StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've seen pics of this on a few bikes. No clue where to find more info. Tried the forum search thingie and Google with no joy...

Some kind of hinged setup that moves the license plate up and over the keyhole for the seat, leaving plenty of rear fender to cut off. Cleans the whole arse up a bit...

Anybody have more info on a "how to" article/post and/or a kit to make it happen?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Framed!

not sure that's legal without a white light on the plate.
Take another look, Mercenary. He has an illuminated frame that puts plenty of light on the plate. One of the photos shows the plate illuminated.

You are correct that many jurisdictions have regulations that specify a white light on the plate. It is the same in Florida, but I see plenty of trailers here that have no provision for a light. Come to think of it, most such trailers are hauling lawn maintenance machinery, and those do not move around a lot in the dark. I can certainly imagine Florida's LEOs realizing that they have better things to do than harass lawn cutters for lack of a bulb that never would get turned on!

Keith

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is my rear license plate after I "bobbed" my rear fender.

I made my license plate a flip down plate with a galvanized spring loaded screen door hinge. The top two holes are what I used to fasten the plate with a pair of nylon spacers to get the back of the plate out past the hinge knuckle.

This is what it looks like in operation (don't flame me about the license plate number):

View My Video

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that looks like what I'm after....:D

If I can only find the hinge, I'll be good to go...:rolleyes:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good question, thousands see it in the course of your commuting and traveling lifetime. I guess to keep people from photo shopping it into "scene of the crime" Vstrom getaways on Utube?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Now that looks like what I'm after....:D

If I can only find the hinge, I'll be good to go...:rolleyes:
I got the hinge at Lowes. Make sure you get the galvanize or anodized version of it. Cost about $5 and the nylon spacers were $1 apiece. I got the license plate "lighted" bolt at Auto Zone for $6.

I just used the existing license plate light wiring and soldered the wires and of course they are covered by shrink wrap.

Another benefit to doing it this way is that the plate helps protect the seat lock from road grime. Since I did this I hot glued a small piece of closed cell foam to the back of the plate. It serves two purposes, first it seals the lock from road spray and second, I was getting some harmonic vibration from the plate hitting the back of the fender, this stopped it.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I guess to keep people from photo shopping it into "scene of the crime" Vstrom getaways on Utube?
That can be done, but it is a time consuming process to make it happen. Youtube hosts videos. To composite a still image of a license plate, (that belongs to someone else), over an actual video of a "moving" license plate is a very difficult thing to do. Tracking points would need to be set and "pinned" into place. Lighting and shadows, as well as perspective of the plate would need to be worked out. Not an easy task to do quickly.

A viewer would know instantly that it was a fake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts