

They’re quick enough to install and remove that I’ll probably put them on for rainy rides this spring and summer (unless I get around to buying a pair of legit warm weather waterproof gloves).

The Alcans are fine on larger “Adventure“ motorcycles. At the end of the day...all of these grip muffs/covers look weird (my two cents), so I don’t think that one or another is necessarily going to look “better.”

People complain about the cost of Grip Hippo’s, but I think they’re worth it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For my commute (20-30 mins or less) I prefer to use thinner gloves with heated grips and a hippo-hands-type mitt. Anything longer than that it seems like the cold eventually gets me.

I recently bought the OBR Adv Gear mitts and the Powermadd 34258 Gauntlets to try on my DR650.

The OBR ones don’t provide as much coverage, but are easy on and off. The Powermadd ones are quite a bit bigger and better coverage. They would need a careful hole in then to reinstall the mirrors. I know the barkbuster storms are a larger size handguard so these might be a good option. They are decently priced too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dainese Corbin D-Dry with OEM handguards and Oxford grips, plus a Tourmaster Synergy battery vest under an Andes 2 jacket. I'm good to 20º.

Below 50, a winter glove is kinda needed considering wind chill. Klim makes a lovely windstopper glove that, with guards, keeps the hands fairly chill free. I prefer the Corbin as it is lightly insulated, waterproof, and fits well. Below 40, you must guard the wind and add heat; a glove won't cut it alone. Grips or heat packs in the glove or a heated glove of some flavor is required. Otherwise windchill removes heat faster than your body can replace it and that can lead to all manner of fun circulatory issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
One plus on the Hippo Hands is a broken wire/switch/controller will not cause them to fail. I use them or Hotwired gloves (which are also great) but depending on the ride I prefer not to plug in, power up etc.

KFH000

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I bought some Kolpin ATV mits (they even had some internal plastic rigid support) in an attempt to forgo electric grips. I had to modify them a little to clear the mirrors and such, and when I went on my test ride, everything was great until I exceeded about 30mph! The wind pressure drove the Mitts into the brake and clutch levers, which really made it difficult to get my fingers around the brake! Not good. I subsequently removed them and chalked it up to a mistake.

Now, I have the typical Vstrom plastic hand guards, and use Aerostich's discontinued grip wraps - essentially they are a thin wrap which velcro's onto each grip and functions as an electric grip. They're great - for they allow me to still use my favorite rubber grips, but for those cold days, I can wrap the grips and have warm hands. Oxford makes a similar version as well.....Electric Grip Wraps

·
Registered
365 Posts
I’m debating buying some Klim Fusion gloves or buying Hippo Hands. I hate thick gloves (I would prefer to ride with the thinnest, tactile gloves), so I was thinking of getting Hippo Hands. I am currently wearing Revit Crater WP gloves and using Barkbuster Storms with Oxford heated grips on my DL650. Which is better? And if the answer is Hippo Hands-which style would you use? Located in NC, so most of my riding would be at freezing or warmer.
If You hate thick gloves then You have answered Your own question. Hippo hands or the equivalent for me and if it gets really cold I can still use the thick gloves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have electric grip wraps under Grip Puppies, stock Suzuki hand guards, and wear Rev'It phase-change gauntlets when riding my Glee in low double-digit temperatures. My biggest problem is that the clutch and brake levers are still like icicles on my fingertips as I commute to work in traffic. I even coated the levers in Plasti-Dip to "insulate" them, but the improvement was marginal. Have been thinking of adding Hippo Hands or the Koplin equivalent.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
By the time you buy Hippo Hands, winter gloves, grip wraps, etc. you've spent more than a pair of heated gloves!

You're riding a generator, take advantage of it. First time you ride with heated gear you'll be kicking your self for waiting so long. I know I did.

·
Registered
435 Posts
By the time you buy Hippo Hands, winter gloves, grip wraps, etc. you've spent more than a pair of heated gloves!

You're riding a generator, take advantage of it. First time you ride with heated gear you'll be kicking your self for waiting so long. I know I did.
I have $60 in Bikemaster heated grips and Kolpin mitts. Three years so far. Much less expensive than gloves and my hands are toasty, levers don't get freezing cold either. I can wear light summer gloves and still easily work my Smartphone (GPS). Keep my hands dry in rain. If it's warmer I can turn off the grips. The mitts also add protection in the event the heated grips fail with the windbreak they provide. They look dorky, but I certainly don't care. The setup just plain works, very well!

I do agree with heated gear. My heated jacket liner is a real game changer! Disclaimer: Never rode with heated gloves. Haven't felt the need to. But, as with all things, to each their own.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the Hippo Hands Alcans. I just got a chance to ride em around for some errands, and I don’t know if they are THAT warm, or if it’s a combo of them and wind not going up my sleeves, but WOW. 40 degrees and I forgot to turn on the grip Heaterz. I think this is gonna be a great fix. Thanks for the comments y’all!
    F6039E61-BC51-4C77-824E-725E6D35AD05.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I used a cheap pair of ATV mitts(W/ some mods) for 7 years. They got quite ragged, so I designed and my wife sewed a new set. Used them for 2 winters now. Both worked great, but the new ones fit better and hand insertion is easier.
I do a lot of days that run between 30-36 F for as much as 150 mi and never have a problem with cold hands. Coldest was a 50 mi. out at 10-15 F and the return at 15-20F. I use a Sedici electric jacket also.
Above 40 F the heated grips need to be turned off as it gets to warm inside the mitts. Winter riding has become a pleasure because of the mitts.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I knew this was going to be said. Will post one soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts