StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've got a new (to me) 2007 650.

I'm in the process of getting it all farkled up and the only thing missing right now is a set of highway pegs.

Realistically the bike is going to spend 99% of the time on pavement.

Having said that it would appear that most options involve the use of a skid plate to which the highway pegs then mount. I really don't have much interest in the skid plate since I won't really be doing any off-roading and am a little hesitant at the $300 cost to get the skid plate / pegs when I'm really only interested in a set of highway pegs.

Any other options out there?

Darryl

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Darryl: Can you post a picture of your bike? Does it currently have crash bars on it?

I used to have Hepco Becker Bars (no skid plate) and some really nice folding pegs that I positioned at the bottom of the bars. Yes they were higher than other methods but it was still really nice to use. They looked a lot better than the other options posted here.

They are made by Rivco: RIVCO Products, Inc.*::*Highway Mounts & Pegs scroll down and look at the all black ones with rubber pads on the to keep your boots from slipping. Very good build quality, but you have to buy the mounts separately.

Pictures of them installed are here (not my bike):http://www.stromtrooper.com/567908-post12.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have them on the skidplate, and I can tell you they cause issues with getoffs when doing even light offroading. The bike is much better off sliding in a low speed getoff than catching on the highway peg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know those don't actually look too bad.

I've got the sw-motech crash bars on the bike right now. By the looks of it I'm looking at about $100 to buy the pegs and clamps. Much better than the $300 to go the skid plate route.

Bike is at the shop right now getting new tires / safetied but when I get it back tomorrow I just might try and mock up where the pegs would be if I mounted them on the bottom of the crash bars to see if I think they'll work ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You know those don't actually look too bad.

I've got the sw-motech crash bars on the bike right now. By the looks of it I'm looking at about $100 to buy the pegs and clamps. Much better than the $300 to go the skid plate route.

Bike is at the shop right now getting new tires / safetied but when I get it back tomorrow I just might try and mock up where the pegs would be if I mounted them on the bottom of the crash bars to see if I think they'll work ok.
I installed a set of hiway pegs with the old style of Motech crashbars built by Dan Vesel. They mount to the frame of the bike independent of a skid plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vstrom Highway Pegs - Easy solution

I happen to meet "lazyguy" a couple of weeks ago up on the Cherahola Pkwy and noticed his highway pegs, something I've been wanting to do. He let me take a close look at them and how he did it - I decided that was the way to to go. The very next day in the middle of my trip and rides I found the supplies at an Ace Hardware, and in about 40mins and $15 I had highway pegs installed for my ride home a couple of days later.
Though I want to refine a couple of things, but they are basically done.
I have SW Motech crash bars, but nothing else down there - easy install.
:hurray: Excellent inexpensive solution.

Thank you Ken Wheeler - wheelersperformance.com in Robinsville for space to work and tools! Visit Wheeler's in Robinsville for the best and friendliest service.

Thank you "lazyguy"! :thumbup:

sunnyorlando

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK, so I've got a new (to me) 2007 650.

I'm in the process of getting it all farkled up and the only thing missing right now is a set of highway pegs.

Realistically the bike is going to spend 99% of the time on pavement.

Having said that it would appear that most options involve the use of a skid plate to which the highway pegs then mount. I really don't have much interest in the skid plate since I won't really be doing any off-roading and am a little hesitant at the $300 cost to get the skid plate / pegs when I'm really only interested in a set of highway pegs.

Any other options out there?

Darryl
Lazyguy's setup looks good and would probably work well with a skid plate.
Why with a skid plate you ask, well I have a skid plate on my 06 and one day I was riding on the highway with a friend who has an 08 and no skid plate. I caught a small stone with my front tire and heard a "TING" as it bounced off my skid plate. A few kilometres down the road, my friend was in the lead and sure enough, he caught a stone not a big one but the usual kind you get from truck tires and such, same as I did. Well, next thing I know he is pulling over because some smoke was coming from the exhaust header under the engine. Upon closer examination, the stone had punctured the oil filter and oil was pi$$ing out onto the pipe at speed and now onto the road. Emergency shut down!!!!!
I rode back to the Suzuki dealership and purchased a new filter and a litre of oil. We put the new filter on and topped off the oil and headed back as he wanted to survey for any more damage. Fortunately there was no more problems but he purchased and had a skid plate put on ASAP.

So please consider a skid plate even if it's just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I invested in the bashplate and placed the highway pegs on there. For my long legs this provides a great posture and relief. Worth the investment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts