StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went the back way to Kirk Creek through Fort Hunter Ligget. What would normally be a lightly traveled road is now the detour for all traffic transiting highway 1 south of Kirk creek campground. Due to a mudslide, highway 1 will be closed for a few more months but naciemiento-fergusson road is open. It's a very scenic route across the Santa Lucia range, but dodging motorhomes and impatient cagers kind of ruined it. Oh well, the ride north through big sur was worth it.

Cheers! -Kevin

·
Registered
808 Posts
My girlfriend and I stayed at Deetjen's in Big Sur on my birthday (mid-March). Due to the slide south of Monterey, of course, we had to detour over Nacimiento-Fergusson, and thru the base, as you mention. I had been this way once on my motorcycle, but it was a stormy nasty weekend, glad to be in the cage this time, mudslides all over the road, mud piled up 5 feet high on the sides of the road like snow in the Sierra. CRAZY!

Wicked windstorms all night, lost power a few times, then for our drive home, even Nacimiento-Fergusson was closed, so we had to detour all the way thru Paso Robles! The conditions on 1 were unbelievable, you'd be zipping along, dodging rivers across the road and boulders tumbling down the hill and into your path :jawdrop:

It looked like one of those absurdly overdramatized ads that convince soccer moms they need an SUV.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dang! Sorry to hear it. Well, I guess we could still come in from the Jolon way? Probably crowded there too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took Jolon road from King City to get to Fort HL and then Mission to go west. It was pretty busy too. Of note was 10 or so Ferrari's heading the other way at what was probably above the speed limit... Not that I'm judging :)
-Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts