StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my air filter, among other things, and pulled the tank off the Vee (K2). It seems to me that hinging the tank has little value, so why did they do it? Maybe I am missing something?:confused:

Is there a list of maintenance items you can do with the tank down, hinged up and on the stand (I don't see any value to that feature yet), and fully removed?

I don't mind removing the tank, frankly, it wouldn't be hard except that you have to remove practically the whole cowling system it seems.

Please enlighten me! I would like to not remove more than I have to and know when I definitely need to, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Two things that come to mind quickly are the TPS adjustment and Syncing the throttles, but I expect there are more.
Also, you don't have to remove as much as the manual calls for. Some panels can be loosened and spread, or otherwise repositioned.

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Several motorcycles have hinged tanks. Some tilt up much more easily.
Just a design feature. I found tank removal a rather simple task, hinge bolt and all.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Being able to lift the tank but still have it secured to the bike when you start the motor is very handy.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
After youve gone through the removal steps a couple times it wouldnt be an issue, maybe even relize the advantages.

·
Administrator
17,390 Posts
I use the hinge feature quite often, so call me one who sees the merits of such.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed...nice to be able to prop it up to disconnect the fuel lines prior to lift off. Also, I concur that if you loosen up the panels, you can sort of squeeze them out of the way to raise the tank up prior to removing it.

TPS adjustment? Really? With the air box in place, all the electrical lines and other lines running on the left side, propping up the tank (for me) doesn't help me reach the TPS from the top of the engine. But I can see the TPS from underneath and through the frame on the left side. When the tank is down, does it block that side access (didn't notice this prior to removing it)???

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TBS with only tank propped?

With the air box out, you put the tank back on (so you can run the engine) and then do the TBS.....right? You can reach up to the front to the adjustment screw okay? I guess its a little bit of a feel but not see it directly game?

Any hot parts to watch out for in that operation?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's not as useful as it could be. On other bikes I've seen you can lift the tank up considerably on the hinge and prop it, leaving enough room underneath to access the airbox, intakes, etc, without removing the tank. On the Vee it really only seem to be useful to provide a little room while you connect or disconnect things under the tank.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
It's not as useful as it could be. On other bikes I've seen you can lift the tank up considerably on the hinge and prop it, leaving enough room underneath to access the airbox, intakes, etc, without removing the tank. .
That is the case with the 2005 R6 Yamaha.

I have the air filter out of one right now, the tank tilts from the front to the back with easy access to all fuel lines, plugs and the air filter cover screws, after removing the seat's 2 bolts there is only 2 bolts to tilt the tank :hurray:

·
Registered
583 Posts
With the air box out, you put the tank back on (so you can run the engine) and then do the TBS.....right? You can reach up to the front to the adjustment screw okay? I guess its a little bit of a feel but not see it directly game?
I was puzzled with your post until I noticed you have a Vee. My experience is with a 2004 650cc. I don't have to remove the tank to do any normal maintenance except the air filter and valve check/adjustment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not as useful as it could be. On other bikes I've seen you can lift the tank up considerably on the hinge and prop it, leaving enough room underneath to access the airbox, intakes, etc, without removing the tank. On the Vee it really only seem to be useful to provide a little room while you connect or disconnect things under the tank.
That's my point I guess. Just one of those quirks of the bike. On some sport bikes you can use a stick about two feet long to prop the tank up and replace air filters, look down the throttle bodies etc, all with the tank hinged. Not sure if you can run the bike like that (on a Vee, the fuel will flow away from the pump, so the hinge would have to be put on the rear end of the tank....).

Removal of the tank is actually pretty easy if you loosen up the side fairings, but with engine guards it gets a little tight.

Definitely easier then my Stratoliner for sure!!! No hinge, a lot of of three handed operations and the tank is all decorative so hard to grab it, hard to put it down, hard to get to the fittings, etc. Disconnecting a Vee tank is remarkably easy with the little prop tool.

I think that long screw on the hinge is funny.....is it supposed to be a flat head screw up there? Maybe mine was replaced by PO with the wrong part. You would think a nice bolt or even threaded rod with two nuts would work nice there, two acorn lock nuts would have looked good too.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You would think a nice bolt or even threaded rod with two nuts would work nice there, two acorn lock nuts would have looked good too.
I have done just that to my 09 Wee because that is where I have mounted the fixing point for my Scotts steering damper, I put it there to test the damper and ensure I was going to be happy with it and I have not bothered to change it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts