StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Time to get back into the garage and start installing all of those gifts santa sent me. One is a set of VVME Slim Ballast HID lights. Have started looking around for the best install post but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for instillation posts. Pictures are my best friend so the more pictures the happier I am.

Cheers
Al

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
assuming you have seem this:
from this thread:Farkling my Wee with the good stuff?

and if you have the ABS version, this setup is needed:

My own instal of the VVME version:

there is no further pictures - the instal is actually relatively straight forward:

take of the from headlight/fairing attach blasts and bulbs and bingo.... time spent is on design best routing of harness and yes u do have to shorten supplied harness a bit as it is designed for car.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Farkling my Wee with the good stuff? is one thread. The top picture location on AceRider's post did not work. See the thread.
I have some pics of mine. I have house grounding rod clamps from Home Depot clamped to the fairing frame and holding aluminum bar or angle stock. One side holds a fuse block and one ballast while the other side holds a Stebel horn and the other ballast.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks everyone..Greywolf..where did you plug yours into. can I use the plugs that the lights currently connect to or do I need some cutting and splicing..Understand I should run my ground back to my fuse block

Al

·
38,103 Posts
I did a cut and splice from the headlight leads for control and leads to the fuse block for power.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Farkling my Wee with the good stuff? is one thread. The top picture location on AceRider's post did not work. See the thread.
top pic is good for those who does NOT have ABS - the other 2 pics for those who have - keeping the weight as close to the body bike as possible assist "mass centralisation" :mrgreen:, and hence if u dont have ABS, top pic is still a pretty good choice.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't get why the 2nd mounting option is needed if you have ABS. My Wee has ABS and my mounting looks like the first one. Though I did it with bike completely assembled.

·
38,103 Posts
I don't get why the 2nd mounting option is needed if you have ABS. My Wee has ABS and my mounting looks like the first one. Though I did it with bike completely assembled.
From John's post.

My first surprise was when I remounted the front sub-frame I had trouble with the HID install. The ABS terminal along with the front brake line interfered with cables coming out of the ballast. No mater how I rearranged things I could not get it to work. So it was time for Rev 2 HID.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Greywolf

So when you say revision 2 for the HID's, can I assume that is the pic of them mounted opposite to the stebel horn.

When you say had to cut and splice the wires for control do you primarily mean cut and run both the + and - back to a fuse box under the seat?

Sorry for my poor knowledge in electronics..Just want to gleam what I can from you prior to beginning the job

Cheers
Al

·
38,103 Posts
Positions 1 and 2 refer to the first two pictures in post #2 on John Weldon's bike. The Stebel is on my bike. I have a fuse block and ballast on the left with a Stebel horn and second ballast on the right.

On my bike, control wires use the stock wires with the headlight connectors cut off to supply the headlight relay and power the solenoids built into the bulb bases to switch between high and low beam. Power wires connect to my fuse block.

The HID kit is set up to plug into the stock headlight wires for control and connect to the battery for power. If you are unfamiliar with electrical modification, just follow the instructions with the kit. If you have a fuse block, use that instead of the battery. The kit will have more wire than you need so you can bundle it. More advanced installers can cut the low voltage wires to a more convenient length. Do not cut or modify the high voltage wires that go between the ballasts and the lamps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, I installed my ballasts either side of the mounting bracket like in picture one (no ABS, so should have been good, right?). I was just getting to the point of wiring up everything to my fuse box when I thought I'd better check the steering. Turning to the right is fine, but turning to the left the brake lines get pinched between the ballast and the fork leg and I'm left about 1/2" short of full lock.

I'm going to keep the left ballast where it is, all I have to do now is find a location for the right hand one.

Maybe I'll put it up top like in picture 2.

If an install is going too well, I can guarantee I'll end up having to start again!

Update: Installed the right ballast forward and higher than the left. Forks now clear. Got them all wired up and only one ballast was working. Found the problem was where I had spliced 2 earth wires to one to go to the fuse box. Both working now. Tested them in the dark and they are incredible! I bought 8,000k with the solenoid high/low beam and they work great. Low beam cut-ff line looks a little high, but it's very sharp in the stock position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts