StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out a practical and cosmetically acceptable highway peg set up that will work with SW Motech crash bars and Skid plate? I've seen the recommended peg set up on Twisted Throttle website, but it seems a bit too high to be practical. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
These highway pegs are my favorites and I'll be adding these someday. Right now I'm otta cash...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hiway pegs

I have Givi bars and an SWmotech skid plate. I use Happy Trails hiway pegs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone figured out a practical and cosmetically acceptable highway peg set up that will work with SW Motech crash bars and Skid plate? I've seen the recommended peg set up on Twisted Throttle website, but it seems a bit too high to be practical. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You might also want to consider highway pegs from Dan Vesel My V-Strom Accessories and Motorcycle Memories
They will work with the old style SW Motech crash bars and attach directly to the frame for a solid fit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On the Vee, you can mount the Happy Trails across the bottom bar where the bars connect with two U-bolts. There's some picks on the 1000 specific forum, they look to be in a good riding position. Not sure about the 650 though.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Use the passenger pegs as an alternative footrest. Save your money for gas.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also use the Happy Trail Hwy pegs. I like them. I don't use them a lot, but when I want them, I'm glad they're there.

Here's a pic. Not the best to showcase the pegs, but I think you can see them with the SW Motech plate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I also use the Happy Trail Hwy pegs. I like them. I don't use them a lot, but when I want them, I'm glad they're there.

Here's a pic. Not the best to showcase the pegs, but I think you can see them with the SW Motech plate.

I have the Happy Trail pegs mounted to a SW Motech plate, as shown in the preceding pics. There are inherent problems with the setup, and the main one is that skid plate flexes so much at its contact points due to the anti vibration set up. When you add the leverage of the crossbar, you can really flex the plate quite a bit, and it makes getting truly comfortable a problem.

Also, the bar isn't quite long enough to allow your boots sufficient room because of the crash bar width. It allows me to rest my legs but not for long. I plan on modifying it over fall break.

(Great looking bike, btw)

·
Registered
532 Posts
the pictures are my pat walsh pegs on my narcosis skid plate, I drilled the end of my peg mount and inserted a small bolt in the end to make them sit level, no rattles are present if I do the bolts up tight and use loctite plus I used a nylon washer in between the pegs and plate.

My calves sit at 90 degrees to my thighs with this peg position, it works for me as its not large movement to put my feet back to change gear or brake.

hope this helps your decision

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you have a picture from the front, mounting of the JCW pegs to the crashbars ? I am working the same issue. Are they forward enough for you to be comfortable.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have the Enduro Guardian (Narcosis Junky's) skid plate and highway bars. I really like this setup. He has made the solid bar of the highway bars narrower so if I go down it won't touch down as a hard part. The pegs are very long due to the short solid bar. No problem with getting my boots on them due to their length. I highly recommend his highway bars.

I think you could adapt his highway bar to most skid plates by drilling holes for the mounting bar although I decided to use his skid plate. I bought his mild steel skid plate and have no regrets about this purchase.

·
Registered
37 Posts
These highway pegs are my favorites and I'll be adding these someday. Right now I'm otta cash...

I recently used these attached to my SWM skid plate. This past week I did two separate days where I rode 12-14 hours a day at about 800 miles a day. They worked incredible and prevented my bad knee from locking up as it usually does when I keep it in one position for more than 25 minutes at a time.

They easily fold up and down while riding with my feet and they dont look like they were put together with scrap metal from the garbage.

I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yep, this is the same I have. I really like mine but as I have already said, I have his skidplate too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Enduro Guardian (Narcosis Junky's) skid plate and highway bars. I really like this setup. He has made the solid bar of the highway bars narrower so if I go down it won't touch down as a hard part. The pegs are very long due to the short solid bar. No problem with getting my boots on them due to their length. I highly recommend his highway bars.

I think you could adapt his highway bar to most skid plates by drilling holes for the mounting bar although I decided to use his skid plate. I bought his mild steel skid plate and have no regrets about this purchase.
I have the same set up and I like it a lot. I use mine all the time. They are wide enough so that you are comfortable using them but are not too wide.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts