StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on highway riding. How does the 2014 V-Strom 1000 get along at cruising speeds between 70 - 90 mph? This question assumes the buffeting has been sorted out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but highway speed seems to be pretty smooth. At 70 mph in sixth gear though its hard to tell that the engine is still running. She comes back to life around 80 mph or so. This is my first 1000cc bike also my first adventure bike so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not ridden at a sustained 90mph but it does 80 with no problem and there is still plenty of passing power. It goes from 80 to 110 in no time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe you are asking about the wind buffeting that the previous gen vstroms had. I used to have an 07 DL1K and the wind would sweep around the tank and run right up my torso into my helmet and shake it back n forth. I could put my arm across my chest and block the wind to stop the buffeting.

On the V2 I don't get any of that buffeting. The stock shield depending on its position does a fairly good job at controlling the wind blast, but it is rather noisy (think wind noise).

The bike handles great on the open highway at those speeds. It's planted passing big trucks and it has no issues with the crosswind blowing you around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe you are asking about the wind buffeting that the previous gen vstroms had. I used to have an 07 DL1K and the wind would sweep around the tank and run right up my torso into my helmet and shake it back n forth. I could put my arm across my chest and block the wind to stop the buffeting.

On the V2 I don't get any of that buffeting. The stock shield depending on its position does a fairly good job at controlling the wind blast, but it is rather noisy (think wind noise).

The bike handles great on the open highway at those speeds. It's planted passing big trucks and it has no issues with the crosswind blowing you around.
I am not so concerned about the buffeting as it seems there are workable solutions. I am more interested in know how the bike performs at highway cruising speeds, about 70-90 mph. Some bikes are at home in this range. Other bikes, while quite capable of cruising in this range, are just not that suited. I am wondering where the Strom rates.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I am not so concerned about the buffeting as it seems there are workable solutions. I am more interested in know how the bike performs at highway cruising speeds, about 70-90 mph. Some bikes are at home in this range. Other bikes, while quite capable of cruising in this range, are just not that suited. I am wondering where the Strom rates.
The Gen 2 650 is at home at those highways speeds, the 1000 is probably a non issue.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
The buffeting inherent to the design, plus any crosswinds, plus semi-truck turbulence, all at freeway speeds, really puts the adventure into my adventure cycle. That's how I roll.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.