StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted earlier about trying some pegs on my Wee. I bought a set from Happy Trails and attached it to my new SW Motech skid plate. I say new because they have changed from the prior skid plate set up by adding rubber grommets to the front bracket where it attaches to the crash bars. This has complicated my mod because there is play between the plate and the bracket. I suppose this was to dampen the vibration of the skid plate. Also, since the rubber grommets are flexible, I can't get a tight fit between the peg bar and plate. When I rest my feet on the pegs there is a slight twisting of the plate. I know everything in on solid but it's just not a perfectly stable platform. It was suggested to use longer bolts that connect the bracket to the crash bars and attach the peg bar to the bracket directly. I'm concerned about using a 3 1/2-4 inch bolt to hold all this together. They are not particularly thick bolts. Any suggestions?:headbang:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Try replacing the rubber with nylon washers or spacers, a cheap substitute is to cut some shapes out of an old plastic cutting board.

On the inside of the plate under the bolt head I put upto 3 washers that progressivly get larger this will put a large surface area on the inside of the plate = no flex

I also inserted a piece of thick rubber bicycle tube between the plate and both the upper and lower the mounting brakets

I have no flex in the pegs i think due to the larger washers and no vibration due to the bicycle tube which is crushed flat..... this worked for me

hope this helps

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you did give me a heads up about this issue. Unfortunately I didn't like the other set ups available and gave this a shot. It looks like MountainLagoon has a fix that I'll try. It doesn't seem this bike is really set up for long rides with your feet up anyway. It's not like a cruiser. I'm looking for just a brief alternative position which this will give me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The stock seat was the worst thing I have ever dealt with, and the Sargent wasn't great at first, but as I break it in, I like it more and more. I think the peg issue can be fixed with a day at the shop, and I will let you know how I change the current set up. I plan on using the HT pegs.

Btw, it is easy to scrape the HT pegs, if you leave them extended, so be careful. It doesn't take very aggressive riding to do so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only using the pegs on the highway. Otherwise they are folded up. I have them set high on the skid plate so no worries. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have alleviated 95% of the problem by using 2 progressively large washers and tightening them as tight as possible. While there is the slightest of movement, it's definitely tolerable.:hurray:

·
Registered
532 Posts
At last I am now back In Australia so an oil and filter change gave me a chance to take some pics that you asked for.
The spacers at the front of my plate replaced rubber that I originally had there, however I left a small piece of rubber on the back of the u-bolt.
The spacers put the plate off the crash bars and bring it froward a little which I think is better
The rubber bike tube in the rear lower mounting plate works well.
The extra washers work, the washer directly under the bolt head is a spring washer.
Also pictured is the small bolt mod I did to make the pegs sit at an angle I like.
As you can see the pegs, side stand and bottom corner of my bash plate have all scraped on tight uneven surfaced turns but it doesnt happen often enough for me to worry, the plate is there to get scratched and dented instead of the strom.
I angled the pegs back a liitle so that they "automatically" raise on twisties, once they kick up they stay up.
There is almost no flex or vibration in my peg set up,,, this works for me and I hope this helps your current peg experiment, If you have a sw-motch set up I would suggest bolting a rectange plate accrossthe bars to get a more secure attatchment.
My bash plate has taken a few good hits, so it was worth the money.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts