StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get a good Bluetooth set-up on my new helmet. I got the Sena SMH10 with speakers. Well, at highway speeds the audio quality is poor. So I'm changing the clamp and switching to ear buds. I'm looking for a high quality comfortable set of ear buds. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i did the same thing. i went with shure se-215k. definitely not cheap but they stay in my ears and sound prety damn good even at speed in windy conditions. oh, and they are fairly flush so they don't hurt the earholes!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,143 Posts
Before you give up on the Sena helmet speakers, have you experimented with where the speakers are placed? Makes all the difference in the world for quality and volume. I wear foam ear plugs and can hear my helmet speakers quite well at 80 mph speeds. I do have a fairly quiet windscreen setup however.

I had the kit that allowed you to use the earbuds. I had some Shure SE210's which worked well. But I got tired of the ritual of putting them in the trying to get the helmet on without moving them. To me they are not as comfortable for all days rides compared to regular ear plugs.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Before you give up on the Sena helmet speakers, have you experimented with where the speakers are placed? Makes all the difference in the world for quality and volume. I wear foam ear plugs and can hear my helmet speakers quite well at 80 mph speeds. I do have a fairly quiet windscreen setup however.

I had the kit that allowed you to use the earbuds. I had some Shure SE210's which worked well. But I got tired of the ritual of putting them in the trying to get the helmet on without moving them. To me they are not as comfortable for all days rides compared to regular ear plugs.
Agreed.. I can hear my Sena quiet well using the stock speakers even when I am wearing my ear plugs inside the helmet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree try moving the speakers, I have found that just moving them a 1/4 inch can make a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Kid does the speakers plus earplugs on the SENA 20s

I do UltimateEars with the Sena because I want the sound quality even tho I lose some attenuation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YKG2UK/ref=psdc_172541_t3_B0019RBJOE

I also just got

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Musicians-Detachable/dp/B00SLVB71Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435292626&sr=1-2&keywords=MEElectronics

based on very good reviews and love the construction.

and the kit

Note the take a bit of burn in before the bottom end reveals itself.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The Yamaha EPH-50's are awesome headphones for helmet use, especially when combined with the Comply S400 foam tips. All day comfort, extremely good audio quality, and very reasonably priced. They go on and fit very flat under a helmet, and don't "collapse" your ear canal as some models I've tried tend to do.

The EPH-20's are almost as good and can be found under $20 on Amazon, the only difference is not quite as efficient and deep of a bass sound, but nearly as good (I used these when working or mowing, since I tear them up there).

I have bought probably 15-20 models over the years and these are my winners.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What works well for each of us depends entirely on the shape and size of your ear canals. Mine are small and the only buds that fit under my helmet are Entymotic ER-6i. Unfortunately, they are discontinued, and fortunately for me, I have a lifetime supply.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input guys. First I'll take Terry's advise. The speaker pockets on my helmet weren't close to my ear canal. After filling in the pocket cut-out with foam, I moved the speakers with Velcro for the best sound. This took some work and tomorrow I'll road test it. This has got to be better... I never Knew there so many ear bud options and appreciate all the links.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After moving the speakers to dead center of my ear canals the sound was much better. I still want better audio and some of my bikes have zero wind protection so I'll go with the ear bud option. Using the Sena with multi-pairing, GPS and music and intercom is something I should've tried long ago!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a set of cheap eBay helmet speakers (2nd set) and like someone else said placement is the key. The first time I put them in I couldn't hear them at all. I was super pissed but then moved them just a tiny bit. 1/4 inch will change the sound drastically.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Picked up a pair of these two months ago - Dual Driver at Degauss Labs ? | We make Android earphones Great sound and quality. Never thought I'd spend $80 on earphones but they are worth it. I knew I had to have them after reading a couple of reviews - very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been using ear buds for quite some time and have now found the ultimate buds:

Skull Candy ear buds at Target, $9.99 with two sizes of ends.

They are awesome, try them.
4, 6 to go

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I've been using ear buds for quite some time and have now found the ultimate buds:

Skull Candy ear buds at Target, $9.99 with two sizes of ends.

They are awesome, try them.
4, 6 to go
Skullcandy buds and headphones are great, especially considering the price. I used the Ink'd when running wired in the past (now use a Sena) and use the Chops when jogging.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh man, Y'all are paying a lot for earbuds... I have several sets of these Panasonic RPHJE120 that sell for $6 on prime, come in a bunch of colors, and are the most comfortable have worn, and actually stay in my ear.

I used these with my helmet for several months before I got my BT headset and they were great. They come with 3 sizes of rubbers, and they're cheap enough that you can lose them/break them and who cares, just have some back-ups.

Some of you may obsess of sound quality and say they aren't great SQ, but they have had better sound than others IMO, plus they are comfortable enough that I can actually listen all day everyday, and they were comfortable the entire hour long commute home inside my helmet (which fits tight).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts