StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

I currently ride an EX500 that I have had owned for about 5 years. I have recently taken my wife on her first ride, and she fell in love with riding. I am now looking at getting another bike with more room, more comfort, more torque, and more carrying capacity for luggage. The 650 and 1000 V-Stroms have really peaked my interest.

I have come across an '09 that looks to be in pretty good shape, but has 39,000 miles on it. From what I can tell, the bike has been well-maintained, and the dealer supposedly went through and changed fluids, etc. I would hate to buy a bike with this many miles, but they are only asking $3,500 for it.

What do you all think of something like that?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah, these bikes aren't like bar-hopping Harley's that are considered high mileage when the odometer hits five figures.

These bikes get ridden a lot...generally...and will last easily into the hundreds of thousands of miles with normal maintenance. My bike has over 40K mile on it and runs better than most new bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called the dealer and my brother in law rode by to check out the bike today (I live about 1.5 hours away and can't get over there before they close). The bike is in great mechanical shape. It has a few scratches, will need tires soon, and the salesman said that the front forks probably need to be freshened up. With the cash discount price, then buying tires and working on the front forks, the bike would be somewhere around $3,700 to $3,800 when all is said and done.

I am going to go check out the bike in person, hopefully either this weekend or next. My brother in law said that it's a much taller bike than my EX500, but that it shouldn't be too tall for me hopefully, just need to try it in person.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Definitely taller, wider and heavier than your EX500 but once under way all that weight drops away. Just be more cautious at walking speeds. You will find that you will want to explore further afield on a V-Strom.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Engine just broken in, you have at least 100K of happy miles left. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
All the previous posts are correct. The question becomes, what is your intended purpose for bike, and what is your budget. In addition, how many miles per year will you be riding on this bike? Only you can make this decision. I for one would not buy a bike without ABS brakes. They have saved me more than once on motorcycles and cars. There are many choices out there, and I am sure a number of Vstroms for sale. You do have great taste in bikes, I loved my '11 650 Vstrom, and love to death my '14 vstrom 1000. Good luck with your decision making - if you choose a Vstrom you cannot go wrong!:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as how many miles I will plan to ride each year, I really have no idea. Up to this point I have had the 500 that I have only ridden occasionally to work and then rides with the guys on random weekends. Now that my wife is riding with me, and loving it I might add, I feel like we will put quite a few more miles on it than I have ever put on the Ninja.
Whatever bike I do end up getting, I will probably ride to work a couple days each week (about 25 miles round trip) and then her and I will probably ride quite a bit on weekends for fun / transportation if it isn't raining.
I really like the idea of having a bike with ABS, but I am having trouble finding any for quite this good of a price around here. To be able to afford a new bike, I am likely going to have to sell my Ninja along with two of my dirt bikes, which keeps my budget somewhere around the $4K marker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got to go look at the bike today. It's in pretty good shape, has a few scratches, tires are about 50 percent, brakes, sprocket s, and chain appear in good shape.they came down to 3200 on the price.

I have one question. The salesman, who seems like a pretty straight forward guy, recommended that with this bike having this amount of miles and going to be used for a lot of two up riding (my wife and I combine to a total of 300 pounds) that I have the front forks serviced. This would cost about 700 bucks. What do you guys think of that?

Sitting on the bike I loved it. I was just about 1/2inch shy of being able to flat foot. My wife Said sitting on the back was super comfy compared to the ninja.

On a side note they also had a like new 2007 1250 bandit with 8k miles.drool.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The salesman, who seems like a pretty straight forward guy, recommended that with this bike having this amount of miles and going to be used for a lot of two up riding (my wife and I combine to a total of 300 pounds) that I have the front forks serviced. This would cost about 700 bucks. What do you guys think of that?
$700? Is that the dealerships price or what he believes anybody would charge you? I just got a brand new set of Sonic Springs for under $100 to replace the OEM front springs, and it made a world of difference. It was a few hours of work to get in there and get them replaced. $700 sounds way high to me. What's the hourly rate for labor your shop charges?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what they would be charging for parts and labor if I had them do it there. I'm not sure of their hourly rate, but it seemed steep to me as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
It sounds to me like a bit of "value adding" by the salesman. A common strategy in retailing.

If you buy the bike you should ride it a while before deciding what if anything you want to spend money on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Over the last few minutes I've been researching the Sonic Spring kit and some of the installs forum members have documented. I think my dad and I could easily knock that out if needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My salesman called this morning. He spoke with the parts dept. and the service dept. and got exact pricing. He said that he was sorry he was off on his figure, but he prefers to overprice on his guesstimate quote as opposed to having to ask for more money later. I was looking at $1,000 for a new set of Anakees and the front fork service on the first quote where he was just estimating. The exact pricing came to $687 for a new set of Anakees installed and the front forks fully rebuilt. That will bring the bike to $3887. I'm going to go take one last look at it, and probably go ahead and throw a deposit down on it so they can order parts and tires. At that price for the front fork work, I dont mind paying them to take care of it.
Thanks again for everyone's input!!

·
Super Moderator
13,081 Posts
I have one question. The salesman, who seems like a pretty straight forward guy, recommended that with this bike having this amount of miles and going to be used for a lot of two up riding (my wife and I combine to a total of 300 pounds) that I have the front forks serviced. This would cost about 700 bucks. What do you guys think of that?
I wouldn't bother doing it. If the forks are leaking you probably can fix for less that $25 by getting Sealmate. Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net and spending 10 minutes of your time.

By the bike, bring it home, ride it. Then see how it performs for you.

If you need to do it taking The shocks apart and putting in new springs isn't a hard job, nor is changing the oil in the forks. You are probably much better off spending money on the rear shocks as that is where most of the weight of riding two-up is going to go.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Unless you are comfortable wrenching your own bike, and it sounds like you are not, then it comes down to what is it worth for you.

It seems reasonable enough to me, but I am in Canada, and the tires probably cost 60% more here.
Blair at SV racing supplied me with everything I needed for my suspension upgrade, and was a wealth of knowledge, replacing the spring on the rear is a very inexpensive way to upgrade the stock damper.

and BTW my 2009 has over 100,000 miles on it, so yours is not really a high miler at all....

·
Registered
663 Posts
motopsycho92... it's a 2009 ORANGE Wee. The best year and color of all the Wee's! ;)

Seriously... sounds like a good deal. Bike's in good shape, well taken care of.

And again... it's ORANGE!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've got another suggestion, If you are keeping the 500, why not get the wife riding that while you ride your new Strom?
I've got an 07 650 and my husband has just got the new 2014 1000. We love getting out on the bikes either together or on our own,
What ever you decide, I'm sure you'll love the wee

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Second that!

I wouldn't bother doing it. If the forks are leaking you probably can fix for less that $25 by getting Sealmate. Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net and spending 10 minutes of your time.

By the bike, bring it home, ride it. Then see how it performs for you.

If you need to do it taking The shocks apart and putting in new springs isn't a hard job, nor is changing the oil in the forks. You are probably much better off spending money on the rear shocks as that is where most of the weight of riding two-up is going to go.

..Tom
If you have any wrenching talent you can do most of the fork work yourself. First use the bike for a while and see what it really needs or what really annoys you. That also gives you some time to read what others here have done, which is very valuable free advise. No need to reinvent the wheel. Many had the same issues or questions you are going to have and there are many good answers here.

Just saw this one in Michigan. May be woth a thought ....

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/224961-fs-08-dl650a-some-goods.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts