StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 2004 650 has a high tickover (2K) when warm.
So far it has not bothered me because I hardly stop as live and work rurally.
I had an electrical gremlin which is now sorted, while the bike is stripped I want to sort this.
I am not sure if this is likely to be a FI issue or a simple adjustment mechanically?
Where do I start with this?

·
Registered
573 Posts
You mean idle RPM's run @ 2k when warm? I'd start with a search for Idle Adjustment threads. Here's one from times gone by:

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
@Albion453, Have you adjusted the idle screw on the left hand side of the frame to 1,300 rpm (+/- 100 rpm)? For the location of the idle screw on the K4 - K6 Wee, have a look at the pix in post #3 of Idle adjustment screw has no effect on idle RPM; low.... Take note that if you turn the adjuster in or out too many turns, the adjuster screw cable could screw loose as discussed in the linked thread. Also a reminder, to adjust the engine idle screw in small increments, with the engine at operating temp and give the engine time (2 - 4 sec) to react to the new adjustment. A cold start idle has its own fast idle adjustment setting procedure and is not controlled by this warm idle adjustment screw that is shown in the linked pix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Albion453, Have you adjusted the idle screw on the left hand side of the frame to 1,300 rpm (+/- 100 rpm)? For the location of the idle screw on the K4 - K6 Wee, have a look at the pix in post #3 of Idle adjustment screw has no effect on idle RPM; low.... Take note that if you turn the adjuster in or out too many turns, the adjuster screw cable could screw loose as discussed in the linked thread. Also a reminder, to adjust the engine idle screw in small increments, with the engine at operating temp and give the engine time (2 - 4 sec) to react to the new adjustment. A cold start idle has its own fast idle adjustment setting procedure and is not controlled by this warm idle adjustment screw that is shown in the linked pix.
Thanks Gert. I thought this had to be somewhere. I don't want to get into the electronics if it is a simple idle adjustment.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Those adjusters losen then back themselves out once you start playing with them. Nail polish on the screw where it winds into the back of the adjuster will stop that shit without causing problems later.
Decisions decisions "Pert Pink" or "Goth Black". Often found in a tub at the local chemists for $2 here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those adjusters losen then back themselves out once you start playing with them. Nail polish on the screw where it winds into the back of the adjuster will stop that shit without causing problems later.
Decisions decisions "Pert Pink" or "Goth Black". Often found in a tub at the local chemists for $2 here.
I once used 'Cherry Red' to touch up stone chips on a GPZ 550. Was the exact colour. 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts