StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 DL650 with 49k on it. It ran good , but I knew it needed lots of love. I didn't pay much, so I have been going through it. So far I have, rebuild calipers,new rotors, new pads, new rad, new bearings front and rear, tires, new fork seals, plugs, starter, chain , both sprockets, and of course all associated fulids. I'm looking for any other advise on what else I should address that may not be obvious. This bike is going on a 2500 miles trip around Baja this spring.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Welcome! That is really not "high mileage". Once you have doubled it than maybe.

You have done a lot already. How about Valve clearance check? And did you change the coolant? Best combined with a coolant change. Remove the radiator, makes access to the front cylinder much easier.

Whilst all is off, check all electrical connectors for oxidation, clean if necessary and re-assemble with dielectric grease. Check the starter switch for corrosion, especially if there is no headlight relay kit installed. Get the kit if not installed.

Check tank and fuel pump pre-filter. Any crud accumulated in the sump, any rust? Do the fuel flow test.

… Get the service and repair manual and check to see what I missed.

Suspension: I would get ricor intiminators for the forks and have someone rebuild the OEM rear shock. Both will transform the bike.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The radiator needed replacing? Here are a few more things:
Battery YTX12-BS Yuasa (best)
Air cleaner
acf50 in all electrical connectors above radiator
+1 on head light relay

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Rad was corroded on the outside and fairly beat, so... Just replaced the battery, forgot to put it on the list. Where can I find the headlight relay kit. Any suggestion on a volt meter ?

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Any suggestion on a volt meter ?
My DL650 power socket gets its power from the heated grips connector which is powered by the key. See the thread https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/73183-heated-grips-wiring-photo-connector-location.html It is under the tank/airbox and just behind the radiator. https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/73183-heated-grips-wiring-photo-connector-location.html

I wired a voltmeter in before the socket for my GPS/phone whatever. Some have commented that the plug works itself loose over bumps but the one I purchased has a "lock" in it with a small twist to the right once the plug is inserted.

You can find the plug and voltmeter I used here:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/marine-grade-10a-cigarette-power-socket-with-panel-surface-mount-brackets/p/PS2020
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V-LED-Panel-Digital-Voltage-Volt-Meter-Display-Voltmeter-Motorcycle-Car-/382581384207

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
It is one of the 10 or so Warning stickers attached to my bike. This one warning of using the hollow space within the forks tunnel for storing things like your wet weather gear or lunch box. LMAO. :grin2: And of course in three languages!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I picked up a 2007 with 49k in April. Changed all the fluids, plugs and put some new tires on. And recently new pads on the rear. Everything else I've done has been for comfort or fun. Now it has 56k on it and runs great.

49k is not high miles and you should not have to do much. Sounds like you covered the basics and more already.

Have fun and go ride it!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I bought a 2007 DL650 with 49k on it. It ran good , but I knew it needed lots of love. I didn't pay much, so I have been going through it. So far I have, rebuild calipers,new rotors, new pads, new rad, new bearings front and rear, tires, new fork seals, plugs, starter, chain , both sprockets, and of course all associated fulids. I'm looking for any other advise on what else I should address that may not be obvious. This bike is going on a 2500 miles trip around Baja this spring.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Ever read a post and thought to yourself "aww that's cute".

:grin2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
You haven't mentioned greasing suspension pivot bearings, also if you want to get carried away the steering head and swingarm pivot would be about due.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts