StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have highway pegs on their wee? on a long trip i found that dangling my legs was not what my muscles were looking for . . . wanted to "stretch out" and take the weight off my feet for a bit.

thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have Rivco pegs mounted on Motech crash bars. They work very well. I need to put an extension on them to drop them about 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just installed pegs on my GIVI pegs and lost one on my first ride :cursing:. I guess I forgot to put blue locktight on it. Anyway, the angle was a little weird for me, but it may just need time for me to figure out the proper position.

For those that have mounted on GIVI bars, where are you mounting them?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just installed pegs on my GIVI bars and lost one on my first ride :cursing:. I guess I forgot to put blue locktight on it. Anyway, the angle was a little weird for me, but it may just need time for me to figure out the proper position.

For those that have mounted on GIVI bars, where are you mounting them?

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
I have pegs mounted on the Pat Walsh crash bar/skidplate setup. Love 'em. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Actually they do make the Dan Vesel highway pegs for the SW motech crash bars on the 650, not just for the 1000 as the ad says, I have them and like em.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scoops,

I just bought a Wee that has the Dan Vessel hiway pegs on it. Not my style for adventure riding so I am looking to take them off and sell 'em. PM if you're interested. Haven't posted them for sale anywhere yet since I just bought the Wee a week ago. What an awesome bike, btw!

Peace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
second on the Pat Walsh

I have pegs mounted on the Pat Walsh crash bar/skidplate setup. Love 'em. :)
I am coming from riding a cruiser and wanted something similar for longer rides - I too have the pat walsh with pegs - I bought a bunch of 1" ID o-rings and cushioned the aluminum pegs with those - they're working great. highly recommend them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the Dan Vesel highway pegs on my 650. They provide a reasonable amount of stretch for stiff legs, help to "unkink" the knees now and then. Good product.

Of course, they were totaled (along with my bike) after my nasty lowside crash this year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
use the passenger pegs for a change up of position.....part of the stroms appeal is the rider position which enables you to keep the weight low and on the pegs for body support vrs. weight [and road shock] all on your rear end and spine

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
use the passenger pegs for a change up of position.....
Sounds nice, but my knees get cramped up enough just trying to reach the stock forward pegs, let alone having to lean forward enough to be able to get my feet to the passenger pegs.

Would be a good change-up for my back, but not my knees.

I've got an Amoto skidplate coming up soon, so I'll probably be adding the HT pegs (HT Pegs) to that. Should give me enough stretch.

·
Registered
399 Posts
So I saw a picture of the Happy Trails Highway Pegs and thought to myself.

"You want how much for that?" I ordered some basic footpegs online for $10 and manufactured a cross bar out of 1"x1"x.125" (wall) 304 SS Square tubing. I mounted them on my Adventure Motostuff Bash Plate to try them out. I couldn't find a position in any of the holes that felt comfortable on my legs. So this morning armed with my trusty protractor and a zip cut blade I set about making them more effective for me.

Here's the results.

The finish is still a bit rough, I wanted to ride with them a bit before finishing off grinding the welds flat.

Still, this new position brings them up and back enough to make it a very comfortable riding position.

Total cost: $28 worth of square tube, $10 for the foot pegs about two hours to lay it all out and weld it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This a little more than what I was thinking. See the last angle cut piece that's welded to the peg mount? Angle that piece the other direction to match the side of the skidplate, to act as a spacer to orient the peg to the proper level, drill a hole there in the skidplate and bolt the assembly to the skidplate. Get rid of all that center piece below the skidplate.

You're not actually standing or putting a lot of weight on the pegs when your feet are in that position, so as heavy duty as the skidplate is, it should handle it just fine.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I could do that but that skid pan is only Aluminum. A metal prone to stress cracking. Plus in order to make the pegs functional, you need a fair amount of stand off from the sides of the Skid pan, which would increase the stress on the sides of the pan leading to warping. I did look at a cross braced version of this but there's too much stuff in the way to make it feasible.

I found the HT design wasn't comfortable in any of the hole positions on the pan and I was worried about decreasing the distance between the Skid pan and the back of the front fender under hard braking. Which is why I moved the cross brace to the front underside of the pan.

I'm not about to take on any logs or big rocks with my bike in its current configuration. I only hit the odd logging road or fire trail, so I'm not worried about hanging up on the bar. If I were, the simple addition of an additional slider would take care of it.

I've worked with Stainless for over 20 years and I'm comfortable with the metal's properties. It took a few days of trying out different positions and a couple of hours to knock this final configuration together. As it's .125" wall on the square tubing, you'd be hard pressed to bend it (no matter what you run up against).

It works for me and as I'm the guy riding the bike, that's pretty much all I'm concerned about.

There are a million ways to solve any problem, this just happens to be mine. I'm always willing to look at a better idea (well consider it at least ;))

·
Registered
1 Posts
dt2.0 I know its 10 years ago but if you still have Dan Vessel's highway pegs I'll buy them.
Jay Silver I can't post my email cause I don't have 10 posts, so kinda lost
let me know
thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very Functional pegs!

Attached find picture of my highway pegs on the 2011. my original pegs were store bought on a straight square tubing bar, but would drag on turns. Got with the neighbor and we made a very convenient design. The beauty of farkling your bike to fit you- the beauty of the VStrom. I have like 35 separate improvements in my 70 K miles. Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts