StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some feedback on the RPM range, vibration, and comfort when riding the 650 at highway speeds 70-80, long range. Wondering about riding from Seattle to San Diego. Not enough bike?

Also some feedback on riding two up with some gear. It think this would be pusing it a little bit with a 650 but I am wondering.

I can only afford one bike so I need to choose wisely. Need to run around town, a few trip a year <1000 Miles round trip. Maybe one a years over 2000 miles round trip.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I weigh 165 +gear... I have no trouble or vibration at the speeds you mentioned... I would cross the country by myself or two up on my Wee... Maybe if you were 2 really big people and/or a lot of gear the 1000 might be a better choice... I always take backroads where ever I go (if I can)... high speed riding means nothing to me anymore... I like the trip, not the destination or how fast I can get there...:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I have almost 73,000 miles on mine including many trips out west at a real 75mph, 82mph indicated, which happens at 6000rpm. My bike really likes rpms over 5000. The engine just starts to come alive about there. An electronic cruise control and big grips are my friends as well as a large screen and Sargent seat. I have no complaints with them installed

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had the Wee a couple months and nearly all of my previous 40 years of riding has been dirt bikes and dualsports. The thing that surprised me about the Wee is the annoying wind buffeting. If I was to choose a bike for 70-80 mph cruising, I would try some other ones to find something with better wind management. The ergonomics on the Wee are a little weird for me too, but I suppose that is true for any bike/rider combination.

I would think for touring 2-up there are better choices.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've made a few freeway trips and commute via highway everyday. I would say my bikes average speed is some where between 65-75 mph and I have no complaints. No vibration and the wind doesn't really bother me much.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The thing that surprised me about the Wee is the annoying wind buffeting. If I was to choose a bike for 70-80 mph cruising, I would try some other ones to find something with better wind management.
That's a common issue. It doesn't take a bike change to solve though. A Madstad windscreen mount and maybe a different windscreen handles the job easily. There are so many solutions, the thread on the subject has 84 pages. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/40635-buffeting-wind-thread-only-one.html

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Some like the 16 tooth front sprocket for high speed travel. The chain has enough adjustment so you don't need to change the chain length. It's only about $20 for a decent one--try it and see if you like it. It's easy to switch back to the 15 tooth sprocket for your around town months.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I prefer the 16 tooth as most of my riding is on the HWY. It will shave about 500 rpms off at HWY speeds. I don't mind it around town either, still has plenty of get up. I 2nd the Sargent seat and Givi screen/madstad combo.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The price of going up one tooth on the front sprocket is reduced torque. If you're running fully loaded, that might not be an acceptable give back. It wasn't for me. I prefer the stock gearing. If you're worried about the 650 not being enough bike for LD travel, keep the stock countersprocket.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Interstates are not my favorite on the Wee, but I don't do that enough to warrant the expense of going to something bigger. Everywhere else, ,it's just right for my one up 220lbs. I have the 16 tooth cog, and it does lower the rpms by 500. But, that puts I-state cruising at 5500 which is right in the peak of the slight vibration. I will be going back to the 15 tooth and just get used to the higher rpms. It might not be perfect, but I would go anywhere on the Wee one up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah.... if you're a really big guy and travel fully loaded or travel 2-up and loaded frequently... the 16 tooth might not fit the bill. I'm neither of those so it's perfect for me. And what's this vibration at 5500 thing about??? Not on my bike.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
... And what's this vibration at 5500 thing about??? Not on my bike.
I suspect the Givi bars, but too lazy to pull them off to confirm. Was much worse with the amoto skid plate. If bored and flush, I might give the altriders a try.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got the Amoto skid plate with the SW-Motech crash bars and don't feel any vibration at 5500 so maybe it's the Givi bars,

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
I don't feel the DL650 has any issues at higher speeds. It doesn't have a surplus of power but also doesn't feel (to me) that it's lacking.

Two experiences come to mind:

Taking a hurt Stromtrooper back from Ohio to his home east of Toronto a few years back. I weighed around 250 lbs at the time, he was probably 220 lbs or so, I had my top case and side cases loaded up. We rode 800km/500 miles at constant real speeds of 120 to 140 kph (75 to 85 mph.) His bike was a DL1000 and he was quite surprised at how well my bike performed.

I also did a 10,300 km (6,500 mile) ride in the first part of September this year. It was a solo ride but I had my topcase full and a large bag on the back seat which held sleeping bags, sleeping pad and three-man tent, The last three days I had some get-home-itis and did over 3,200 km/2,000 miles starting in mid Utah and ending north east of Toronto Ontario. Speeds out west were typically 75 to 90 mph (real speed as my speedo dial has the corrected faceplate and the indicated speed matches my gps.)

Other than some oil consumption, which is not unusual on high mileage bikes at high speeds, the bike ran beautifully!

A far as buffeting goes, I used my stock windshield along with the Madstad bracket. I didn't have any issues with buffeting. In colder weather I put on my Givi shield and that is a bit quieter but either works just fine for me.

..Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Madstad and Givi screen took most of buffeting away (I'm 6') - bar-end mirrors solved the rest (and they are in a great position = no blind spots at all).

16T counter-sprocket, >20lbs of farkles, 230lbs of me, 80lbs of gear (total payload at least 330lbs) and it cruises just fine up through 80MPH true GPS (have even cruised out in the boondocks at 90 without issues loaded this way).

No initial acceleration/torque issues either - a bit slower to pass without a downshift, but usually do one. The 16T comes into its own at higher speeds/mid-RPMs.

Rox Risers/stock bars - no vibrations at all (double Grip Puppies may be a factor there too!).

However, if I went 2up - she's gotta be on the petite side (or I need to lose some/a lot of my own "payload"). :mrgreen:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

A far as buffeting goes, I used my stock windshield along with the Madstad bracket. I didn't have any issues with buffeting. In colder weather I put on my Givi shield and that is a bit quieter but either works just fine for me.

..Tom
I have th Givi shield and Madstad, and some buffeting came back above 70mph after I installed my Elka shock run out the full 10 or 15mm. This and part of my interstate discomfort might be due to my being 6'4". I am sure less gravitationally challenged and vertically enhanced riders would have a very different experience at speed. I should reiterate, though, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Wee anywhere on any well-surfaced road.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Putting Aprilla Tuono mirrors on made a world of difference for me. I still had some turbulence around my helmet at higher speeds with the Givi/madstad. It's just about completely non existent now. I guess if I wanted it to be completely gone I'd add some mirror extenders, but it's good enough for me. Cheap too..... I think they were $20 a piece at the somewhat local dealer.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
75mph, 82mph indicated, which happens at 6000rpm. My bike really likes rpms over 5000. The engine just starts to come alive about there.
i did that the other day on my Vee. criused along 75 - 85 mph @ 5 - 6k rpm's. of course, i couldnt get any higher than 4th. gear on the Vee. but still, she ran just fine, very smooth with much HP. and the 2bro's sounded great. only took a few miles to get used to the extra rpm's. ended up riding 4th gear about 120miles.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a ~120 mile/day commute, 3 days/week, mostly Interstate. My previous motorcycle was miserable on that ride, which is much of why I sold it. Like you OP, I can have just one bike. I picked the DL650. Couldn't be happier.

I have started doing back-roads home in the PM, mostly to avoid the INSANE 'slab drivers around here. And to get the lead out, so to speak. :mrgreen:

But I still do ~60 miles at 75-85 indicated every morning I ride into work. The wee is pretty darn good for me in those conditions. Smooth and solid at speed. It's 'just' a 650, so don't expect liter bike performance.

Quite frankly I don't miss it. (My last was a 1200.)

What is noteworthy is that it is equally solid around town. Our roads are shit and the wee is a hoot zipping through construction zones and dodging pot holes. Someone told me the 19" front would be better for our roads than a regular 17-er on a normal street bike. I think that assessment was correct.

I recently got a compliment from a sport-bike rider on a group ride. The wee isn't 'slow'.

I have the stock seat, stock screen (on the highest setting), stock gearing, stock just about everything. The only thing I've done so far is grip puppies to fatten up the grips and with fall setting in I have installed Suzuki OE grip guards. The guards are to cut wind and keep the paws a little warmer; I don't off-road much. I will probably take the guards off for summer.

I bought the wee because of the reports of the engine being smooth. (I actually wanted an SV650, before I knew what a V-Strom was.) So far I mostly agree: it is smooth at speed. As mentioned, ~80 MPH real is about 6000 RPM. At those revs there are some vibes, but they are very minor.

I was after a Versys, until I heard the inline twin suffers from some vibes at those RPMs.

The grips have helped as I don't clamp the bars as much with my hands. I also installed a fork brace, which I believe cut the vibes substantially.

I love my wee. Fantastic fun, especially for the money.

Another point is the fuel economy and range. You'll do your long hauls with fewer stops. I can easily get 300 miles to a tank. For me that's two days of commuting, plus a little. Most of the guys I ride with have to fill up at least twice as often.

No comments on 2-up. I'm a solo only rider these days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
(wind buffeting)

That's a common issue. It doesn't take a bike change to solve though. ....

The OP is asking if he should GET a Wee, not get rid of one. He specifically asked about long range, high speed, and 2-up. At least half the above posts talk about "almost no buffeting", "greatly improved", etc. I do most of my riding at lower speeds and try to stay off the freeway, so the Wee works for me. I will stick by my suggestion that the OP consider test riding other bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts