StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else actually notice that when wearing anything with high viz colors it really does seem to reduce the number of cut-offs and near misses that they encounter on any given ride?

I've noticed lately that car drivers that normally would have cut me off do a second take and stop themselves from interrupting my travel when I wear a simple high viz vest over my jacket, as opposed to the times I don't wear it.

I usually would just wear it at night or on the freeway or if it was raining, but it's become part of my routine now rain or shine, cause it really does seem to help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always figured that I will never know the time when wearing it makes the critical difference. And that's good enough for me to wear it always.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I usually wear mine autumn and spring when the sun is low on the morning commute.

Winter the bike lights seem to do enough, and yes, the number of 'almosts' drops significantly.

This year, I havn't used it yet, but I put LED bulbs in the headlight and I'm suspecting that's accounting for the difference.

(If I never post again - I was wrong :p )

Pete

·
Registered
740 Posts
hi viz, yikes/3

When I started wearing a high visibility helmet and jacket, the number of incidents where my right of way was taken by drivers facing me (or positioned to face me) was cut by a factor of 3. I ride nearly twice every day through urban traffic, so there have been enough such incidents to easily be statistically significant. They went from once every 2-3 days to about 3 per month. For awhile, I was worried that I was not getting enough practice at sudden evasion maneuvers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anyone else actually notice that when wearing anything with high viz colors it really does seem to reduce the number of cut-offs and near misses that they encounter on any given ride?
Notice it often. However, it does not help on the mountain twisty's when there is no visibility around a corner and the a** coming the other way is taking up half of your lane.....they do move over pretty fast when they see me though.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The eyes see.
The brain notices.
They aren't the same thing.

Any way we can get a driver to notice us is good. I haven't had a close call since I started wearing hi viz...proof of nothing...I'll continue to wear it just in case.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Opinions vary of course, however, the more countermeasures you employ against an accident the better your odds must be. I make my living taking care of trauma victims, many motorcyclist. I am always asked why I continue to ride even with all I see. I say some of the best enjoyable activities in life involve an element of risk. We can choose to minimize the risk or let it all hang out. I think we all have a personal acceptable level of risk, for me is ATGATT. Others a leather vest, blue jeans and boots. I wear a hi-viz jacket because I think I feel more safe. I also use the anti SMIDSY manuever. I know I am not invincible. I am reminded of death nearly every day but I love riding for everything it provides. Freedom, stress relief and risk.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know that when I'm driving I notice high viz gear more than I do other colors although red, orange, etc stand out as well. That is why I wear it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wear an Olympia Moab jacket in neon yellow and an Arai Signet-Q helmet in matching neon. I've had two close calls in the last few months from distracted drivers. Some days I wonder if anything works with the idiots we have driving here in Phoenix.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Damn Cell phones

I wear hi-viz and hope it helps. Had 2 cut offs this past weekend both from people I could clearly see either texting or talking on their cell phones. I want a device that when I get near them and they are on their cell it gives them an electrical shock and shut the device down.

:rant:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to commute on the south boulevard of Montgomery, AL. If ever there was a motorcycle combat zone, that was it. I also observed a high level of eye contact with hi-viz gear. I wear a hi-vis jacket, black riding pants, white helmet, and ride a silver motorcycle with bags.

Strangely, I had folks flag me down twice mistaking me for a motor cop. Perhaps the improved eye contact was from being observed as a threat for a citation. I guess whatever works.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Agree Noolis

I bought construction vests when I first began to ride and have never not used them. I have seen drivers do a double take as I approach on their left, probably the vest. I followed riding buddy at night who was using a new Bilt vest and was astonished at how bright the back shoulder was, brighter than a speed limit sign. So I got one and use anytime I think it might get dark. When riding buddy following me, his vest is more visible than the headlights. At $30 it's half of other Mil Spec vests and better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It seems that there is a large use of vests themselves rather than full jackets. Would the more limited options in Hi-viz be a factor? It seems like the market has expanded a lot in the last year or two.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
switching between a grey and black KLIM to a high viz Alpinestars out here in Cali I notice more people move over a bit when splitting lanes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wear hi viz all the time (now), and I am convinced it makes a big difference. But there are still instances where cage drivers don't see me. Don't let the hi viz gear lull you into complacency.

Escape the cage!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't currently have any hi-viz gear, and ride with the assumption that I haven't been seen, but will pick stuff up as I can.
What I've noticed is that I have fewer people pulling out on me than on my son, who's much smaller bike is harder to spot for those not actively looking. I've added hi-viz reflector tape to his bike since his last incident and have already had the "get a brighter helmet" discussion with him.
It's also true that you could have a flashing yellow beacon on the bike and some cretins will still not see you, simply because they are not remotely looking for ANYONE and would have run into a Mack truck if it was there instead of a motorcycle ... and still claimed it wasn't their fault.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I bought construction vests
The class III vests (more like a short sleeved shirt) have short sleeves with reflective tape on the arms. These are more conspicuous than the other vests. The surveyor vests have pockets, and might be useful where one needs to have toll bridge or ferry fare handy. I prefer the yellow for urban riding and the orange for rural riding in green country. The sun shining through leaves or tree needles makes them about the same color as the yellow/green vests--unintentional camo.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I wear hi-viz usually - haven't upgraded my summer mesh to hi-viz. But, most of my riding is in the country with little or no traffic. I generally assume and anticipate cut off, so I try to limit my exposure to those situations. Don't know if it helps, but doesn't hurt and makes me feel better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seein' the difference

A couple years ago I embarked on a research project that 'required' (eventually) 18,000+ miles of riding. I live in hill & mountain country, so very-long sight lines are not common. I came upon one early one morning, and in the remote distance a bright yellow-green 'dust mote' caught my eye. It was two bicyclists, one with a high-vis vest. Talk about convincing! I don't know if it's made a difference to the cell-phonies, they're not looking anyway, but many others have remarked about it, "Gee, they can't miss you in that vest." "Well, my hope is that they DO."

I've chosen a vest (and am on my second, due to fading) because I can NOT see the color in my peripheral vision or mirrors, and I think that helps maintain my eye/brain sensitivity to that color. Being a vest, I can easily remove it before entering business establishments. I can also hang it over the stern to increased visibility if briefly parked on roadside.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts