StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just and update. Yes, I am actively working this.

The design addresses the concerns noted earlier by members.

The pegs will hinge closer to the bike so the pegs don't get damaged during dirt naps. The pegs can fold up straight or fold back at an angle further enhancing dirt nap damage resistance.

The pegs will be round and with ribbed rubber cushions. This allows mounting at any angle on the front of the skid pan. They will also be twice as long as normal so they can both be closer to the middle of bike when up and extend far enough out when deployed.

I expect to have two versions. One for long and one for shorter legs.

Cost will be a little more than the cheapest out there with the problems discussed above, but less than comparable units in the past.

Expected availability depends on a lot of factors, but maybe - four to six weeks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Rick, Will you announce when the pegs are ready here, or should I watch for them to show up on the Adventure Tech site?

KKORO

·
Vendor
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, after only 2 and 1/2 years I think I have a highway peg solution for those of us short of leg. Or anyone who thinks the stretch to the front of the skid plate is too far for highway pegs. And it is so stinking simple I'm fairly confident anyone with basic shop skills could make it themselves. I'll try to post a picture of my card board mock up later tonight.

They key points that needed to be addressed are a 1) a good firm mount without too much vibration being transferred to the pegs and 2) a foot position outboard enough to allow the knees to clear crash bars.

#1 just requires stiffening up the skid pan with a cross bar. #2 simply requires extended foot pegs.

I kinda gauge these little projects by would I want to use this myself. For me the answer is absolutely. Not sure about everyone else. Photo coming tonight.

·
Vendor
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When someone like me with a 30" or so inseam lets their feet go to a natural forward position they fall where the foot peg is in the picture below. It folded back in the picture, but if out that is where it would need to be. Attaching foot pegs to the skidpan alone will not work because most skid pans are not stiff enough at that location. Most use thinner materials on the sides and there is way to much flex to mount foot pegs.

However, that is where the pegs need to go. Fortunetly there is enough room between the pipe and all that stuff Suzuki puts on the front of the engine to run a bar from one side to the other. This significantly stiffens the needed mounting point. Enough that it will work.

The card board mock up is for a new pan I'm designing, but that isn't the point right now.

However, the sides of the skid pans are to far inboard. Regular foot pegs mounted to the sides of the skid pan would cause the knees to hit the crash bars. So either the pegs need to be spaced out - or - we need longer foot pegs. The one in the photo above is standard length (~3"). Two more inches are needed.

Fortunately they exist. Five inch extended foot pegs are available and not expensive, but the require a machined mount similar to the pegs on our bikes now.

I prefer this type. Not fancy and still too short, but the rubber cushion also sewrves as a spring that allows the peg to be kept either deployed or folded. They are also inexpensive at as low as $9 a pair. I have contacted a company that makes them and they can easily make them any length requested as long as someone wants to buy enough of the them (like a thousand).

With the right rubber cushions and a little work someone could also make their own custom length pegs

Ill post more in the next couple of days.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,260 Posts
Rick, just a thought and nothing more, you could cnc the footpeg, machining grooves in it to accept o-rings to help with vibration and traction. The problem with the cheap footpegs, and I have tried some over the years on highway bar fabrication, is that they are weak and bend and all have rusted soon. Obviously aluminum ones wouldn't, but I never bought any. Doing them yourself would allow you to design the crossbar/mount to fit the bike best, then make the footpeg work for comfort and function.

Not my thing, but I had MANY inquiries about making a set of the bars like I fabbed up on my 2012 Glee. There IS a market. Footpegs make all the difference in how these work. I have some that have an allen screw that allows adjustment on the angle they open too. Keeps your feet from sliding off them.

Just some random thoughts.......

·
Vendor
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Terry,

I thought about that as a looked at the bazillion foot pegs out there. I'm going to fab up some and try them for a while to see what adjustments are needed. Clearly the deign I'm talking about requires a robust skid pan which is what I was working on when this idea hit me. I just think it is a shame that we can't find U.S. built skid pans that do what people want. I have found a fabricator in Charlotte that promises me they can pump out anything I design at a cost that will make people smile. I like that.

So I'm going to make sure pans can support foot/highway pegs.

Meanwhile DIY types might be able to do this themselves. Even the 4 mm thick SW Motech skid pans could support this and if anyone wants to try I'll lend a hand (gratis).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts