StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2006 Vee with 9000 miles on it. When I start it up, it revs up to about 3500 or so RPM and, unless I physically twist the throttle closed, it will stay there for about 2-3 minutes until the engine warms up. Once warm it idles at about 1400 RPM which I believe to be normal but the higher RPMs while it is warming up seems to be excessive. Anyone else have this problem? If it is normal, please let me know. Thanks!
Rob

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
For 1 thing your idle RPM is too high, adjust down to about 1100 when engine is warm. Would also perform an adjustment of the throttle cables, before messing with any cold idle adjustment on the throttle bodies.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...] unless I physically twist the throttle closed[...]
Check the cables, linkages and return springs before you do any idle speed adjustment; a thorough hunt for a vacuum link would be good too.

If you mess with the idle before you fixed the problem, you'll end up not liking your bike very much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I am hoping it is in the cables or linkages. The prior owner put 1000 miles on it over the past 2 years so maybe it is just cause it has sat an awful lot. Looking forward to a day off on Monday to mess around with it.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Check the cables, linkages and return springs before you do any idle speed adjustment; a thorough hunt for a vacuum link would be good too.

If you mess with the idle before you fixed the problem, you'll end up not liking your bike very much.
Agree with checking that first, hunting for a vacuum leak not so much.:confused: Even if he first waits until the idle lowers down to 1400 and then he adjusts from there, he will still be much better off and closer than he is now. Adjust play in throttle cables, then let the bike warm up to adjust the idle speed.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I am hoping it is in the cables or linkages. The prior owner put 1000 miles on it over the past 2 years so maybe it is just cause it has sat an awful lot. Looking forward to a day off on Monday to mess around with it.
Why wait.....this is something you can fix/check in about 10 min or less.:fineprint:

·
Registered
585 Posts
You need to pick up a copy of the service manual, available at your dealer or online
It is frowned upon by the forum to download it, but if you search enough it is available

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will do! I started it up and ran it until it was warm tonight after work. Idle rpm appears closer to 1100 than 1400 and once it is warm it stays at that 1100 to 1200 rpm level. It's just those first couple of minutes when it wants to rev up to 3500-4000 rpm with my hand off the throttle. I can slow it down by twisting the throttle closed and holding it. If i let go it spins back up again. I will continue to mess around with it. A shop manual will be a wise investment...

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the throttle doesn't return on its own and you can twist it back, then you have pretty much answered your own question, something is bound up

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
You need the owners manual, it shows you how to do the adjustment for throttle cables.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
It didn't come with an owners manual so I am trying to find one to download.
The number of used bikes that I hear not coming with the owners manual, is quite disturbing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Concur. Not sure what the previous owners do with them. As the 3rd owner, there is no telling where it is now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sounds to me like a fast idle issue rather than a sticking cable.

If the cable was sticking, surely it would manifest itself in other ways too. Also, the OP mentioned that he can force the revs down with the throttle but if he releases the throttle the revs go back up. I don't think that's a sticking cable.

From the service manual (this isn't in the owners manual as far as I can see), there are a range of idle speeds on start-up that depend upon the ambient temperature.

At -5C, the bike should do 1,800-2,400 rpm and once the water temp reaches 50-60C, the fast idle should cancel and the bike should be idling normally.

The numbers change as the ambient temperature does:
15C ambient, 1,700-2,300 rpm, cancel at 45-55C
25C ambient, 1,500-2,100 rpm, cancel at 45-55C

The procedure for adjusting this on the forum/servicing manual involves one or two multi-meters and is a bit fiddly.

I had the opposite issue in that the bike didn't idle fast at all when cold. I just adjusted the fast idle screw when the bike was stone cold, just using the rev counter to make it idle around 2,300-2,400. Once it was warm - i adjusted the "normal" idle adjuster to set the idle around 1200-1250 rpm. Then let the bike cool down and started it up again to check it work ok (it did!).

The fast idle screw can be adjusted if you raise (not remove the tank and have a stubby screw-driver, you need to adjust this fairly quickly before the bike warms up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. I need to get adventurous, I guess, and try to do some maintenance beyond changing the oil by myself. I am just used to bikes that require no real "adjusting."
Just rode it for 25 miles and when it is warm, it idles fine. Made several stops and starts, got it inspected, etc., and no problem on start up each time other than when cold. Engine seems to run good and strong with plenty of power.
New problem...Noticed some weeping around the fork seals!
I have owned this bike for less than a week and already thinking about selling it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts