StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I would like to get a crashbar but am holding off for now. I would like to get the GIVI crashbar for looks, protection and price. I am not sure although if it is feasable to mount highway pegs from it. Do you guys with the GIVI bars think that you could mount highway pegs to it, and have it somewhat comfortable to ride with your feet on them? If not, does anyone have different bars that they have done that with? Any suggestions are appreiciated.

Zed.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kuryakyn makes some highway pegs with extenders that might work on the GIVI bars but I don't think they will be far enough forward to be comfortable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jetboy said:
Kuryakyn makes some highway pegs with extenders that might work on the GIVI bars but I don't think they will be far enough forward to be comfortable.
I agree. I have the Givi bars and tried putting my feet up to where I thought I could mount pegs and the seemed too close.

steve

·
Registered
351 Posts
CRASH BARS

Have you seen where BMW GS 1150 riders put their feet to change position!. I laughed when I saw it. On the Crash Bar above the heads, looks real comfortable (sarcasm). I think their knees would be at belly button level. I have seen abrasive tape and actual pegs mounted in this postion.

I have just taken my bike off the road for the winter, it's starting to piss down in the Lower main land of BC Canada. I removed the GIVI Crash Bars. I just bought some pegs with a 8 mm thread. The idea is to weld on a thread section at the lowest point on the bars. This would be where two pipes meet and are welded. Just above the oil cooler. The threaded section would face towards the ground. I will screw on a section of pipe, then the peg will screw into the pipe at 90 degres. This will be low enough and forward to be comfortable.

I will post in the future how it turned out.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welding

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Let me know how that works, and post some pictures.

Zed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Highway Pegs

Zed

Yes, this will take a bit more effort then just clamping on U-bolt pegs, which would be to high for comfort. It helps that I'am a Machinist. The idea is that they will be removable and I can also adjust the lenght.

scooter I will see when I have time for this

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zednedbesty did you get pegs and crashbar on

I was just wonderting if you ever got your crashbar and highway pegs mounted on your bike? How did they look and how well did they work?

Thanks,

Wells

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Highway pegs

Wells

I have welded the threaded stubs on to the crash bars and mounted the bars back on to the bike. The stubs do not sit at the perfect angle for a machinist eye, but I'am happy with them. It is hard to weld them on at the correct angles because the reference points on the bars are not at the exact angles of the way they mount on the bike. It's going to be all out of stainless steel. I used 3/4 coarse thread ready rode for the welded stubs. Found some pipe and cut a 3/4 thread. At this point all I have to do is cut the pipe to the lenght I want. Figuring about a 2 - 3 " lenght. It will have to be just above the plastic motor cover because it will not clear this. This is good because it looks like it will be far enough in to not cause problems if the bike falls over. The vulnerable oil cooler will be right beside it. With the pipe cut to lenght I will tap my 8mm thread for the pegs. I thought I could get away with one 3/4 nut locking it in place at the top but seeing the nut spin off from the vibration of the bike I will double nut it. In the new year I will try to post some pictures of this, but I'am a newbie with posting pics.

Scooter

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mounted the H&B crashbars and used a set of pegs from JC Whitney. The 1" H7B are spendy, but very ridgid and look good.
The pegs from JCW were about.$25 so the total cost wasn`t too bad & the setup works great. Their purpose is to stretch out for a bit on long rides.

Steve
`03 Strom

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the GIVI crash-bars on my bike.

You can look at the pictures at http://users.pandora.be/xlrider .

I'm getting some nasty vibrations when I reach 5800rpm and more.( stearing weel, foot-pegs,saddle )
They seem to come from the crash bars. ( it seems the crashbars amplify the little vibrations from the bike, and send them back to the frame starting at 5800rpm)

My dealer contacted GIVI.
I think they will put some plastic rings between the frame and the bars to get rid of the vibrations.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Highway Pegs

Stromies

I went down to my the apartment garage and started the bike up for my monthly warm up. I took measurements for the length of the pipes for the highway pegs. They will sit just above the belly pan. I measured the lenght to be 4". I wanted to ride the bike around the under ground parking lot, but the concrete is slick with oil and water.

scooter

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hwy Pegs

I have finished making my hwy pegs and have mounted them on my bike. I'am pleased with the way they have turned out. With in the next couple of weeks I will post the pics under V-Strom Modification Section.

Scooter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts