StromTrooper banner

Highway 441 through Georgia

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Appalachian Rider 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever taken highway 441 all the way through Georgia? I am looking for an alternative route to Iron Horse in May. I usually take I 75 all the way up to Macon, then take 129 to 441. I really do not like I75 from Valdosta to Macon. Very dangerous and very boring. I was wondering if 441 is nice the entire way. Also wondering if it is relatively safe. One last thing, can one make it through GA on 441 in one day?? Thanks

#2 ·
A lot of work is being done on I75 above Cordele. You might try 41 which runs parallel to I75 up to Perry and then get back on 75 to Macon. 41 between Perry and Macon is stop and go. 41 is actually a good route from Valdosta to Perry.

441 is a good road but in South Ga there is very little population - small towns are few and far between as are services.

#3 ·
Depends on how you qualify "a day". Taking 441 all the way would make for a 7-9hr ride. Which would be a day for for my riding style.

Are you going to Iron Horse Lodge?

Personally, I'd suggest powering through southern GA on I75 to spend the saved time enjoying the phenomenal roads N. GA.

#4 ·
I took 441 through southern GA about 15 years ago in a car. It was a slog and not particularly scenic. Plus, I got someone else's speeding ticket.

If you want to avoid the Atlanta area, I'd recommend staying on I-75 to Macon.
Then you can take 129 to 441 up through Athens, GA and on to Commerce, GA. This might take you slightly longer than the Interstate, but the Interstate around Atlanta really sucks.

Once in Commerce, GA you can decide if you want to follow 441 up to Franklin, NC or find some more interesting backroads. If you do go to Franklin, you can then pick up 28 and take it all the way to the Iron Horse. The stretch of 28 between Franklin and Almond is almost worth the price of admission alone.

Have fun.

#6 ·
Please disregard my previous post.

If the motorcycle gods are smiling upon me, I may see you there.
If they are smiling upon you, you'll likely be spared the misery.

Have fun.

Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.