StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Monimoto 5 and I've placed it in a neat area underneath the seat and under a side panel but it's not that hard to find, the space under the seat looks quite cramped to start with, has anyone got any better suggestions where to place it? Preferably without needing the take the bike to pieces as it needs to be accessible for changing the batteries once a year etc.

2022 V-Strom 650

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a Monimoto 5 and I've placed it in a neat area underneath the seat and under a side panel but it's not that hard to find, the space under the seat looks quite cramped to start with, has anyone got any better suggestions where to place it? Preferably without needing the take the bike to pieces as it needs to be accessible for changing the batteries once a year etc.

2022 V-Strom 650
I have been thinking about this (not that I was going to fit a tracker as much, as say, just thinking as I was doing other things with the bike! I don't know how big the MM5 is, so ymmv with these locations.

You could try and hide it down between the fuel tank and outer cowling (if there's enough room), there's a big harness on my '17 that runs down the LHS as you sit on the bike (you can see it if you peer down the hole where the steering is). A lot of metal in the tank / frame though there to interfere.

Another place may be behind the dash - follow instructions for changing the headlight, there's a metal frame in there you might be able to sneak it into/secure it, and when buttoned all back up you wouldn't know it was there.

A third place (but just a theory from me), if you were to block the EVAP system off, leave all hoses, etc, in place, and remove the canister innards and place it in there. No idea if that'd work, although i've read a few people have removed this with no ill effects to gain more under-seat storage space. Not something you probably want to do on a 2022 bike.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A
86 Posts
There's lots of nooks and crannies in the plastics and fairings to hide something. I once owned a bike for almost two years that i had worked on and taken that thing apart many times. I eventually found a key hidden by the previous owner. Just don't forget where you put it in case you want to retrieve it some time.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,569 Posts
Not sure about your model but I would be looking at velcroing it into the top inside of the tailpiece. Most would not look there. My preference would be a wired with battery backup unit using the tail light wiring to top up the battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure about your model but I would be looking at velcroing it into the top inside of the tailpiece. Most would not look there. My preference would be a wired with battery backup unit using the tail light wiring to top up the battery.
I believe the Monimoto are battery only, but does give the advantage that you don't need to run wires to it!

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,569 Posts
Fine, but making it easy to remove also makes it easy to find. My preference would be to disassemble the tailpiece once and wire into the tail light.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
On my MT09 I was able to fit it under the battery.

Reactions: Gert and StatusRed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

What's involved taking apart the tailpiece? It looks quite flat and not much space, is there a big void in the space that it does take up then?

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,569 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.
What's involved taking apart the tailpiece? It looks quite flat and not much space, is there a big void in the space that it does take up then?
Each models plastic is slightly different but as the unit is so small there must be many suitable hiding places on your bike. Sure you may have to take things apart first time to fit, but if you do it right it should be possible to find an unseen place to velcro the unit where it can be removed by hand IF you knew where it was.
As an alternative Rolex's suggestion of under the battery is a good one although the first thing anyone other than a joyrider would do is remove the battery.
Product Gesture Font Gadget Electronic device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Each models plastic is slightly different but as the unit is so small there must be many suitable hiding places on your bike. Sure you may have to take things apart first time to fit, but if you do it right it should be possible to find an unseen place to velcro the unit where it can be removed by hand IF you knew where it was.
As an alternative Rolex's suggestion of under the battery is a good one although the first thing anyone other than a joyrider would do is remove the battery.
View attachment 302130
I believe SR's is the MM5, it's a cylindrical shape/size.

Had my seat off today and you may be able to fit it behind the charcoal canister as it's on rubber mounts, it'll then be relatively out of sight. I've put one of my bundles of camera cables behind there.

You could possibly place it under the battery tray? Would probably take a bit of securing in place, and would be away from anyone other than the most dedicated thief. Problem is it may be below too much metal to actually talk to the cell network or receive GPS?

This picture is from the MM site for recommended locations. Thin end apparently should point outwards?

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Parallel

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,569 Posts
My error - I googled Monimoto 5 and Monimoto.com showed me the image above.
That is a more difficult shape to hide and yes steel may obscure the signal and I see that they also recommend the tailpiece.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Put it in a drawer next to your insurance agents phone number;)

• Haha
Reactions: Gert and StatusRed
1 - 13 of 13 Posts