StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jury rigged some highway pegs for a Virginia trip that served their temporary purpose, now its time to do it correctly. I cut a 1/2 piece of iron bar, welded in a set of Kuryakin peg mounts. Welded two mounting bolt plates and will be using OEM takeoff footpegs, I replaced mine with Goldwing pegs. The welds need to be cleaned up, the assy needs to be blasted then painted with black epoxy frame paint, then I will mount them on two 7/8 three piece frame clamps attached to the crash bar crossover. This should look like a factory install when done and they will fold up when not in use. That really bugged me with the last set as well as this will have a much stronger mount point. These mad the long ride very comfortable but I always had concerns with hitting something with them or dragging the ground in the twisties. With the folding pegs that is a non issue, plus it will look a whole lot better.

Old bars

Layout

Kuryakin peg mount pivot

Weld up

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, welding and grinding finished, now I need to drill my mount holes in the two tabs and finish sand and paint. This is going to be nice.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a bad cut on the wrong line, had to start over, all finished now, welded them up, ground the welds neat, finish sanded and then sprayed with a frame epoxy. They work great, fold away when not in use and the OEM pegs look like they belong there.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Damn Dave I love that set up, I would be more than willing to pay you to replicate me one too!!!! :fineprint:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I had all the stuff laying around so my cost was paint and one piece of allthread. Not sure how much they would cost to buy all the parts and then build it. Maybe Rick will see them and start making them.

You need these
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/schultz_dc/IMG_4916.jpg

you need these
Drag Specialties Universal Three-Piece Frame Clamp, Black - 7/8 inch (Each)

16" of 1/2 ID iron Pipe
6" of 1" x 1/16" steel flat
16" of 5/16 threaded rod
1 set oem footpegs
3/8 SS hardware
1 can epoxy paint

The flange on the Kury peg mounts act as your pivot stop, the mount bolts act as a tension/friction spring. I wouldnt stand on them but you cant anyway... so....
The 3 piece frame clamps get mounted to the cross bar over several wraps of rubber splicing tape.
With the peg mounts perfectly vertical the offset on the pegs is at approximately 45 degrees, which is just perfect for me.

Weld up, clean and prep for paint, mount up, very simple project as long as you measure twice and cut correctly, unlike me. LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very clean looking. AWSOME!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Although I have no use for highway pegs, I applaud your engineering and construction, very nicely done.

The design has likely already been copied, and Asian versions with substandard hardware and 7th grade metal shop welds should be hitting the market soon.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a good mount. I used the 3 piece clamps because they were a few mm bigger than the 22mm crash bars. I wrapped 2mil rubber sheet around the bar first. I would like to think it softened some of the vibration. If it actually does wo knows. With the eom pegs I feel no vibes at all, unlike my first attempt.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I was worried about vibes too, so when I hose clamped the bar on I wrapped it with Gorilla tape first....might be why the bar kept ever so slowly rotating until my feet fell off. Anyway, my pegs are oem DL650 pegs I got from a member here(Rooster) and with the U-clamps direct to the guards I feel nothing.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, thanks to Dave, I made a set for my DL650
I found an old piece of steel pipe, cut a couple thick steel tabs, found the rear footpegs off of my XS650 and put it all together.
I mounted it to see how I liked it and I do. So tomorrow I'll take it off, paint it and put it back on.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

painted and installed
[/URL][/IMG]
and folded up
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
11,531 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts