StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 1000 Strom and it has a high pitched whine (almost a squeal) that appears to be electrical related. If I turn on my handwarmers or even hit the brake (so the brake light comes on) it almost always goes away. As soon as I release the break or turn off the electrical load, it returns. This very annoying sound can be heard at idle or even when riding at lower speeds. It probably is there at higher revs but harder to hear due to the other sounds drowning it out. Not sure if it's just annoying or the first stage of something bigger. Anyone have a similar issue or knowledge of what is causing this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I'm new to these bikes, but can you pinpoint an area it is coming from?

Does it sound the same as when the key is first turned on and the fuel injection starts? or something else?

Does it change if you pull the seat off, or any of the covers? Is it louder on one side of the bike or the other?

When did it start? Have you added anything new lately? Pulled the tank off? Could there be a shorted wire someplace?

Sounds like you need to investigate further to troubleshoot it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
There is a chance your high pressure fuel filter is plugged, and you are hearing the pump strain or the relief valve wining. The 1000 has a gear driven valve train which can make a wine. One other thing. Disconnect your horn to confirm it is not the culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I did get a laugh from the Deliverance part, I was hoping for something a little more, uh, helpful.
It is very difficult to pinpoint the origin (definitly not the horn as someone suggested), and not a mechanical valve train type noise either. The noise begins about 1 minute after starting the bike, and gets progressivly louder as it warms up. As it disapears as soon as something electrical is activated, and returns as soon as it is switched off, I am doubting it's mechanical although the theory of the fuelpump or relief valve is a slight possibility. It seems to originate from the front portion of the motor, nothing new has been added or removed and I don't see any loose wires. I purched this bike used recently and after I got rid of the other vibrations this seems like the last hurdle to feeling I can trust the beast.
Any non-Deliverance opionins would be appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Get a mechanic's stethoscope or even put a piece of tubing the right diameter to fit your ear and put an earplug in the other ear. Locate the source area and get back to us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
same whiny wound

I am wondering if you ever figured this out.
I just came back from a trip and experienced the same high pitched whining sound. It comes and goes (and is not the fuel pump as I can hear that when I turn on the ignition).
It does not change at all with the bike's revs.
Also, I have owned this DL1000 for 4 years and I believe have come to know the everyday kind of sounds it makes ... this is not normal. That said, the bike's performance appears completely normal.
I'll be pulling the tank off soon ... my thoughts are possibly something to do with the air filter, given the almost whistling quality to the sound.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Hmm. sounds similar to what i have on my 04. A few days after returning from a trip it started. It comes and goes now. Seems to be getting better actually. I have been putting non ethanol gas in the tank lately to see if it helps, and coincidence or not, it does seem to.

I am planning on running some seafoam in my tank, but it needs to sit in the engine a few days to do anything, so i need a period when i will not be running the bike for a few days. Maybe after my all day ride tomorrow i will put this in and see.

I suspect on my bike it is the fuel pump filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts