StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make ones that will fit on the older style SW Motech engine guards without a skid plate?

I have never had these before because of the increased danger of a high side, but my legs won't handle long trips on the Strom.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dan Vessel is what I have. They look a little untilitarian, but they are positioned well and work as designed.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
made my own
Just my opinion but those look to me as if they would cause your bike to highside if you were to go down in a lowside accident. That was one of the major attractions to me when I bought my highway bars from Narcosis Junky here on Stromtrooper. On his, the foot part is a fold up design and they are designed to fold close to the bike. The only problem that I could see with his is that they are designed for use with his skid plate. Good thing that I have one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
no they dont slide around, i tighten them w/ a socket so far so good. As far as a high side goes,?????? Least of my worries

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a set on order from Dan Vesel.
I have Dan Vesel's new hiway pegs for the 2012 suzuki oem engine guard. Positioning is good as is the workmanship. I found that I was getting a bit of vibration on pegs so remounted them with some pieces of rolled up inner tube inbetween the bar and the cross piece on the engine guard. Vibration gone! It wasn't that bad anyway but I figured why not try to eliminate the vibration. The inner tube piece was about 3" long and 1" wide before I rolled it up. I suppose you could roll a longer piece up for more dampening effect but that seemed to do the trick. I find Dan's parts to be very rugged and well made, and very reasonably priced. Very courteous to deal with as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
They're in a different spot now (higher up) but were cheap to make and work great. And in the event of a crash, I think they'll probably just rotate around the bar and not get in the way (hopefully)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Dan Vesel ones mounted and I like them. Warning to those about to install them! I removed both bolts from the rear of the v-shaped frame member to mount them, but the frame shifted slightly and I couldn't get the rear bolt lined up with the bars in place. I had to put a jack under the motor to line everything up again. (Well, my friendly bike shop did because I didn't think of it.) I think it might be possible to swap out one highway peg bolt while leaving the other frame bolt in place, then swapping the other. Either that or put a jack under it before removing any bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts